Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i think original Apple's iPad case is the best. I know i can get better one with real leather and stuff but they are all thicker than the original Apple's iPad case. Agree? i don't really like to put it in the case anyway but when i take it outside i have no choice but to put it in the case. so i want compact not really bulky case. What do you guys think?

I think i'm gonna get one...

Thanks

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
It doesn't really offer much protection from drops but it'll keep it from scratches and stuff. Nice that you can prop it up though, also around the side it does gather a bit of dirt which is mice to clean out every now and again.

I love mine though and hope you love yours too

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yep, love the Apple case, so much so that it feels like actually a part of my iPad. Never out of mine (other than a clean), aside from the obvious angle/stand benefits I find it far easier to hold and more practical with the case.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I agree. I've used Macally Bookstand, Macally FlexFit, be.ez Laroube and Yoobao. The Apple case beats them all! I love that it's slim and light, the case works really good in the typing position, much better than either the Yoobao or the Bookstand. I'm not concerned about the lesser protection of the Apple case as I usally carry it in my business briefcase. On weekends when I use a messenger bag I slip the Apple case inside the be.ez, it fits but you can't close the zipper all the way.

And in regards to the "dust magnet"... a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth is all that's needed.

I wish I'd got the Apple case in the beginning, would have saved me a few dollars :)

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I like it too. The smallest one to have some stands and a case that covers most parts of the device. The outlets and switches are all available and partly unprotected but good sinked-in. And yes it collects dust (you can see it easy because it's matte black) but it's quick to clean. Maybe there should be a grey version where you can't see the dust that easy. The material feels new and modern. The case looks nice, elegant and unobtrusive. The Apple logo is discreet too.

The first time when I tried it I thought I would never get the iPad out again of the new case (fits firmly) but it's getting better with the time because it seems to wear out a bit and you'll learn how to make use of the proper grip movements. So consider that if you plan to put the iPad in and out often, it's not that easy at the beginning.

It's perfect for all apps that run in landscape orientation. When you have apps that require portrait orientation you can't use the stands (okay you can stand it upright in portrait if you put the back cover plate out of the flap but it's not very stable). And I needed some time to get used to have the home button at the left side in "typewriter position" (maybe you have to lift the device a bit when you want to reach the +/- volume buttons).

The "movie watching position" (upright horizontal) is not very stable too but the iPad's screen is perfectly protected (with the case's frame) when it falls on it's front side on flat surfaces. Happened here. :eek: (Just be careful not to put sharp objects in front of the device.) It's more stable in that position when you put some heavy things like old batteries or paper weights into the case/stand's cavity.

But after all it's as small and lightweight as possible (although a friend said that it's heavier than it looks like) for the given features. I tried another similar one in the shop (Belkin afair) but it was inferior for me (bulkier and looking cheap).

Highly recommended.

tizzl10

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
i love my apple ipad case..yes it collects dust, but with a simple damp cloth wipe it's clean again..and the sharp edges? if that bothers you then you are a wuss.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i love my apple ipad case..yes it collects dust, but with a simple damp cloth wipe it's clean again..and the sharp edges? if that bothers you then you are a wuss.

I think they made the sharp edges on purpose because it will protect you iPad when it falls to the ground.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I just don't like how it screams "I have an iPad inside me." I'm currently rocking a Yoobao case but it will soon be replaced with the Pad & Quill case which will make my iPad even more stealthy.

Since I take my iPad everywhere (and sometimes set it down at work when I need to help a customer) I need a case that looks professional and doesn't let everyone know what is inside it.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I also like it but not when it decides to just color my back skin protection blue. It also get dirty without trying.

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I hate the Apple case - the material is appalling and its not that easy to remove dust from it despite what some people say. And besides - even if it is why should I need to constantly clean my case?

The Chinao is much better but even that uses some sort of dust attracting fabric on the inside. All I want is a pure soft leather version of the apple case and I will be happy. No poxy design "Improvements" or lovely soft (Dust magnet) interiors.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I hate the Apple case - the material is appalling and its not that easy to remove dust from it despite what some people say. And besides - even if it is why should I need to constantly clean my case?

The Chinao is much better but even that uses some sort of dust attracting fabric on the inside. All I want is a pure soft leather version of the apple case and I will be happy. No poxy design "Improvements" or lovely soft (Dust magnet) interiors.

I don't need to constantly clean my case. I have had it for 2 months and it looks pretty damn black and new. I must say though that I'm "proper" and do not put my fingers all over it after done eating fish with my fingers.

The case is light, durable (unless you drop from like 20 ft), slim, and offers good typing (although I would personally prefer another half inch rise).

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I didn't like the "sharp" edges of the Apple case…

Where do you see "sharp" edges?! They are all rounded and made out of a soft flexible material.

I just don't like how it screams "I have an iPad inside me."

I don't feel that at all. It looks like a stylish black and slim (paper) notebook when it lays on a table. You have to watch carefully for being able to see the iPad buttons through the narrow openings at the sides.

I also like it but not when it decides to just color my back skin protection blue. It also get dirty without trying.

I never used a skin protection since I have an iPhone 3G (now iPhone 4) and never regret that.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Apple's iPad case is the best after all...

Not really. The basic design is fine, but the choice of material is rubbish. I got to the stage where I was frankly embarrassed to use mine as it was permanently grubby.

Yoobao's "Magic" case is the best right now. Clever design, smart choice of materials and good value. Once you've used the multiple viewing/typing angles, you wouldn't go back to the Apple case.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I have both the Apple case and the Yoobao Magic case, plus some others ("case junkie"), and the Magic case is #1 right now for me. It protects the iPad better while still staying slim, looks good, fits perfectly, the screen is totally open, and the multiple viewing angles work great.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I have both the Apple case and the Yoobao Magic case, plus some others ("case junkie"), and the Magic case is #1 right now for me. It protects the iPad better while still staying slim, looks good, fits perfectly, the screen is totally open, and the multiple viewing angles work great.

I agree completely. I, too, have become a "case junkie" in the short month I have had my iPad...the Apple Case, Yoobao Magic, Chinao, and the Cyber Acoustics...

The Yoobao Magic case, for me, wins hands down...for all the reasons you cite.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

Well that is obvious because the back isn't plastic, just soft material unlike the front flap. It still sucks though. I don't think you can complain since you hit your iPad hard enough to cause that dent.
From common sense you should know that is does not offer any drop or impact protection, at least on the back.

mosso2000

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Well that is obvious because the back isn't plastic, just soft material unlike the front flap. It still sucks though. I don't think you can complain since you hit your iPad hard enough to cause that dent.
From common sense you should know that is does not offer any drop or impact protection, at least on the back.

FYI, I didn't hit my iPad. Would be dumb to do so. So the impact is resulting from everyday's use.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
FYI, I didn't hit my iPad. Would be dumb to do so. So the impact is resulting from everyday's use.

I didn't say you hit it on purpose but knowing that the Apple iPad Case isn't protective on the back, you should have been more careful with it :)

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
One of the best cases EVER (but they don't make one specifically for the iPad) is the Zeroshock from Japan. I have about 6 laptops...2 of which generally travel with me at different times, and I have Zeroshocks on all of the travelling laptops.

It is zippered case that looks alot like many of the neoprene casesa but it is, in fact, more rigid, and lined completely with memory foam. One laptop which has travelled probably around the world at least a dozen times since 2008 (a Toshiba 13.3 inch) has survived impacts, being stuffed and crushed in overhead bins, etc.

As a result, in my laptop messenger bag (since I now carry the iPad instead), I have the Zeroshock (the smallest one I have...the one designed for netbooks) in the laptop pocket. I place the Yoobao Magic cased Ipad inside this Zeroshock sleeve and I can rest easily.

The netbook-size Zeroshock works perfectly for the iPad and it is much more calming knowing that it, too, is protecting my iPad in addition to the internal protection in the laptop bag. I never remove the Zeroshock from the bag, though...I just slip the iPad (with Yoobao Magic Case) in and out as needed.

There is a guy named Yap who lives in Dallas and sells Zeroshock on ebay. He is a highly recommended seller in my book.

Info on Zeroshock...

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2009/08/24/nbc-zeroshock-iii-netbook-case-review/

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/zeroshock-iii-netbook-case/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/accessories/302364-zeroshock-iii-notebook-sleeve-review.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.