Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new Transparency Report providing information on customer data requests that the company received from the U.S. government in the first half of 2022.

apple-logo-us-flag-smooth.jpg

For the first time ever, Apple has reported the total number of "geofence requests" that it received from the U.S. government. These requests are meant to include specific latitude and longitudes coordinates for a specified time period, but Apple does not collect this information as part of its commitment to customer privacy, and therefore does not provide it to law enforcement, while fully respecting the legal process.

From the Transparency Report:
Apple may also receive requests from government agencies seeking customer data related to specific latitude and longitudes coordinates (geofence) for a specified time period. Apple does not have any data to provide in response to geofence requests.
For additional information, the Transparency Report is available on Apple's website as a PDF.

Article Link: Apple's Latest Transparency Report Includes Geofence Requests From U.S. Government

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
It’s great to have confirmation that Apple does not collect this data. However, I’m sure the cell service providers are more than happy to turn it over, so I’m not sure it matters whether Apple collects it or not.
Oh yeah, and more. Data that's illegal for law enforcement to collect is legal for corporations to collect and sell to LEOs. 🙃

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple today shared a new Transparency Report providing information on customer data requests that the company received from the U.S. government in the first half of 2022.

For the first time ever, Apple has reported the total number of "geofence requests" that it received from the U.S. government. These requests are meant to include specific latitude and longitudes coordinates for a specified time period, but Apple does not collect this information as part of its commitment to customer privacy, and therefore does not provide it to law enforcement, while fully respecting the legal process.
Apple does not collect this information at all, or Apple does not collect this information in the U.S.?

rp100

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
What about “significant locations”?

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations

The note says it’s ”end-to-end encrypted and cannot be read by apple”. So… if this is enabled, Apple could be storing location data on your behalf that they allegedly cannot read.

Unreadable data is not the same thing as “Apple does not have any data to provide in response to geofence requests.”

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
It’s great to have confirmation that Apple does not collect this data. However, I’m sure the cell service providers are more than happy to turn it over, so I’m not sure it matters whether Apple collects it or not.
Not so much that they are happy to. They have to as geofence requests require a search warrant. But sometimes cell providers object to large geofence areas with tens of thousands of devices within the zone.

Source: am retired detective who wrote/served these warrants

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
Not so much that they are happy to. They have to as geofence requests require a search warrant. But sometimes cell providers object to large geofence areas with tens of thousands of devices within the zone.

Source: am retired detective who wrote/served these warrants
Ok, I’m sure none of these companies are “happy” to turn over anything! That said, and you no doubt can tell me if I’m wrong, the cell providers have all the geofence info, so whether Apple collects it or not, someone does…

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Ok, I’m sure none of these companies are “happy” to turn over anything! That said, and you no doubt can tell me if I’m wrong, the cell providers have all the geofence info, so whether Apple collects it or not, someone does…
I doubt Apple does. I’ve looked at a lot of data from warrants to Apple. Before E2E encryption it was a lot of data. Since E2E it’s almost nothing. Almost not even worth writing a warrant anymore. Apple definitely locks down stuff. Google on the other hand…

Really cell tower data is the go-to for geolocation. Google will also have a lot of GPS data.

Also most LE agencies now just go to seize the phone and use a tool like Graykey or Cellebrite Premium to get into the phone and pull geo data from that. I was previously on a task force for an alphabet agency and used those tools. Once into the phone almost everything is available to police.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
I doubt Apple does. I’ve looked at a lot of data from warrants to Apple. Before E2E encryption it was a lot of data. Since E2E it’s almost nothing. Almost not even worth writing a warrant anymore. Apple definitely locks down stuff. Google on the other hand…

Really cell tower data is the go-to for geolocation. Google will also have a lot of GPS data.
That’s what I’m getting at. Apple doesn’t have this data, but your cell provider does and can provide it if required. It seems to me that whether Apple collects the data or not, the government can still get the data from cell companies. Am I right?

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
So...are there people who in 2023 use their mobile phone as a device that might be secure and safe?

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
You don't know what carrier or what cell model is ahead of time (unless you already know who the suspect is and have gotten this data previously).

I'd have to look at what location data cell providers have these days, in the recent past the accuracy was not all that high.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
That’s what I’m getting at. Apple doesn’t have this data, but your cell provider does and can provide it if required. It seems to me that whether Apple collects the data or not, the government can still get the data from cell companies. Am I right?
Correct. Different carriers retain data for different lengths of time. Worst part is that if you happened to be in the area of a geofence even if you’re not a suspect the police are looking at your data. I was kind of an outcast in my previous life because I advocated for privacy while most cops were totally ok with the federal government opening the gates up wide.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Also most LE agencies now just go to seize the phone and use a tool like Graykey or Cellebrite Premium to get into the phone and pull geo data from that. I was previously on a task force for an alphabet agency and used those tools. Once into the phone almost everything is available to police.

They can do this even with an iPhone? Even without the passcode?

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
Correct. Different carriers retain data for different lengths of time. Worst part is that if you happened to be in the area of a geofence even if you’re not a suspect the police are looking at your data.
Thanks for confirming. I believe Apple’s beliefs and values around privacy are real….but any cell phone is basically Swiss cheese when it comes to privacy. How many apps on iPhones today are tracking and reporting location? Does it matter if Apple collects any of this info when plenty of other apps are already doing it? Cell providers have all your location data. And, despite Apple’s privacy stance, they won’t allow apps like Little Snitch on iOS, so how committed to privacy are they really?

I was kind of an outcast in my previous life because I advocated for privacy while most cops were totally ok with the federal government opening the gates up wide.
The old cliche is true. Power corrupts. Glad there are people like you who try to hold the line.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Thanks for confirming. I believe Apple’s beliefs and values around privacy are real….but any cell phone is basically Swiss cheese when it comes to privacy. How many apps on iPhones today are tracking and reporting location? Does it matter if Apple collects any of this info when plenty of other apps are already doing it? Cell providers have all your location data. And, despite Apple’s privacy stance, they won’t allow apps like Little Snitch on iOS, so how committed to privacy are they really?

The old cliche is true. Power corrupts. Glad there are people like you who try to hold the line.
Most apps pull some kind of location data. Google is the worst offender.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
For full phone access, as if they had the passcode? I'd heard that as long as you have a passcode, and have touch/face ID disabled, they can't force you to share your passcode and thus they can't get in.
Incorrect. There are tools that can instantly access the device as long as the device is in what is called "before first unlock" or BFU mode. There are tools that can brute force the device to obtain the passcode. Some phones can be accessed in seconds. Some take months. Using an alpha-numeric passcode pretty much guarantees your phone will take millions of years to unlock unless the passcode is common. Give a search to AFU and BFU mode.

As far as access, once the device is accessed, the entire phone is fair game. Even things like Snapchat's "My Eyes Only" can be obtained easily without the passcode for that part of the Snapchat application.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.