Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Ive updated 2 iPads and 2 iPhones to iOS 9 and bought an iPad Mini 4 that came with 9.
Battery life after indexing is great, and the Mini 4 is a beast-buttery smooth and fast. I could have slowed it down with a restore, but decided to keep it clean.
What is with threads like this? So ill get flamed for posting, but really folks, if you restore, you might be restoring the problems you had. If it doesnt work as advertised, set up as new and enjoy the new features.
My wife has had problems with her 6, today she started to talk about her phone and I interrupted to say sonething negative,but she said no, my phone is working great now, the upgrade was really nice.
Its been positive for me and mine.
No, I think you'll get Kudos. It is those of us looking for help with real problems that are getting "flamed" in this thread.

I come to these forums seeking the expertise of others who have had similar experience whether thar be good or bad. I don't understand why some need to be dismissive and defensive when they have nothing else to offer.

Downgrade is an option but certainly not a solution.

Last time I checked you didn't pay for iOS9. So nice try. No one made you upgrade and no one made you pay for it.

Also, Hey Siri on your watch has nothing to do with iOS 9.
In retrospect, we did pay for the update. Although Apple marketing loves to tell us it was "free" the reality is that we prepaid for future updates and have every right to expect them to work as advertised.

If you updated to your complete satisfaction, lucky you. Don't s**t on people who were not so lucky. For all we know there are a multitude of versions of the ipdate that vary by region/country. In my house the updates have caused problems and we are very much an Apple eco-system here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
In retrospect, we did pay for the update. Although Apple marketing loves to tell us it was "free" the reality is that we prepaid for future updates and have every right to expect them to work as advertised.

I'm sorry but no, that does not work. Android users, in particular, Samsung users spend the just as much for their devices and they may see 1 update over 2 years, if that at all. So no, we are not pre-paying for updates. We pay for the device and the software it comes with. No where does it say Apple has to give you free updates.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Huh. Your claim is interesting. I haven't seen many people say that 9.0 is just as fast as 8.4.1. But I've seen hundreds say the exact opposite.
It seems that in various threads discussing lagging and all that plenty of people have said the opposite (it's just that they would mostly be put down by those who see lags calling them "blind" or something else).

No, I think you'll get Kudos. It is those of us looking for help with real problems that are getting "flamed" in this thread.

I come to these forums seeking the expertise of others who have had similar experience whether thar be good or bad. I don't understand why some need to be dismissive and defensive when they have nothing else to offer.

Plenty of people talking about their experience of not having issues (while in no way putting down those who have issues) have been getting "flamed". Plenty of evidence in all these types of threads.

That said, all that anyone here can provide at best are workarounds or alternatives, if there are any--no one can provide solutions that are being sought, that's up to Apple and no one here has anything to do with any of that.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It seems that in various threads discussing lagging and all that plenty of people have said the opposite (it's just that they would mostly be put down by those who see lags calling them "blind" or something else).
This. There was another thread calling anyone who does not see lag "blind". I think it's completely uncalled for. No two people will have the same experience, so everyone needs to respect each other when one says they don't experience any issues.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
At WWDC 2015 (June, 8) Apple presented the new major update for iOS,iOS 9.
Apple talks about what's new in iOS 9 and promised:
Some new features
New Apps
Much more
And the main change Bugs/Lags/Glitches Fixes And better battery life.
The developers received iOS 9 beta 1 with much bugs.
In September all users excited to receive iOS 9.
At September, 16 all users installed iOS 9 with smile :) because Apple promised Bugs/Lags/Glitches Fixes And better battery life.
But No!
The battery in iOS 9 drain faster than other iOS version, Apps crashes, All animations with lags, Safari bugs and much more.
So where are you Apple?! Tim you have enough battery to call me?!, Craig the switcher in your iPhone works without lags?!, Phil your iPhone works smoothly?
I think not ,Apple you sold a huge iOS devices and now all users stuck with the worst iOS ever, iOS 9.
Where the smoothly of iOS 3-6?
Since iOS 7, iOS not works good like before versions, You had 2 years to fix iOS, but still after 2 years has the same bugs/lags.
We want a stable and smoothly iOS without Bugs and Lags.
If someone from Apple read this please do something about iOS.
Thanks and sorry about my English.

I have no complaints here...

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

If you've not done so, try a clean install. Although upgrading and keeping all my settings worked just fine on an iPad Air 1, i have had issues in the past doing that which was solved by wiping and putting a fresh copy of the OS on the device. Good luck!

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
All you people do is complain. Why don't you go work for Apple & see how easy it is to fix bugs & what not.

iOS 9 shouldn't have been released yet - it's obvious 9.1 is far better. They should have rolled 9.1 into the 9.0 beta process and released once it was well and truly ready.

It's a shame they tie the major iOS release to hardware releases. iOS 9 should have been at least as fast as iOS 8 on all devices, and given the lag/bug fest that iOS 8 was that should not have been too hard.

Reactions: dk001 and wsc9005

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS 9 shouldn't have been released yet - it's obvious 9.1 is far better. They should have rolled 9.1 into the 9.0 beta process and released once it was well and truly ready.

It's a shame they tie the major iOS release to hardware releases. iOS 9 should have been at least as fast as iOS 8 on all devices, and given the lag/bug fest that iOS 8 was that should not have been too hard.
True there have been posts about lag on all devices as much as posts praising new releases. I didn't have issues with iOS 8 or 9 but 9 imo, seems to live up to the "promise".

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
People have forgotten the iOS 6
You say iOS 9 is smooth but look on videos with iOS 6 and look what is smoothly.
Nothing is perfect but Apple must significantly reduce bugs and lags.
iOS 6 on my 3GS jitters less than iOS 9 on my iPad mini 2. No joke. I can not for the life of me understand how they stuffed up the spotlight animation so much- then again not a new thing, it's one of the few things that jitters on iOS 6 on my 3GS.

Speaking of iOS 6... It was one of the few releases that actually sped up mu devices. I had improvement on my 3GS, 4 and iPad 2. Not major but not like iOS 9 where things have slowed down. (For me anyway). Not to say it didn't have teething issues, but apple never promised better performance etc - also once I upgraded I never felt the need to downgrade and my standards are just as high now as they were then.

I'm preparing to be flamed as usual but honestly, it's just disappointing when performance improvements are promised and you don't see them over a combination of devices, install types and so on and so fourth.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Realistically same applied to iOS 8 and 7 if not many other x.0 versions.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
True there have been posts about lag on all devices as much as posts praising new releases. I didn't have issues with iOS 8 or 9 but 9 imo, seems to live up to the "promise".

I'm glad it does for you, but it is seriously far slower than iOS 8 on an iPhone 5, iPad mini 2 and iPad 2. This is with clean installs and without clean installs. Not only does the interface lag a lot more in general but there is a stupidly annoying lag on every app once tapped. A far cry from any 'foundation' improvement.

But they were buggy unstable releases nonetheless, no matter what was or wasn't promised.

That's not re point though. Both were hugely feature fillsd releases with no focus on performance improvements. I also think iOS 7.1 should have been the first released version of iOS 7.

Reactions: dk001 and Beeplance

Rokach

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Apple promised better performance @oldmacs
But it does not matter if they are promised or not, iOS 9 feel like beta version.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 102

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hopefully they will live up to what they advertised for more and more people as iOS 9 matures.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
App launches on my iPad mini 2 (clean install of iOS 9) are now on par with app launches on my iPad 2 (iOS 8) due to the lag when you tap an app to open it. I really
Hope 9.1 fixes all of these issues. I'd quite like some iOS 9 features but I'm scared silly of ending up with a very slow iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

It's pointless to open these threads in the forum. Apologists jump will jump in tooth and nail to defend Apple.
I'm beginning to understand that.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
All you people do is complain. Why don't you go work for Apple & see how easy it is to fix bugs & what not.
What kind of nonsense is this? iPhones are the most expensives phones in the world, is it so much to ask for progression instead of regression? Put off your Apple glasses.

9.1 feels alright
A lot better than 9.0, but still not as smooth as 8.4.1.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I think iOS 9.1 is what 9.0 should have been in the first place.

iOS 9 for now is just... sigh. For what Apple promised during WWDC, I'm disappointed. The thing that made me more disappointed than any other release is that fact that they promised performance improvements but clearly fell short of delivering. They could've omitted this feature from their presentation, but they didn't. It raised everyone's expectation and look what we've got in the end.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's pointless to open these threads in the forum. Apologists jump will jump in tooth and nail to defend Apple.
As opposed to the same people repeatedly complaining about the same things in thread after thread. Expecting what exactly? Everyone to have the same experience and simply agree with everything? Will that accomplish or change anything?

People just want it their way and nothing else--what's the point of a discussion then?

And of course calling people names and/or making some sort of implications about them only proves the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.