Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Did you all miss the part where this is an internal program on practices for integrating new employees? Or do you just have that much time to kill?

I think the poster was saying that he would love to view these classes for their historical value and general interest. But go ahead and be rude, as this is an internet forum.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Anyone else getting a creepy vibe from that? It seems like they're trying to calculate out exactly how to get the perfect product every time, which I suppose makes sense and is something that many people would benefit from.

It just seems off – and we probably didn't quite get all the details of course – but it makes you wonder, what is Apple's end goal? Do they think Steve Jobs had the correct and only solution for determining how to make products? If they hypothetically did buy back all their stock would it necessarily be a bad thing? Why is Apple trying to make so much money? I feel they must envision something greater.

One more thought, if they need this school does't that show you just how ridiculously pliable we are as people to believe somethings that sounds amazing. Something like that should be useless right? People should inherently understand it and not need to be taught it –*the apple way –*but apparently some people aren't fully convinced and this school persuades them.

But perhaps this article actually says much less...

Apple, like all tech companies, hires employees who have worked elsewhere. They bring some good ideas, but can also bring toxic ideas, the way Nortel employees destroyed RIM. Having these classes serves to help these hires by telling them which of their old attitudes are intolerable.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
So Apple basically brainwashes their employees into thinking the Apple way.

Some of you haven't had a lot of jobs with actual companies, I'm guessing. Every corporation with a lot of employees has mission statements and philosophies that they want to share with their employees. This is especially true at the management level. If you are going to be a decision-maker, your company wants to make sure you understand the philosophies and ideals that got them to that point. It doesn't mean you can't deviate from philosophies, but, as I once read, you can't break the rules until you understand them. As I understand, the VPs at Apple often disagree about the direction of a product, which is fine. But you have to have a general sense of what Apple is and what they want in their products before you can pitch a 7" tablet or a 5" smart phone.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That guy looks like a mix of Rob Riggle and Garth Brooks!

internal_training_apple_video-800x450.jpg

Carlosgomes

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013

You are being paranoid. Apple is a huge company with its very peculiar and specific set of mind, it's only natural that they want to make their employees familiar with their history and culture.

A regular part-time Pizza-hut has a similar introduction to the brand/company history and that's just normal. It obviously gets amplified at Apple because we're not talking about 16 years old people selling pizza slices.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

You are being paranoid. Apple is a huge company with its very peculiar and specific set of mind, it's only natural that they want to make their employees familiar with their history and culture.

A regular part-time Pizza-hut has a similar introduction to the brand/company history and that's just normal. It obviously gets amplified at Apple because we're not talking about 16 years old people selling pizza slices.

I used to work at Walt Disney World... and we had a similar thing:

"On your first day of work, you will be attending Disney Traditions, the program that introduces each new generation of cast members to the culture and heritage of the world-famous Disney organization. With a focus on the past, present, and future of Disney, Disney Traditions will help you recognize and appreciate the connections you have to the Disney story, the daily impact you can have on the quality of the Disney Show, and the role you can play in our Company's growth and success."​

I imagine most major corporations have something like this.

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Some of you haven't had a lot of jobs with actual companies, I'm guessing. Every corporation with a lot of employees has mission statements and philosophies that they want to share with their employees. This is especially true at the management level. If you are going to be a decision-maker, your company wants to make sure you understand the philosophies and ideals that got them to that point. It doesn't mean you can't deviate from philosophies, but, as I once read, you can't break the rules until you understand them. As I understand, the VPs at Apple often disagree about the direction of a product, which is fine. But you have to have a general sense of what Apple is and what they want in their products before you can pitch a 7" tablet or a 5" smart phone.

It's not about not having worked in actual companies. I've worked in quite a number of very large companies, and while they have their own culture and philosophies , apple takes it to a whole new level. Let's say in other companies these values are recommended reading ;) while at apple it more of a case of conforming . It's what makes the company produce awesome products, but you cannot deny there is an element of brainwashing. Unless you play by the rules at apple, you will not be around for long , I would assume.

Though I have not worked at Apple, visiting any retail store will tell you straight away these guys are a little brainwashed ;) I swear some would do the job without getting paid.

----------

is this to teach them how to not make low-quality products?

Replace the plastic bits with some aluminium , take off a few millimetres and charge 30% more ;)! Sound to remain the same.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I find the anecdotes interesting (I never realized the Google remote had so many buttons) - but this kind of thing isn't unique to Apple. Every company with more than ~200 employees that I've worked for had some kind of training program like this - even a grocery store I worked at. IBM flies you from wherever you are to their headquarters in NY for training courses that last between 2 and 10 days, depending on position and situation, when you first join.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I think the Apple University was one of the smartest things Jobs did. The company does have a different mindset than many others. When Jobs was alive, he could enforce it. But he wanted to make sure that his ideals that made the company what it is could be clearly communicated after he was gone. I don't see that as "brainwashing" or "indoctrination". I see that simply as maintaining the company's vision. Apple could easily be sidetracked into a geeky tech company or a boutique gizmo manufacturer, rather than a company that creates elegant products to make peoples' lives easier. Apple University is an attempt to maintain a balance between the two. A few decades from now, we'll know how successfully it worked.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
Agreed. I think most companies would benefit from something like this.

Most companies don't have culture like Apple does. If your values are to create a system and extract as much money as possible from it before it dies, a standard MBA program will have already taught you that.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... with rooms being described as being "well lit" and formed in a trapezoid shape with elevated seats so employees can clearly see their instructors...

Um, that would be a, "lecture theatre".

(for those of us who are not paid by the number of words we write for newspapers. :) )

-----------

Meanwhile, over at Samsung.... :D

Attachments

• 18ylto8oexfrbjpg.jpg
    18ylto8oexfrbjpg.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Some of you haven't had a lot of jobs with actual companies, I'm guessing....

Exactly. I read so many posts that make it clear most people here have not worked in corporations. They really don't understand how they work. Every big corporation has it's own "university" and specific train. It's not just for new people. It also helps keep all employees fresh and on target.

Thanks for sharing your post. Hopefully people here find it insightful.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Much has been made of the Apple TV remote. Its the worst remote I have ever used. Often I hear the clicking sounds and nothing happens(yes I have it pointed at the Apple TV with great difficulty considering how thin it is) and have to click twice sometimes... The very slight button travel also confuses you if you even clicked it and sometimes you do inadvertently.

No wonder it is only being used at "Apple University" as opposed to being in every home!

It looks good but works like crap.

I feel badly that you have such difficult with simple things. It must be a difficult life.

I've never had problems with the Apple remote, nor has anyone else I know.

DirecTV remote, though? VERY slow response time.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Um, that would be a, "lecture theatre".

(for those of us who are not paid by the number of words we write for newspapers. :) )

-----------

Meanwhile, over at Samsung.... :D

So you're saying that Apple is just like Samsung?
Magic

----------

Exactly. I read so many posts that make it clear most people here have not worked in corporations. They really don't understand how they work. Every big corporation has it's own "university" and specific train. It's not just for new people. It also helps keep all employees submissive and brainwashed.

Thanks for sharing your post. Hopefully people here find it insightful.

fxt

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Is there a program on how to pump product pipelines instead of just talk about how awesome they are?

A detailed overview of the course given by an employee shares how Apple used the works of Picasso to explain its vision: Another class taught by Nelson, titled "What Makes Apple, Apple" gives lessons on how the company executes its design principles with precision and simplicity in time.

Emphasis mine.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Wait.......

So you're telling me... the people who head up a successful company operate by a certain philosophy....and not only that.... but expect their employees to conform to that?

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 75

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple, like all tech companies, hires employees who have worked elsewhere. They bring some good ideas, but can also bring toxic ideas, the way Nortel employees destroyed RIM. Having these classes serves to help these hires by telling them which of their old attitudes are intolerable.

AKA, corporate culture. While bringing in new hires is one aspect of this, even more importantly, companies succeed less because of their leadership (and even less due to one leader) than by developing and sustaining successful habits. Apple as a company knows what it is about, and makes sure that everyone who works there knows too.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Am I the only person who gets a creepy vibe from this? It's like a Corporate Reeducation Center where people go to be brainwashed, it reeks of meaningless corporate doublespeak.

It's even creepier how they are treating Steve Jobs like a religious demigod...

If they wanted actual value they would keep that last class (teaching minimalism and industrialist/functionalist design) and add some highly technical courses like neural network computing, nanotechnology like working with graphene and carbon nanotubes, and green energy. Valuable people working for Apple already know the spirit that has made Apple successful in the past, trying to distill it in a classroom just won't work.

They can learn those things you mentioned at any university. They can only learn what makes Apple "Apple" from Apple. This ensures that the Apple spirit continues even in the decades to come

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.