Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Really? Have you compared 2 devices one running iOS 8.4.1 and the other iOS 9 side by side?

Every speed test video I have seen online shows that iOS 9 does not perform as fast and smoothly as iOS 8.4.1.

Show me one video where iOS 9 beats iOS 8.4.1.

Surely the people that are finding iOS 9 faster then 8.4.1 would do a speed test video to prove their case?
I don't have to do a speed test to know iOS 9 overall bests 8.4.1. Especially safari on an iPad 2, which is my biggest use case, not opening every app sequentially.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
You'd bloody hope it will be fast enough. Close to 50 percent of iPad users are spread across the iPad 2, 3 and Mini 1 to this day :O

Then again if Apple continues with initiatives with App splicing + building a core version of iOS then only running features that will run, its possible that iOS 10 will run in a very basic way on the A5 devices to continue security support for a large number of users.

It's possible but I'd say it's highly unlikely. TBH I didn't think I'd see iOS 9 running on those devices - I thought they'd expire at iOS 8, so yeah it's possible I guess, but they can't support them forever, they need to draw a line somewhere.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
It's very hard not to agree. It's an annual litany, or maybe just a dirge. There is a bitter complaint in another thread right now from an iPad 4 owner who is angry that developers aren't supporting 32-bit SoCs and somehow this is Apple's fault... :rolleyes:

Same threads, different year.
People also forget that mobile development is moving at a much faster pace than computers. I mean the jumps each year in CPU is like 40-50%, and graphics recently in the 80s. Intel chips probably take 3 years to achieve that.
Apple keeps too many products around these days, it's crazy. They need to kill all iPads apart from the airs and the Mini 3-4. Even for iPhones, just get rid off all devices below a 5s. Just making apps for the 4 is terrible, even Xcode moved passed it. Making a game these days is literally next to impossible on 4, not just because of the tiny screen size but because things such as image assets are not really supported anymore. Let's not even talk about the crap performance.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I don't have to do a speed test to know iOS 9 overall bests 8.4.1. Especially safari on an iPad 2, which is my biggest use case, not opening every app sequentially.

Exactly. I'm sure most people think it's slower because of the damn app delay when pressing an app.
Thank you 3D Touch.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's possible but I'd say it's highly unlikely. TBH I didn't think I'd see iOS 9 running on those devices - I thought they'd expire at iOS 8, so yeah it's possible I guess, but they can't support them forever, they need to draw a line somewhere.

It depends on what Apple does wiht iOS 10. I could definitely see them running a version of iOS 10 with essentially no new features but security updates. I think the line will come when there aren't as many people using them and its impossible to run a core version of iOS satisfactorily.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple keeps too many products around these days, it's crazy. They need to kill all iPads apart from the airs and the Mini 3-4. Even for iPhones, just get rid off all devices below a 5s. Just making apps for the 4 is terrible, even Xcode moved passed it. Making a game these days is literally next to impossible on 4, not just because of the tiny screen size but because things such as image assets are not really supported anymore. Let's not even talk about the crap performance.

Why? The majority of iPad users are on iPads 2/3/4 and Mini 1. Apple should support older devices as long as possible. iPhones and iPads are majorly expensive and long support cycles are a way to justify spending so much. Apple is allowing app developers to develop for the A7 and up so developers are no longer forced into it.

You realise also that the iPad Mini 2 is the same as the iPad Mini 3?

I'm glad that keeping up to date with tech is obviously not an issue for you, but it is for many people. Apple is selling so many iPhones and it makes a ridiculous amount of profit so support for those who can't afford a new device (or those who bought a 4S only a year ago, or a Mini 1 only a couple of months ago) is only fair.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
all those people complaining, while this is one of the better IOS releases i've seen
maybe all you whining people should look for answers instead of bitching

maybe you all have old apps installed on your phone that is causing these lags ( I had that problem when ios 8 came out )

well that being said, I am having zero problems with Ios 9.1 Beta 2
So because you are having no issues everyone that is should shut up?

Good for you and your no issues, but others have obviously been searching for a cause to their issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not a hater, and many people her aren't. If we are here and we own Apple products it means we aren't haters. Some of us are just realistic and objective. If something has not been done properly (such as iOS9) we say it.
Part of realistic though would be to know better than to expect perfection, especially out of a x.0 release.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
the 2gb ram! THIS. 64 bit iphones simply cannot run smoothly on a 1GB model mo matter how much optimisation, the OS+APPS in a 1gb package simply won't cut it

That has actually not much to do with performance now does it?
The iPad Air 2 doesn't run a million times better than an air because of the 2gb ram. Ram stands for Random access memory, memory stores stuff, such as your app states. That's why an air 2 can have much more tabs, apps open than before.
Obviously having little ram will not help these days because apps are getting bigger and more memory hungry. Doesn't really help with OS performance tho
Putting 8gb of ram into an older iPad will not make them run as well as an iPad Air 2. It actually won't do much apart from letting you open a gazillion apps that stay in memory.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Its definitely slower than iOS 8 on the iPad 2 and iPad Mini 2. If you do a clean install of both 8.4.1 and 9 on both and test, apps open slower in iOS 9. If you want to show me otherwise, then go ahead. Perceptions of how fast something is don't count.
iPad 2 and iPad Mini 2 .... I won't even consider such an old hardware in SPEED considerations...
Most people complaining here have better things to do than to make up stories about iOS 9 being slower and posting them on forums. Not to mention that side by side comparisons show iOS 9 to be slower on many devices. Perhaps iOS 9 fixes up some issues in dodgy iOS 8 installs, which would account for improvements.

Even the guardian is reporting it.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...low-ios-9-update-iphone-4s-iphone-5-iphone-5s
The guardians ? Lol ...
And even that, most of the complaining are about iPhone 4S.
Ancient technology in end-2015

Really? Have you compared 2 devices one running iOS 8.4.1 and the other iOS 9 side by side?

Every speed test video I have seen online shows that iOS 9 does not perform as fast and smoothly as iOS 8.4.1.

Show me one video where iOS 9 beats iOS 8.4.1.

Surely the people that are finding iOS 9 faster then 8.4.1 would do a speed test video to prove their case?
I don't have to make side by side comparisons, since I was using 8.4.1 daily on my iPhone and iPad and now I'm using iOS 9.0.1 on both.
No noticeable differences in normal use. A lot of useful features in the new iOS.

I don't give a **** at YouTube amateur videos ... On YouTube you could find an horse flying if you search deep enough.
Btw all of you keep comparing a X.0 release with the final X.4 release of the previous iOS.
Glitches could still exist at this stage.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It depends on what Apple does wiht iOS 10. I could definitely see them running a version of iOS 10 with essentially no new features but security updates. I think the line will come when there aren't as many people using them and its impossible to run a core version of iOS satisfactorily.
Won't happen as Apple won't let up on features and innovation.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Same threads, different year.
People also forget that mobile development is moving at a much faster pace than computers. I mean the jumps each year in CPU is like 40-50%, and graphics recently in the 80s. Intel chips probably take 3 years to achieve that.

Too many products - an interesting point, and true. Certainly true in the laptop line. rMB, MBA, cMBP, rMBP. Here's a Steve Jobs comment: one of the things he did when he came back was to pare down and rationalize the product line. Someone needs to wade into the thicket with a machete and do the same today.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Out of pure curiosity, are the statistics on which devices are still running publicly available? I'd be interested to see the distribution among devices.

Why? The majority of iPad users are on iPads 2/3/4 and Mini 1. Apple should support older devices as long as possible. iPhones and iPads are majorly expensive and long support cycles are a way to justify spending so much. Apple is allowing app developers to develop for the A7 and up so developers are no longer forced into it.

I'm glad that keeping up to date with tech is obviously not an issue for you, but it is for many people. Apple is selling so many iPhones and it makes a ridiculous amount of profit so support for those who can't afford a new device (or those who bought a 4S only a year ago, or a Mini 1 only a couple of months ago) is only fair.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That has actually not much too do with performance now does it?
The iPad Air 2 doesn't run a million times better than an air because of the 2gb ram. Ram stands for Random access memory, memory stores stuff, such as your app states. That's why an air 2 can have much more tabs, apps open than before.
Obviously having little ram will not help these days because apps are getting bigger and more memory hungry. Doesn't really help with performance tho
Putting 8gb of ram into an older iPad will not make them run as well as an iPad Air 2. It actually won't do much apart from letting you open a gazillion apps that stay in memory.
RAM certainly affects performance given that will little RAM things have to be loaded into memory much more often with is certainly more of a delay if they don't have to be loaded and are already there and can be used right away. Take two computers with identical specs except for RAM and if you have one with 2 GB and another with 4 GB you'll notice a difference in performance between the two (and if the RAM difference is greater you'll see more of that difference). Now it would be to a smaller degree on a phone going from 1 to 2 GB but it can certainly make a difference in launch times and switching between apps and other actions of that nature which would be better when more RAM is available (at least under conditions of someone using more than just the Phone app and the Messaging app, for example).

Reactions: fardeenah

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So because you are having no issues everyone that is should shut up?

Good for you and your no issues, but others have obviously been searching for a cause to their issues.
Not really a friendly response. Not everybody is having issues and/or some people are satisfied with the status quo. In a thread such as this, you can expect a certain amount of grievance as well as satisfaction.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
iPad 2 and iPad Mini 2 .... I won't even consider such an old hardware in SPEED considerations...

iPad 2 is ancient history, true, but the Mini 2 is the same hardware as the Mini 3, which is a current product and runs the same SoC as the Air, which is also hardly "old," FWIW.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah, I didn't mean stop supporting them, I meant not selling them anymore. Actually looks like they cut it down now judging by apples store website. 2 iPads, 2 minis, 3 phones.
I swear at 1 point you could buy like all 3 generation iPad minis, last 3-4 generation iPads and all the iPhones down to the 4s.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't have to make side by side comparisons, since I was using 8.4.1 daily on my iPhone and iPad and now I'm using iOS 9.0.1 on both.
No noticeable differences in normal use. A lot of useful features in the new iOS.

I don't give a **** at YouTube amateur videos ... On YouTube you could find an horse flying if you search deep enough.
Btw all of you keep comparing a X.0 release with the final X.4 release of the previous iOS.
Glitches could still exist at this stage.

Then you can't say its faster. Show me side by side comparison with a clean install of both iOS 8.4.1 and 9 and show me it performing faster. I'm dying to see it. There are too many variables in your "no noticeable differences in normal use". Its possible you had a dodgy iOS 8 install to base that off. The only true comparison is when you run both side by side. Sure you could be happy with the performance but that doesn't make it faster by any measure. Just means you perceive it as faster until it is properly tested.

And yes we are comparing wiht the final version of iOS 8 as it would be assumed that Apple would have performance on par with it or better given this is an update that put 'foundation' as apple calls it as one of 4 major tent poll features. Not just a casual mention.

The guardians ? Lol ...
And even that, most of the complaining are about iPhone 4S.
Ancient technology in end-2015

They are talking about the 4S, 5 and 5S. It doesn't matter how old the device is, and given the older devices barely have any new features, speed should be up to iOS 8.4.1 at least. The Guardians is a newspaper.

The iPad Mini 2 was sold as Apple's top of the Line mini (iPad Mini 3) up until a few weeks ago. It is not 'old'. It is only one generation behind Apple's flagship iPhone. And besides, given it is A7 it should benefit from the new metal enhancements.

Too many products - an interesting point, and true. Certainly true in the laptop line. rMB, MBA, cMBP, rMBP. Here's a Steve Jobs comment: one of the things he did when he came back was to pare down and rationalize the product line. Someone needs to wade into the thicket with a machete and do the same today.

There is a difference between then and now. Pre Jobs you had ridiculous numbers of computers, with different model designations and names for the same computer -a very confusing lineup (LC for education, Quadra for the high end and Performa for the consumer - such that the LC 475 for example was the same as the LC 475, the Quadra 605 and multiple variants of Performa). Very different to todays line up. The MBA, rMB, cMBP and rMBP all serve different purposes and are very different laptops. Perhaps ensuring all models receive updates, and renaming the Retina Macbook, the Macbook Air, the Macbook Air the Macbook and the cMBP the Classic Macbook would better differentiate them.

Out of pure curiosity, are the statistics on which devices are still running publicly available? I'd be interested to see the distribution among devices.

They are publicly available and will get them to you in the morning.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yeah, I didn't mean stop supporting them, I meant not selling them anymore. Actually looks like they cut it down now judging by apples store website. 2 iPads, 2 minis, 3 phones.
I swear at 1 point you could buy like all 3 generation iPad minis, last 3-4 generation iPads and all the iPhones down to the 4s.

Oh :) I get you. Yes i agree on that. Until until recently the iPad Mini line consisted of the Mini 1 2 and 3 + the Air 1 and 2.

The iPhone lineup only ever has 3 generations but some counties still have the 4S and 5C for sale as basic phones.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah i was just replying to another comment about this. It seems they cut it down now on the iOS device side. 2 iPads, 2 minis and 3 phones. At one point I swear you could buy like all 3 generation minis, 3-4 generations of iPads, all the iPhones down to the 4s. It seemed madness

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
That won't happen either. If a device is supported some new features will be added that are not hardware dependent.

You must not have paid attention to what apple did with iOS 9 then. iOS 9 was designed from a core operating system then features were turned on based on how well they would run, instead of the other way around where the full operating system is put on and features are turned of gradually until performance was good enough( for apple).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You must not have paid attention to what apple did with iOS 9 then. iOS 9 was designed from a core operating system then features were turned on based on how well they would run, instead of the other way around where the full operating system is put on and features are turned of gradually until performance was good enough( for apple).
Huh? You do know in essence your both your use cases are the same.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
RAM certainly affects performance given that will little RAM things have to be loaded into memory much more often with is certainly more of a delay if they don't have to be loaded and are already there and can be used right away. Take two computers with identical specs except for RAM and if you have one with 2 GB and another with 4 GB you'll notice a difference in performance between the two (and if the RAM difference is greater you'll see more of that difference). Now it would be to a smaller degree on a phone going from 1 to 2 GB but it can certainly make a difference in launch times and switching between apps and other actions of that nature which would be better when more RAM is available (at least under conditions of someone using more than just the Phone app and the Messaging app, for example).

We are talking about iOS performance, not app content loading speed or multitasking.
I even said this, obviously having little ram will not help these days with modern apps. Even my simple iOS game at its peak uses like 200mb of ram.

It's purely about iOS performance. It's not people complaining that this new modern game loads 5 seconds slower on their 5 than on their friends 6.
It's comments about iOS itself such as slow animation speeds, long delays, animation priority, stutter etc. Even the godly iPad Air 2 stutters and throws hissy fits once in a while. It did it on 8 and it does it on 9.

It's the Gaussian blur I tell you, I tried it once on my iOS game and I just saw the framerate F off so quickly I thought I was dreaming. Even a 2015 Mac with Yosemite could not handle that blur in mission control which is why they got rid of it in El Capitan.

If we take an iPad Air or an iPhone 6 right now and put in 8gb of ram iOS itself will not miracly run much faster. It just won't.

Reactions: Beavix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.