Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Honestly don't bother with "screen protector" you don't need it, they don't scratch and it feels better to use without one - and you screw up the sides of your phone getting it applied.
They do scratch as has been reported. MKBHD scratched his product Red iPhone and admitted he had no idea how it happened. As long as you don’t let the amateurs at Apple clamp your iPhone unnecessarily and apply a rubbish screen protector, you’ll be fine. Plenty of decent quality, easy to apply tempered glass screen protectors out there that don’t damage your phone.

Reactions: Fred Zed

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
They do scratch as has been reported. MKBHD scratched his product Red iPhone and admitted he had no idea how it happened. As long as you don’t let the amateurs at Apple clamp your iPhone unnecessarily and apply a rubbish screen protector, you’ll be fine. Plenty of decent quality, easy to apply tempered glass screen protectors out there that don’t damage your phone.
I've owned every iPhone since the minute the first one came out in the UK and never used a screen protector on any of them. A minor abrasions you might get over time by dropping it down the side of things etc are a hell of lot less invisible than a giant line going all the way around the screen of a screen protector which looks like a crack - it's especially ugly at the notch area.

They ruin the aesthetic, they ruin the feel and they're totally unnecessary for day to day usage.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've owned every iPhone since the minute the first one came out in the UK and never used a screen protector on any of them. A minor abrasions you might get over time by dropping it down the side of things etc are a hell of lot less invisible than a giant line going all the way around the screen of a screen protector which looks like a crack - it's especially ugly at the notch area.

They ruin the aesthetic, they ruin the feel and they're totally unnecessary for day to day usage.
I don’t give a toss what my phone looks like in all honesty and I don’t want a scratched up screen which affects resale value. I don’t even notice the screen protector when I’m using it and the surface is a hell of a lot tougher than the glass it is protecting. Obviously whether or not someone else decides not to use one is unimportant to me.

Reactions: jbachandouris

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019

LMAO, maybe with the curved edges, but on a flat surface (like the iPhone 12) with an edge to edge screen protector they don't ruin anything you can not tell it's there unless you look real close and has the added benefit of getting a fresh totally spotless screen every 3-6 months when you replace it for another.

I rather have that than eventually have a screen full of micro scratches and probably 1-2 more visible ones, which is my experience when not using a screen protector.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
LMAO, maybe with the curved edges, but on a flat surface (like the iPhone 12) with an edge to edge screen protector they don't ruin anything you can not tell it's there unless you look real close and has the added benefit of getting a fresh totally spotless screen every 3-6 months when you replace it for another.

I rather have that than eventually have a screen full of micro scratches and probably 1-2 more visible ones, which is my experience when not using a screen protector.

Not my experience - and even with this screen you won't be able to hide the line around the notch.

Each to their own, but all screen protectors look like crap to me and don't serve any purpose - the last two iPhones haven't even had micro abrasions at all, and ironic you say you can't see the screen protector if you look close, you can, you can see one in any photo anyone has one, but you literally can't see micro abrasions unless you look very very close holding it at a specific angle to the light.

Apple work very hard on the feel of the glass and the oleophobic coating, madness to cover it up with a £10 piece of crap but each to their own.

Reactions: Bstephens

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I don’t give a toss what my phone looks like in all honesty and I don’t want a scratched up screen which affects resale value. I don’t even notice the screen protector when I’m using it and the surface is a hell of a lot tougher than the glass it is protecting. Obviously whether or not someone else decides not to use one is unimportant to me.

Where as I can more about what my phone looks and feels like and not about resale value. I want to enjoy the phone to look after it for the next person to enjoy it!

It cheaper to just get a new screen anyway for resale purposes - and even then it's never made a difference to value for me selling it.

Anyway, up the reds!

Reactions: Bstephens

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Where as I can more about what my phone looks and feels like and not about resale value. I want to enjoy the phone to look after it for the next person to enjoy it!

It cheaper to just get a new screen anyway for resale purposes - and even then it's never made a difference to value for me selling it.

Anyway, up the reds!
My phone is a tool firstly and less of an object I admire. I enjoy using the phone just as much as anybody else even if it’s got a screen protector on it. Last night my iPhone was dropped on a solid oak floor and skidded screen down. Satisfied the case has a bit of a scuff rather than the phone itself in all honesty.

You can get a screen replaced cheaper than buying a £5 screen protector? Where?

Reactions: jbachandouris

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Belkins screen protector looks easy for my shaky hands. Any recommendations on how to avoid getting dusts?

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Right?! Darn, I’d bring scotch tape and go out to my car to make sure it’s on good and walk back in and have them do it ?
Well, I tried it and works great!! I did it myself however. So I bought Bestbuy Insignia ones, brought it home and put scotch tape on the edges of the phone. Then I used the plastic alignment tool, a bright flashlight to check for dust, and some more tape to remove any dust ... came out flawless AND the alignment tool didn’t touch the frame because of the tape.

Nothing different than any other protector install except for the tape on the phone frame. For any curious or interested it worked great!!!

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Well, I tried it and works great!! I did it myself however. So I bought Bestbuy Insignia ones, brought it home and put scotch tape on the edges of the phone. Then I used the plastic alignment tool, a bright flashlight to check for dust, and some more tape to remove any dust ... came out flawless AND the alignment tool didn’t touch the frame because of the tape.

Nothing different than any other protector install except for the tape on the phone frame. For any curious or interested it worked great!!!
Good to hear. Just curious, which tape did you use?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Belkins screen protector looks easy for my shaky hands. Any recommendations on how to avoid getting dusts?
I have heard that the bathroom is the best place to install a screen protector. Run a hot shower and the steam should cause most if not all the dust to stay on the ground and not in the air.

Reactions: symphony

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Just regular scotch tape; I even went so far as to break the alignment tray so I could just use the “top of the phone portion” ... that’s really all you need to get the alignment good ?
Excellent, thank you. I am OCD when it comes to this stuff that’s why I asked. I have the Spigen installation trays ready for my pro max so I will use your advice.

Reactions: chadmclark

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have not used a screen protector since the iPhone 4 but I always put them on with a wet install. Allows you to get bubbles out, hopefully avoid dust, and finalize your positioning. Same with any rear skins I have installed in the past.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
The Belkin glass protectors are very low quality in my experience- they shatter really easy- I have shattered three of them- one from just tapping my belt buckle- I got tiered of paying the local Apple store almost $50 each time - the Trianiam or Speign on Amazon have been much better quality at a substantially less expenisve cost.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I remember when I use to care about stuff like micro scratches and thinnest cases with perfect buttons. Now, I get AppleCare+ and don’t and it brings peace of mind. Well worth the $15/mos

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I literally cannot see the screen protector that I put on my 12 PM. It's from BodyGuardz.

Having had micro scratches on my 8 Plus, I will always use a SP until the day when Apple has a scratch proof iPhone screen.

As for going caseless, the 12 PM is the most slippery backed iPhone I have ever used. Will never go caseless with this model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.