Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I found it to be pretty accurate.

When I got COVID, I was taking hourly readings on my watch and a medical grade finger pulse ox that I got from my surgery a few years ago and the readings were more-or-less the same (within 1%).

Moreover, as my doctor pointed out that any upward or downward trend was mirrored in both devices. It was touch and go when I had COVID that I had to go to hospital due to my blood oxygen and the AW was invaluable in this decision - the doctor agreed. It dropped as low as 92% for one hour and any lower or maintaining it for any longer and I was told to go to hospital. Thankfully it climbed back over 95% and I just had a cough for a month to contend with.

It was actually my heart rate that prompted me to test for COVID as my resting HR is normally around 52 and I woke up and it was 85 and I had a sore throat. Took the test and I was +ve. Once the main phase of COVID has passed (about 5 days) my resting HR returned to normal.

Maybe some think it is a gimmick, but whilst I would always seek medical advice, the AW and the blood oxygen/HR is a great monitor and early warning system...not just for hypochondriacs as someone above said.

However, everyone may feel different and their usage may vary. In my experience it has been helpful

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I found it to be pretty accurate.

When I got COVID, I was taking hourly readings on my watch and a medical grade finger pulse ox that I got from my surgery a few years ago and the readings were more-or-less the same (within 1%).

Moreover, as my doctor pointed out that any upward or downward trend was mirrored in both devices. It was touch and go when I had COVID that I had to go to hospital due to my blood oxygen and the AW was invaluable in this decision - the doctor agreed. It dropped as low as 92% for one hour and any lower or maintaining it for any longer and I was told to go to hospital. Thankfully it climbed back over 95% and I just had a cough for a month to contend with.

It was actually my heart rate that prompted me to test for COVID as my resting HR is normally around 52 and I woke up and it was 85 and I had a sore throat. Took the test and I was +ve. Once the main phase of COVID has passed (about 5 days) my resting HR returned to normal.

Maybe some think it is a gimmick, but whilst I would always seek medical advice, the AW and the blood oxygen/HR is a great monitor and early warning system...not just for hypochondriacs as someone above said.

However, everyone may feel different and their usage may vary. In my experience it has been helpful
When I had covid. I went to bed feeling a bit rough, and woke up covered in sweat with a load of high HR notifications on my watch.

I was hitting 130+ while sleeping!

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Same experience about COVID and SpO2 readings. After 3rd Moderna dose had feelings that it’s not good to Feel sick and tired for more than 3 weeks after vaccine (was weak by it already but not as much). After 2 I got even worse.

Fatigue and heavy increased pulse (90-95 idle, 140-160 in walk) plus lowered SpO2 (88-95 vs normal 98-100%) were crucial negative trends I got from AW7. As a asthmatic person I was worried why I need to inhale more doses…

I decided to go for overall blood tests but before that ordered for fun a cov nostril test (went after idea that I might got sick by 5% of probability) - got it positive with all the surprise as it was first positive of 9-12 tests during pandemic (had multiple contacts, also few died / were on IC).

Pulse reading of AW is good only when band of the watch is quite tight. When it’s loose I got 88-94 vs 98-100% when it fit tight on my wrist.

Btw if someone wants to store daily data about symptoms he has, please find below the shortcut I made in the past:

And for fast body temperature writing (also adds sample Fever type when temp is >= 37.5*C)

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You do understand that someone actually attempted to address your criticisms by posting a medical study that discusses why movement is an issue for ALL SpO2 sensors right? Instead of ignoring it perhaps you should try reading it. You keep returning to your Masimo sensor as if it's the best thing in the world. What people are trying to tell you is that just because it is giving A reading while you are exercising, that doesn't mean that it's giving you an ACCURATE reading. The medical study linked previously discusses how all SpO2 sensors are calibrated assuming a specific ratio of arterial and vinous blood that is only found when the subject is remaining still. It says that this ratio changes when the subject is moving, and thus the conditions that the sensor is calibrated for are no longer present, resulting in false readings. ANY movement results in this ratio changing, whether that be arms flailing about, or just the passive movement of your arm rising and falling with your breath while it rests on your chest.

Thanks for the thumping...

I have been saying ANY movement interrupts the Apple attempts. I can't be sitting on my bike, with my arm relatively stable, just slight swaying as I pedal, without the thing failing. I'm not 'flailing about', I'm actually quite stable, but apparently not dead still like the device/system requires. A gently swaying finger is not likely to mean a huge error on the Masimo I'd wager but the Apple Watch seems to completely lose it, and the former is reading continuously.

Maybe assuming you aren't talking to an complete idiot would be a good start too. I have said that I was 'still', just not completely catatonic. You people, so quick to assume everyone is an idiot because we ask questions based on out observations and experiences. I also DO realize that the measurements will vary by an unknown amount. I used to do science for a living.

I once tried all of the tire pressure gauges in my house, and some were off by (based on the gauge face) over 20psi. For a small lawn tractor tire, that degree of variation could be catastrophic. *POW*

So be nice?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Same experience about COVID and SpO2 readings. After 3rd Moderna dose had feelings that it’s not good to Feel sick and tired for more than 3 weeks after vaccine (was weak by it already but not as much). After 2 I got even worse.

Fatigue and heavy increased pulse (90-95 idle, 140-160 in walk) plus lowered SpO2 (88-95 vs normal 98-100%) were crucial negative trends I got from AW7. As a asthmatic person I was worried why I need to inhale more doses…

I decided to go for overall blood tests but before that ordered for fun a cov nostril test (went after idea that I might got sick by 5% of probability) - got it positive with all the surprise as it was first positive of 9-12 tests during pandemic (had multiple contacts, also few died / were on IC).

Pulse reading of AW is good only when band of the watch is quite tight. When it’s loose I got 88-94 vs 98-100% when it fit tight on my wrist.

Btw if someone wants to store daily data about symptoms he has, please find below the shortcut I made in the past:

And for fast body temperature writing (also adds sample Fever type when temp is >= 37.5*C)

I was told by my physician that it looked like people that had the worst from the vaccines either had Covid, or were infected at the time of the vaccine. Weird thought. I had no issues with any of the Covid vaccines, yet friends of mine were wiped out, severe arm pain, pronounced symptoms. It also could be a genetic component of the recipient that reacts to the vaccine. It's just weird how some have nothing, and others are like they have been worked over.

I had Covid the beginning of April too, and it was the weirdest illness I've ever had. I didn't experience many of the textbook symptoms, but what I did feel was off the charts. Hope not to ever get that crap again. Wow...

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I was told by my physician that it looked like people that had the worst from the vaccines either had Covid, or were infected at the time of the vaccine. Weird thought. I had no issues with any of the Covid vaccines, yet friends of mine were wiped out, severe arm pain, pronounced symptoms. It also could be a genetic component of the recipient that reacts to the vaccine. It's just weird how some have nothing, and others are like they have been worked over.

I had Covid the beginning of April too, and it was the weirdest illness I've ever had. I didn't experience many of the textbook symptoms, but what I did feel was off the charts. Hope not to ever get that crap again. Wow...
I tested myself 3 days before dose, of course negative :D Coming to thread - have you had anything not normal in AW readings?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Thanks for the thumping...

I have been saying ANY movement interrupts the Apple attempts. I can't be sitting on my bike, with my arm relatively stable, just slight swaying as I pedal, without the thing failing. I'm not 'flailing about', I'm actually quite stable, but apparently not dead still like the device/system requires. A gently swaying finger is not likely to mean a huge error on the Masimo I'd wager but the Apple Watch seems to completely lose it, and the former is reading continuously.

Maybe assuming you aren't talking to an complete idiot would be a good start too. I have said that I was 'still', just not completely catatonic. You people, so quick to assume everyone is an idiot because we ask questions based on out observations and experiences. I also DO realize that the measurements will vary by an unknown amount. I used to do science for a living.

I once tried all of the tire pressure gauges in my house, and some were off by (based on the gauge face) over 20psi. For a small lawn tractor tire, that degree of variation could be catastrophic. *POW*

So be nice?
You’re asking for nice, but ignoring the technical limitations of ALL of these devices.

When users point out that your finger meter is likely not giving an accurate reading *because if your refusal to use it as designed* you’re just arbitrarily deciding that it’s readings are worthy.

In short, your thread is “I want magic from a WRIST measurement of O2, why isn’t it as reliable as a device that does it from a completely different body part”.

This thread has been plenty nice, you just don’t like the answers your getting about the REAL limitations of current technology.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You’re asking for nice, but ignoring the technical limitations of ALL of these devices.

When users point out that your finger meter is likely not giving an accurate reading *because if your refusal to use it as designed* you’re just arbitrarily deciding that it’s readings are worthy.

In short, your thread is “I want magic from a WRIST measurement of O2, why isn’t it as reliable as a device that does it from a completely different body part”.

This thread has been plenty nice, you just don’t like the answers your getting about the REAL limitations of current technology.

But you assume I was having issues with the existing meter, and I wasn't. You just want an argument, and I don't have the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.