Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Not sure they can really make the phone thinner as the camera module is the limiting factor. Thinner phone would mean poorer camera.

That's doesn't sounds like a statement that is forward thinking. I'm sure there are possibilities that you simply haven't been able to imagine.

----------

I really hope this means an IGZO 4.8" 2272x1280 display for the iPhone 6, I want to believe!

No way...

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Haha...far from it. I'd venture to guess I've been using Apple products longer than you've been alive. I think most Apple products are great, but I also think there are fanatics out there who have blind allegiance to Apple. I'm not an iHater, unless your definition of one includes despising fanatics who worship a consumer electronics company.

I am older than you think. Maybe I sound like a fanatic. I like Apple doing what they need to so they can deliver new technology to me. If it means investing in Sharp to get it done, then I'm for it.

Maybe it isn't 'innovating', it's just good vision and planning.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
That's doesn't sounds like a statement that is forward thinking. I'm sure there are possibilities that you simply haven't been able to imagine.

----------

No way...

It's physics. The sensor size determines how far away the lens must be to focus light over the entire sensor.
The bigger the sensor, the taller the module needs to be account for this.

They have just made the sensor larger, not smaller.

The 5s sensor is currently 8.6 mm x 7.8 mm x 5.6 mm (5.6mm tall)

So I'd say minimum thickness would be 5.6mm plus the thickness of the screen plus some kind of very tiny gap between the two .

I can't find a measurement for the ipad air igzo screen depth, just %'s but that may be a good starting point.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It's physics. The sensor size determines how far away the lens must be to focus light over the entire sensor.
The bigger the sensor, the taller the module needs to be account for this.

They have just made the sensor larger, not smaller.

The 5s sensor is currently 8.6 mm x 7.8 mm x 5.6 mm (5.6mm tall)

So I'd say minimum thickness would be 5.6mm plus the thickness of the screen plus some kind of very tiny gap between the two .

I can't find a measurement for the ipad air igzo screen depth, just %'s but that may be a good starting point.

But your whole assumption is based on the thought that the lens inside the phone must be fixed. Who's to say they won't ever come out with one that shoots out when you want to take a picture?

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
But your whole assumption is based on the thought that the lens inside the phone must be fixed. Who's to say they won't ever come out with one that shoots out when you want to take a picture?

I think you're clutching at straws there.

While what you suggest may be possible, its not feasible or practical.

It would need more space for the mechanism to move the lens, the mechanism would be libel to let dust in, especially when putting the phone in/out your pocket all the time. It'd also be a weak mechanical point in an otherwise solid design.

I'd say, if anything they would go with the lens protruding slightly like it does on the ipod touch 5th gen, or a teardrop design.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
In the MR iPad Air forums there are reports of uneven/discolored displays. My Air was bluish and darker on the left side. I returned it, will wait awhile and try again. Could this be related to Fewer backlights?

I just got a iPad Air and I have not seen any tint issues with the screen. I even compared the same photos on the iPad Air, my iPhone 5 and my 2011 27" iMac.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Wow. Elitist first world problems much. I usually ignore posts like yours but I couldn't take it. Get a grip. Please buy the kindle hdx if you need the "best display"
Would have been better to simply ignore my post then, because your answer is pretty much "I want to post in a forum, because I can".

People buy expensive Apple products, because they have something special for them, may it be thinner, faster, lighter, higher quality, etc.

People pay a price premium for Apple products.

If you just cannot comprehend simple things like this, you better should stay away from posting altogether in the future.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I still stand by my original post. Elitist first world problems. People buy Apple products "believing" they are getting the best technology. That is not always the case. They are getting superior customer service and social recognition aka "cool factor". I own many Apple products not because of what the specs are but because the products works well for my lifestyle. I don't care about the "best".

You sir can go ahead and spend your money thinking you are getting the best and being disappointed. I'd rather spend my money without those expectations and knowing that I am getting a Apple device that works for me regardless of the specs.

Like you said, the internet is open to all for posting. You complained about not getting the best for your money. So I replied telling you to get a grip and buy what you want. If you want the best display, buy it. Complaining about a company not giving you what you want is futile.

I know this is a really old post but I felt like I had to reply. I'm sorry if I offended you. Please have a nice day.

Would have been better to simply ignore my post then, because your answer is pretty much "I want to post in a forum, because I can".

People buy expensive Apple products, because they have something special for them, may it be thinner, faster, lighter, higher quality, etc.

People pay a price premium for Apple products.

If you just cannot comprehend simple things like this, you better should stay away from posting altogether in the future.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I still stand by my original post. Elitist first world problems. People buy Apple products "believing" they are getting the best technology. That is not always the case. They are getting superior customer service and social recognition aka "cool factor". I own many Apple products not because of what the specs are but because the products works well for my lifestyle. I don't care about the "best".

You sir can go ahead and spend your money thinking you are getting the best and being disappointed. I'd rather spend my money without those expectations and knowing that I am getting a Apple device that works for me regardless of the specs.

Like you said, the internet is open to all for posting. You complained about not getting the best for your money. So I replied telling you to get a grip and buy what you want. If you want the best display, buy it. Complaining about a company not giving you what you want is futile.

I know this is a really old post but I felt like I had to reply. I'm sorry if I offended you. Please have a nice day.

I would like to know what is the "best technology" in the first place. The most advanced technology is the one that is being tested right now, is still buggy, and would provide a very bad customer experience, which is the reason why it will not be used in consumer devices for a few months or years. And it is always the case. Apple products do not use necessarily the most advanced technology available for consumer devices, but it has consistently provided a good user experience. In any case, what should be considered technology? The processor, the memory and the video card are representative of technology. But so is the display, the touch-screen mechanism, the keyboard, the handling of materals and the way they are tied together, the manufacturing process, the software, the programming language. Pretty much everything requires some degree of technology. In this sense, perhaps one could say that Apple products have the best technology overall.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
In context of display. The forum poster said he wanted a display as good as or if not better than the kindle fire HDX. So I said he should buy the HDX, not complain that Apple doesn't have the best display and that Apple should give him the best because he is buying a premium product.

I love Apple products but I am not disillusioned by them nor fooled into thinking I am buying the best. I am buying something that suits my needs. Everyone's needs are different and they should buy what fits their needs instead of complaining why "XYZ" company isn't giving them what they want.

I would like to know what is the "best technology" in the first place. The most advanced technology is the one that is being tested right now, is still buggy, and would provide a very bad customer experience, which is the reason why it will not be used in consumer devices for a few months or years. And it is always the case. Apple products do not use necessarily the most advanced technology available for consumer devices, but it has consistently provided a good user experience. In any case, what should be considered technology? The processor, the memory and the video card are representative of technology. But so is the display, the touch-screen mechanism, the keyboard, the handling of materals and the way they are tied together, the manufacturing process, the software, the programming language. Pretty much everything requires some degree of technology. In this sense, perhaps one could say that Apple products have the best technology overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.