Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
My loved Apple TV has seen better days.

It recently (over the past few days) has decided to randomly and without notice, go into stand-by mode. Occasionally it will happen after seeing this pop-up: "Press and hold the power button to shut down." Other times... it gets me in the middle of a movie.

I've already swapped out the HDMI sample, moved power plugs, did a soft reset, hard reset, pulled the plug, erased and reset completely... and the problem says "Hi! 👋 " after a few minutes of peace and tranquility.

While Apple is sending an "Express Replacement"... I wonder, what do you think is wrong with it. Also, note that I moved my remote into a closet downstairs... thinking maybe the remote's power button is stuck. But, alas, it is not.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I'm not real clear on the circumstances of the issue. For example, which app are you using to stream video when the ATV puts itself into stand-by mode? What kind of videos (content) are you watching? Apple paid content, rented content, files you created from ripping DVDs or Blu-Ray discs, etc.? I'm also confused on how you have your Siri remote in a closet but still manage to use it.

It does sound like Apple thought the ATV was the issue and are sending you a replacement, so hopefully that fixes the issue.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I'm not real clear on the circumstances of the issue. For example, which app are you using to stream video when the ATV puts itself into stand-by mode? What kind of videos (content) are you watching? Apple paid content, rented content, files you created from ripping DVDs or Blu-Ray discs, etc.? I'm also confused on how you have your Siri remote in a closet but still manage to use it.

It does sound like Apple thought the ATV was the issue and are sending you a replacement, so hopefully that fixes the issue.
The issue occurs in any app, even settings, on the Home Screen… etc.

It is irrelevant to any content.

Your iPhone connects to your TV as a remote. It show I primarily use my TV.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
The new Apple TV arrived, and after using the remote I discovered that the issue was with the remote… They are also replacing that.

Oh, when I got the support box in, it was just the TV… Which was really really weird, and I personally felt was out of character for Apple. When they said they were sending me a new one I assume they were going to send a new Apple, TV, with a new cord, with the new remote… But it looks like to save money. They just sent me just the Apple TV box. Just a black box. No documentation, no nothing and that same box was used for my return…

It was extremely strange to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.