Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
So I've been using an m1 Max MacBook Pro 16" for the past year and there is one issue that I've tried fixing over and over again but couldn't find the right fix for.

After a fresh installation, everything seems to open almost instantly but about a month down the line and things starts taking forever to open. I've confirmed all apps running the native apple silicon version and I'm on the latest version of macOS available. In this case, macOS Sonoma 14.1.2, but this also happened on Ventura.

Keep in mind, the apps are slow to open after a reboot or a restart, only slow to open when I first click it to open for the first time after a boot up.
Luminar Neo for example takes more than a whole minute to open!

Microsoft Word as well takes forever to open, not as long as luminar but still very long time compared to what it was.

Already did EtreCheck and everything seems fine...

The only solution that I found to fix this issue was clean install the OS and copy everything from a TimeMachine backup.

But again, after a while this starts happening again.

Is there any way to fix this without clean installing everything?

Thank you

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Is your MBP connected via Ethernet w/external hub or Wi-Fi? Quit all applications. Turn off networking or disconnect networking so your MBP is air gapped. Try launching applications. Do they launch faster?

The apps which are slow to open… downloaded from the Mac App Store or installed by third-party methods?

Reactions: Basic75

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Is your MBP connected via Ethernet w/external hub or Wi-Fi? Quit all applications. Turn off networking or disconnect networking so your MBP is air gapped. Try launching applications. Do they launch faster?

The apps which are slow to open… downloaded from the Mac App Store or installed by third-party methods?
connected via Wi-Fi, the apps that are more slow to open are installed from third party methods
I tried with no internet connection and the apps are still slow to open
Also, tried installing macOS again, the problem persists

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
connected via Wi-Fi, the apps that are more slow to open are installed from third party methods
I tried with no internet connection and the apps are still slow to open
Also, tried installing macOS again, the problem persists

I assume that after you re-install macOS, then restore everything form a backup, you also install all your regular 3rd-party utilities? If so, then try to make a new clean user account - will you experience the same issue there?

Also, keep Activity Monitor open at all times (Memory tab). Will you see anything unusual (abnormal memory/CPU usage by some processes, memory pressure in the yellow etc.)?

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I assume that after you re-install macOS, then restore everything form a backup, you also install all your regular 3rd-party utilities? If so, then try to make a new clean user account - will you experience the same issue there?

Also, keep Activity Monitor open at all times (Memory tab). Will you see anything unusual (abnormal memory/CPU usage by some processes, memory pressure in the yellow etc.)?
Yes indeed, i don’t change anything, only delete the Mac, clean install OS, copy the data from Time Machine and everything works flawlessly, fast opening on every app etc.

If i only re-install the OS, the issue persists.
I booked a phone call for Apple to call me tomorrow, I don’t think they can do anything about this but may as well try.

In the meantime I’m doing a clean install again, but I did save a System Report to give Apple tomorrow

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Have you tried to turn off Wifi and then start the apps? MS Word for example might check your license before opening.
Yes, I did try that, did not fix it, very slow as well.

I actually recorded a video of my M1 Max vs my other Intel MacBook Pro from 2017, click both Word apps at same time and guess what the intel one opened faster Lol.
Both running the latest version of Word

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Strange, I also have a 16'' M1 Max and don't have that problem. If there is no unusual RAM or CPU use, then you might have a really interesting problem. :)

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Strange, I also have a 16'' M1 Max and don't have that problem. If there is no unusual RAM or CPU use, then you might have a really interesting problem. :)
I know, it’s very strange! And i use apps like Clean My Mac and Onyx to keep everything clean

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I know, it’s very strange! And i use apps like Clean My Mac and Onyx to keep everything clean
My best guess would be a program running in the background that slows down apps for who knows what reason. I never use the apps you mentioned above, I'm not sure if they always run some processes in the background that could cause this. I would do a fresh install without using backups and reinstall programs one by one and stay away from potentially sketchy apps.

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
My best guess would be a program running in the background that slows down apps for who knows what reason. I never use the apps you mentioned above, I'm not sure if they always run some processes in the background that could cause this. I would do a fresh install without using backups and reinstall programs one by one and stay away from potentially sketchy apps.
I do understand what you mean, in this case these apps are paid apps, in the case of CleanMyMac, i have a license, and is available on the AppStore as well but not as many features.

I don’t have much apps installed, i have 740gb free, so i really don’t know.

Also if i clean install and copy everything from the backup this should keep the issue since everything is the same, but if clean install it performs normal

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Please try killall -KILL Dock and report back whether app launching is quicker
I already clean install and did a Time Machine backup, if it happens again i will try that, but i found in the Apple Community forum, that are others users with the same issue

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Do you have any dns filtering system that could block OCSP checks or slow them down ?
I was thinking the same which is why I asked OP to disable his network connections. I would have thought the checks would short-circuit w/out active network, but, alas, OP reported apps still launched slow even after MBP was air gapped.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
And i use apps like Clean My Mac and Onyx to keep everything clean
Oh dear. Onyx has some legitimate use cases, but you don't normally need to run it all the time. Clean My Mac on the other hand is somewhere between useless garbage and outright malware. I agree with everybody else suggesting to remove it!

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Why you say that about CleanMyMac? What bad experiences have you had with that app?
Its just the sort of utilities that people use to jam their systems with. I´ve had several occasions where I was called to help users (family, friends, co-workers) get their systems running normally again after applying such stuff.
In some cases it was not straightforward to completely get rid of the software.
OC it´s completely up to everyone to apply what I´d call snake oil, and I´m not saying that macOS does not need some additional protection when surfing the net. Imho you´d need a max. of two (and only those two) kinds of tools: A network filter such as Little Snitch and perhaps a slim streamlined virus scanner such as ClamXav. Both do not gobble up system resources, have a clean business case behind them and also a clear "mission" of what they do. Multi-tools (swiss army knives) like cleaners that offer dozends of functions out-of-the-box tend to do more harm than really help.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"And i use apps like Clean My Mac and Onyx to keep everything clean"

STOP USING Clean My Mac.
Onyx is ok.
I wouldn't use any others.

Aside:
Because of these apps, I'm wondering if some cache files (or other ancillary files) that apps would use to "open faster" are getting "wiped away" (thus resulting in a slower startup)...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.