Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I'm sympathetic to the idea that a $1500 credit card hold when you're not sending in the band seems to be out of proportion, but here's the thing...

Bands are subject to wear-and-tear. They send out a new band and they'd get a used band in return. You think it'd be practical to refurbish watch bands? It might not be too hard to sanitize a stainless steel band, but how the hell do you sanitize leather and canvas? And as much as scratches add character to a nice piece of leather, you don't want them on something new out of the box. How much would they have to charge for "AppleCare+ for Hermes" if they had to send out a new $339-$539 Hermes band with each Hermes repair? Let's see... two accidental damage incidents and, for argument's sake, one "defects in workmanship and materials" repair per customer... that's three bands.

I'm sure it'd be all over the web if it happened. "Hey! Before your warranty expires, claim your Watch isn't working, do an express replacement, and get a brand-new watch band!"

Now, for regular mail-in repairs, where there's no need for a credit card hold... the last thing they want is to be responsible for everyone's watch bands. The repair centers are factory-like settings, where things are unpacked in Receiving then moved to another area for testing/evaluation. If the watch is replaced (rather than repaired and returned) the original band has to make its way to the shipping department in order to be packed up with the replacement unit that was pulled from warehouse shelves. If the watch is repaired, the band has to be handled/stored in such a way that it won't be accidentally switched with someone else's watch... The potential for getting a red elastomer sports band after sending in a brown leather band is endless. No, just no way. Again, these are factories, not the neighborhood jewelry store with one little old Swiss watchmaker in the back room.

Oh, and why do they require un-pairing before setting up a repair? Un-pairing does two things: 1) it makes a backup of the Watch to the iPhone, and 2) Turns off Find My iPhone. You definitely want a backup, and Apple definitely does not want to have to deal with removing Find My iPhone in order to test/evaluate units under repair. If they made it possible for repair shops to remove Find My iPhone, enterprising techs/repair shops would go into business unlocking stolen goods.

So yeah, $1500 sucks if you procrastinate and don't send your Watch to them in time. So don't procrastinate. Take the thing down to FedEx as soon as you have the new Watch setup. Get a receipt from FedEx that proves you handed the thing over to them in less than 10 days. And sure, bad, unexpected things can happen - floods, fires, you could be robbed on the way to FedEx, personal tragedies, etc. But since those are not routine, and there are still human beings at Apple who are able to deal with exceptions when they arise... as long as you can eventually return the Watch to Apple, things will work out in the end.

It seems like the "principle of the thing" is getting in the way of getting the thing done. Yeah, maybe Apple will charge you more than the item you sent them is worth, IF something goes seriously wrong. So do what you can to ensure nothing goes seriously wrong.

Listen, I understand unpairing the watch before sending it back in, and I know exactly what it does. What I have a problem with is that I have to un-pair it while on the phone with Apple Support before they will even start the return process. I am working and they won't even initiate the exchange process until they can see on their end that I've unpaired my watch. If I was sitting at home with nothing to do that would be fine. As it was I was in a hospital between cases and it wasn't something in my opinion that needed to be done right then and there just to START the return process. Its a completely moronic process and I should be allowed to do it on my own time before I return the watch to them.

And I'm sorry, but its pretty black and white to me. I pay for AppleCare plus. Apple has put a pending charge on my CC for the FULL price of a brand new Hermes Apple Watch. I should be getting a brand new Hermes Apple Watch sealed in its box. Its not my fault that the watch battery sucks and that the watch has problems. Watches are subject to wear and tear. They repurpose those and should be able to repurpose bands. And besides that, Apple has a huuuuge markup on the Hermès bands and wouldn’t be taking that much of a loss if they got back a band that was in poor condition.

You're telling me its ok for a trillion dollar company to charge me the full amount for a watch when that's not what they are sending me? If anything Apple should be willing to accept my entire watch and bands back no questions asked and if need be take a loss on the bands if they are in poor condition (which they aren't). Why in God's name should Apple be put in the position to win and the customer in the position to lose? It should be equal on both fronts. Apple has stacked the chips all in their favor and that is absolutely the wrong way to treat your customers. My watch is 31 days old and if they want to charge me the full price for a replacement, then they should be sending me the FULL replacement and not just part of it.

And please, don't talk to me about procrastination. I work and I travel, and its a huge inconvenience to me that I have to go through this process and that Apple only gives me 10 days to get this done. The watch is being delivered to my home tomorrow but guess what, I won't be there to collect it so it will sit on my desk until I get back home next Friday, which will give me one day to ship it back to them. And I can't have my wife do it because I want to check it and make sure its new and working properly before I just send it back no questions asked.

Think long and hard before you side with big companies instead of the consumer in situations like this. Apple should take each case individually and not just have a blanket policy for every single one of these cases as they aren't all the same. Siding with a large company like Apple over the consumer only gives Apple more power the next time they want to screw over a customer because they feel like they should be in the drivers seat no matter what the situation is or how it affects the said individual in their daily life.

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Listen, I understand unpairing the watch before sending it back in, and I know exactly what it does. What I have a problem with is that I have to un-pair it while on the phone with Apple Support before they will even start the return process. I am working and they won't even initiate the exchange process until they can see on their end that I've unpaired my watch. If I was sitting at home with nothing to do that would be fine. As it was I was in a hospital between cases and it wasn't something in my opinion that needed to be done right then and there just to START the return process. Its a completely moronic process and I should be allowed to do it on my own time before I return the watch to them.

And I'm sorry, but its pretty black and white to me. I pay for AppleCare plus. Apple has put a pending charge on my CC for the FULL price of a brand new Hermes Apple Watch. I should be getting a brand new Hermes Apple Watch sealed in its box. Its not my fault that the watch battery sucks and that the watch has problems. Watches are subject to wear and tear. They repurpose those and should be able to repurpose bands. And besides that, Apple has a huuuuge markup on the Hermès bands and wouldn’t be taking that much of a loss if they got back a band that was in poor condition.

You're telling me its ok for a trillion dollar company to charge me the full amount for a watch when that's not what they are sending me? If anything Apple should be willing to accept my entire watch and bands back no questions asked and if need be take a loss on the bands if they are in poor condition (which they aren't). Why in God's name should Apple be put in the position to win and the customer in the position to lose? It should be equal on both fronts. Apple has stacked the chips all in their favor and that is absolutely the wrong way to treat your customers. My watch is 31 days old and if they want to charge me the full price for a replacement, then they should be sending me the FULL replacement and not just part of it.

And please, don't talk to me about procrastination. I work and I travel, and its a huge inconvenience to me that I have to go through this process and that Apple only gives me 10 days to get this done. The watch is being delivered to my home tomorrow but guess what, I won't be there to collect it so it will sit on my desk until I get back home next Friday, which will give me one day to ship it back to them. And I can't have my wife do it because I want to check it and make sure its new and working properly before I just send it back no questions asked.

Think long and hard before you side with big companies instead of the consumer in situations like this. Apple should take each case individually and not just have a blanket policy for every single one of these cases as they aren't all the same. Siding with a large company like Apple over the consumer only gives Apple more power the next time they want to screw over a customer because they feel like they should be in the drivers seat no matter what the situation is or how it affects the said individual in their daily life.

Just consider the old proverb about walking a mile in another person's shoes. If you ran the repair organization, how would you do things? It doesn't matter whether it's a trillion-dollar company or a one-man repair kiosk. Well, there is a difference - it might be easier to intimidate the owner of a one-man kiosk if you disagree with his standard terms and conditions.

You seriously think Apple will custom-fit a solution to each customer's requirements? For the sake of consumer protection as well as corporate protection, they publish their policies, terms and conditions. Consumer law usually requires that of repair businesses. Same deal for everyone, because everyone is paying the same price for those services. You want custom-crafted solutions? You'll pay more because the transaction-handling costs will go up. You want custom-tailored clothing instead of off-the-rack? Hint: You'll pay more.

If you were doing an iPhone repair, they do not send a charging block, charging cable, or ear buds with the replacement phone, yet the non-return fee is the same as the retail price. The thinking is, "Who in their right mind would set up a repair with the intention of not returning the original goods, if they can get a new unit with all the accessories for the same price?" It's not supposed to be an alternative to making a retail purchase, it's supposed to be a process for getting a repair done in a way that ensures the customer adheres to his side of the deal.

If you were setting up a repair with someone over the phone, and turning off Find My iPhone was critical for you to accomplish the repair, you'd insist on it being turned off before you could go another step. "Please remember to unpair it before you send it in" totally guarantees that some people will not unpair it, and you will then have to deal with returning it to them so that they can unpair it (or talking them through the process of erasing the thing using Find My iPhone). Figure the entire process could add a half-hour or more to processing the repair. If we're talking about large numbers of repairs in progress, a bigger staff is required to handle the extra work. Time is money, no matter how big your company is. An ounce of prevention, and all that.

It is not a "pending charge." It is an authorization. It's Apple asking your credit card issuer, "If we need to charge this, is it pre-approved?" "Pending" means the charge has been executed by the vendor, but the bank has not yet completed its end of the transaction. It is only charged if you do not return the old watch. The only "pending" about it is your personal intentions. If you'll be traveling, you can have it shipped to where you'll be. If it's going to be sitting on your desk doing nothing at all, why do an express replacement at all? Do a mail-in repair or drop it off at an Apple Store or authorized service provider and pick it up when convenient. No "pending charge" at all.

Again, if you expect a complete Hermes watch with band in the box, then expect to pay more somewhere along the line. It costs Apple more to provide that band, so that cost must be built into the repair fees/AppleCare coverage premium. It's that simple. Since you seem to be a businessperson, again, how would you deal with that added cost if you were the repair company?

Finally, if your time is so precious you can't manage to get the old watch to FedEx, why are you wasting so much of it debating with a bunch of people on the Internet? Nothing you say to us is going to change Apple's policies.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008

Enough with your rants. If you don’t like the policy. don’t buy their products and services. I see no reason why Apple should send you a complete watch including a band b/c they are not requiring you to return your existing band.

similarly, when you trade in a watch. You keep the existing band.

As far as your travel is concerned, I see that as your issue. If Apple had to accommodate everyone’s travel and work plans, then AppleCare permutations would be endless.

I would assume that you could have waited to initiate the replacement till you returned?

The only valid reason. I could see, if you had a history vid falling and needed the watch for fall detection or afib monitoring. Otherwise what did you do before the AW.when you needed to travel?

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Just consider the old proverb about walking a mile in another person's shoes. If you ran the repair organization, how would you do things? It doesn't matter whether it's a trillion-dollar company or a one-man repair kiosk. Well, there is a difference - it might be easier to intimidate the owner of a one-man kiosk if you disagree with his standard terms and conditions.

You seriously think Apple will custom-fit a solution to each customer's requirements? For the sake of consumer protection as well as corporate protection, they publish their policies, terms and conditions. Consumer law usually requires that of repair businesses. Same deal for everyone, because everyone is paying the same price for those services. You want custom-crafted solutions? You'll pay more because the transaction-handling costs will go up. You want custom-tailored clothing instead of off-the-rack? Hint: You'll pay more.

If you were doing an iPhone repair, they do not send a charging block, charging cable, or ear buds with the replacement phone, yet the non-return fee is the same as the retail price. The thinking is, "Who in their right mind would set up a repair with the intention of not returning the original goods, if they can get a new unit with all the accessories for the same price?" It's not supposed to be an alternative to making a retail purchase, it's supposed to be a process for getting a repair done in a way that ensures the customer adheres to his side of the deal.

If you were setting up a repair with someone over the phone, and turning off Find My iPhone was critical for you to accomplish the repair, you'd insist on it being turned off before you could go another step. "Please remember to unpair it before you send it in" totally guarantees that some people will not unpair it, and you will then have to deal with returning it to them so that they can unpair it (or talking them through the process of erasing the thing using Find My iPhone). Figure the entire process could add a half-hour or more to processing the repair. If we're talking about large numbers of repairs in progress, a bigger staff is required to handle the extra work. Time is money, no matter how big your company is. An ounce of prevention, and all that.

It is not a "pending charge." It is an authorization. It's Apple asking your credit card issuer, "If we need to charge this, is it pre-approved?" "Pending" means the charge has been executed by the vendor, but the bank has not yet completed its end of the transaction. It is only charged if you do not return the old watch. The only "pending" about it is your personal intentions. If you'll be traveling, you can have it shipped to where you'll be. If it's going to be sitting on your desk doing nothing at all, why do an express replacement at all? Do a mail-in repair or drop it off at an Apple Store or authorized service provider and pick it up when convenient. No "pending charge" at all.

Again, if you expect a complete Hermes watch with band in the box, then expect to pay more somewhere along the line. It costs Apple more to provide that band, so that cost must be built into the repair fees/AppleCare coverage premium. It's that simple. Since you seem to be a businessperson, again, how would you deal with that added cost if you were the repair company?

Finally, if your time is so precious you can't manage to get the old watch to FedEx, why are you wasting so much of it debating with a bunch of people on the Internet? Nothing you say to us is going to change Apple's policies.

Listen, I know you think you have all the answers here, but you don’t.

First of all, it absolutely is a Pending charge, please see the attached photo. Don’t tell me what something is when you have no idea what you are talking about. See where it says PENDING. Please don’t mention that again because you don’t know what the heck you’re talking about.

Secondly, I understand why they want to unpair the watch from the phone. I’ve already explained that I understand that. It’s a broken process though and shouldn’t have to be done to start the process. All I did was re-pair it again to my phone when we were done so the whole process was pointless.

Thirdly, comparing this to an iPhone return is absolutely ridiculous and you need to just stop. There isn’t an iPhone that comes with a $400 case as an option. Apple is treating the Hermès watch like any of the other watches they sell. The only thing of value in the iphone box is the iPhone itself. That argument makes no sense.

And I think Apple can and should make exceptions for people that buy their higher end products and try to work with them a little better. The Hermes watch comes with a very expensive band and if I’m paying the price for the whole watch with everything then that’s what I should be sent.
[automerge]1575571707[/automerge]
Enough with your rants. If you don’t like the policy. don’t buy their products and services. I see no reason why Apple should send you a complete watch including a band b/c they are not requiring you to return your existing band.

similarly, when you trade in a watch. You keep the existing band.

As far as your travel is concerned, I see that as your issue. If Apple had to accommodate everyone’s travel and work plans, then AppleCare permutations would be endless.

I would assume that you could have waited to initiate the replacement till you returned?

The only valid reason. I could see, if you had a history vid falling and needed the watch for fall detection or afib monitoring. Otherwise what did you do before the AW.when you needed to travel?

Dude, I hesitate to even reply because you obviously don’t read but I will since you took the time to respond to this.

I realize they aren’t asking me to return my band. I’m saying they SHOULD and should not be charging me the full price for a Hermès watch because I’m not getting the full product.

Secondly, Apple makes accommodations for people all the time so again you are clueless here. They let people extend past the return window for products all the time. I’m not saying they wouldn’t if I let it pass, but to just tell me flat out no on the phone yesterday was ridiculous.

I could have waited to initiate the return but I have a watch that kept a charge for about 8 hours and then died. Would you feel like you were getting your money’s worth on a watch that lasted that long? And my schedule changes all the time so trying to coordinate it would be impossible.

Thank you though for attempting to give your wisdom here. It’s much appreciated.

Attachments

• C4607DBA-7558-4E92-8A6C-DEEDC99B10B1.jpeg
    C4607DBA-7558-4E92-8A6C-DEEDC99B10B1.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Same thing when they replace a phone, you don't get the new accessories, blow up about nothing, it's only a hold and wont be charged anyway if you send the old one back.
Lucky your not dealing with Samsung lol.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
You aren’t being charged for $1500 and not getting a band. You are being charged $0 for a new watch. Just send it in on time and the charge automagically disappears.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Can the online Apple support see the notes from an Apple Store Genius Bar? I brought my watch in (end of October) for a few issues, they noted it but I never went through with the in store repair because of the time it would take. I didn’t go through with the express replacement because I wasn’t sure how it was gonna work. It will make my life easier.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Sounds like a bad Apple in the support department. I’d recommend filing a complaint against the rep as the rep was clearly talking out of his ass.

Dobbel

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2018
Netherlands
Listen, I know you think you have all the answers here, but you don’t.

First of all, it absolutely is a Pending charge, please see the attached photo. Don’t tell me what something is when you have no idea what you are talking about. See where it says PENDING. Please don’t mention that again because you don’t know what the heck you’re talking about.

Secondly, I understand why they want to unpair the watch from the phone. I’ve already explained that I understand that. It’s a broken process though and shouldn’t have to be done to start the process. All I did was re-pair it again to my phone when we were done so the whole process was pointless.

Thirdly, comparing this to an iPhone return is absolutely ridiculous and you need to just stop. There isn’t an iPhone that comes with a $400 case as an option. Apple is treating the Hermès watch like any of the other watches they sell. The only thing of value in the iphone box is the iPhone itself. That argument makes no sense.

And I think Apple can and should make exceptions for people that buy their higher end products and try to work with them a little better. The Hermes watch comes with a very expensive band and if I’m paying the price for the whole watch with everything then that’s what I should be sent.
[automerge]1575571707[/automerge]

Dude, I hesitate to even reply because you obviously don’t read but I will since you took the time to respond to this.

I realize they aren’t asking me to return my band. I’m saying they SHOULD and should not be charging me the full price for a Hermès watch because I’m not getting the full product.

Secondly, Apple makes accommodations for people all the time so again you are clueless here. They let people extend past the return window for products all the time. I’m not saying they wouldn’t if I let it pass, but to just tell me flat out no on the phone yesterday was ridiculous.

I could have waited to initiate the return but I have a watch that kept a charge for about 8 hours and then died. Would you feel like you were getting your money’s worth on a watch that lasted that long? And my schedule changes all the time so trying to coordinate it would be impossible.

Thank you though for attempting to give your wisdom here. It’s much appreciated.

do stop this silly argument, by now we know you have a Hermes band...

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Also, when I buy gas, I often have a charge of $99 PENDING for a day or so, then when it clears it's the actual $30.73. The pending really doesn't mean anything other than making sure the money is there IF NEEDED. I don't why gas stations do this, but I've never actually been charged $99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.