Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's privacy chief Jane Horvath is listed as a speaker at the 2022 Computers, Privacy, and Data Protection conference in Brussels, Belgium. Apple is also sponsoring the conference, which is scheduled for May 23 through May 25.

apple-jane-horvath.jpg

It's unclear when Horvath will speak or what topics she plans to discuss at the conference, but Apple has been advocating against the EU's proposed Digital Markets Act that would require Apple to allow sideloading of apps on the iPhone outside of the App Store. At past conferences, Apple executives like CEO Tim Cook and software engineering chief Craig Federighi have argued that sideloading poses privacy and security risks.

Cook spoke at last year's Computers, Privacy, and Data Protection conference, where he implied that companies like Facebook with a business model of maximizing engagement through algorithms can lead to polarization and violence.

"At a moment of rampant disinformation and conspiracy theories juiced by algorithms, we can no longer turn a blind eye to a theory of technology that says all engagement is good engagement — the longer the better — and all with the goal of collecting as much data as possible," said Cook, adding that "it is long past time to stop pretending that this approach doesn't come with a cost — of polarization, of lost trust and, yes, of violence."

Horvath joined Apple in 2011 as Senior Director of Global Privacy and now holds the title of Chief Privacy Officer at the company. She has two decades of information privacy and legal experience, with her previous roles including Global Privacy Counsel at Google and Chief Privacy Counsel and Civil Liberties Officer at the U.S. Department of Justice.

Article Link: Apple's Privacy Chief Jane Horvath to Speak at EU Data Protection Conference

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
I don't get why they just don't make you go through a process to enable Sideloading. Like you must go into a menu then click a toggle than accept an agreement that you're taking your own chances sideloading apps, and any results of that are on you and Apples not liable.

I feel a majority of people will still use the app store out of ignorance to how sideloading works or convenience.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
I can't figure out why they never have these conferences or give their (principled) speeches in one of their biggest markets. /s

Reactions: user002

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Maybe Apple will announce they're no longer accept $12 Billion/year from Google to make them the default iOS search engine and thus stop enabling Google's monetization of Apple's customers' privacy...

Nah, they're going to talk about side-loading instead.
What monetization of customers privacy. If an iPhone types in “google.com” how does it change whether apple gets $12b or not?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I’m sure no questions will be thrown, as the government has no idea what they’re talking about they just do what they’re told by the corporations that feed them
Oh, I know they will be thrown, but most likely questions that are completely irrelevant or so far out there that make no sense.

Also, questions designed to make their case for support on the idiotic new laws in the EU.

• Love
Reactions: nastysailboat

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I don't get why they just don't make you go through a process to enable Sideloading. Like you must go into a menu then click a toggle than accept an agreement that you're taking your own chances sideloading apps, and any results of that are on you and Apples not liable.

I feel a majority of people will still use the app store out of ignorance to how sideloading works or convenience.
That’s quite the assumption. I use it for the protections it offers. Are they perfect? No. Are they better than the tracking malware that will come with side loaded apps? **** yeah.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
What monetization of customers privacy. If an iPhone types in “google.com” how does it change whether apple gets $12b or not?
I think he’s getting at the old thing of not being able to change your default search in safari to something other than google. Although I’m not to sure what it matters as you have several options to switch the default to. Or you could set a shortcut to go to a different one if you really want a weird one.

Reactions: I7guy

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
That’s quite the assumption. I use it for the protections it offers. Are they perfect? No. Are they better than the tracking malware that will come with side loaded apps? **** yeah.
Any side loading, and all app will eventually require side loading. Which is bad for the consumer experience. Some people won’t understand side loading or why they can’t find their apps any more or some will just not want to because of security reasons. But the problem is once side loading is available all the bigger companies go with side loading and the user is forced to go that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.