Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
"And i use apps like Clean My Mac and Onyx to keep everything clean"

STOP USING Clean My Mac.
Onyx is ok.
I wouldn't use any others.

Aside:
Because of these apps, I'm wondering if some cache files (or other ancillary files) that apps would use to "open faster" are getting "wiped away" (thus resulting in a slower startup)...?
that's a very good way to think, I will try not to use clean my Mac or Onyx that much, only on some rare needed cases.
I only used it to clean some cache etc, I also did the purgeable space clean, I wonder if it can mess up the os?

miguelbesy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
So I think I might found the issue.
Onyx has an option on "Other" called " Fonts cache "

It says :
"
Fonts cache

You can use this option to delete the fonts cache. The fonts cache files accelerate font loading. Deleting them will temporarily slow the fonts from appearing, but it will also correct some issues. This will not delete any personal font collection.

Note: After cleaning the fonts cache of some applications, the initial startup may be particularly lengthy."

Can this be the cause of the issue? I had this selected

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
So I think I might found the issue.
Onyx has an option on "Other" called " Fonts cache "

It says :
"
Fonts cache

You can use this option to delete the fonts cache. The fonts cache files accelerate font loading. Deleting them will temporarily slow the fonts from appearing, but it will also correct some issues. This will not delete any personal font collection.

Note: After cleaning the fonts cache of some applications, the initial startup may be particularly lengthy."

Can this be the cause of the issue? I had this selected
Very likely, one of the nice things about Macs is that I don't feel the need to do much housekeeping. I just let the OS do its thing and I don't worry about it, peace of mind is a nice thing. :)

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
that's a very good way to think, I will try not to use clean my Mac or Onyx that much, only on some rare needed cases.
I only used it to clean some cache etc, I also did the purgeable space clean, I wonder if it can mess up the os?
IMO do not have any such apps on your Mac. Not just "try not to use..." but literally never imported. This is 2023 and Mac OS has not needed to be corrupted by such deep-diving apps for decades. Just have plenty of RAM and let the OS do its thing; stop worrying about "clean some cache etc."

Check your RAM frequently using Activity Monitor during operation to make sure you do not have dead RAM or intermittent failure for some reason. Do the same for CPU and GPU usage. E.g. Siri had a known bug that was grabbing 99% of CPU that I found on a friend's iMac a few months ago. It made startup very slow, and she only used Mail and Chrome. For her I simply turned off Siri because she did not use it on the Mac.

A PITA, but you might need to start with a wiped drive and clean OS, and not download any "helper" apps or other free or non-essential apps. The Mac OS does not need them, and even if they are reputed OK they may have hitchikers that are not.

Last edited:

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
I know, it’s very strange! And i use apps like Clean My Mac and Onyx to keep everything clean
Be careful with both of these products. While Onyx is a respected tool, it is very easy to remove files and caches that your Mac typically uses to function as expected.

You may experience things such as system slow downs, indexing issues and UI problems.

These sort of tools are more popular on Windows because Windows loves dumping junk files everywhere.

The only cleaner tool id recommend for your Mac is AppCleaner to uninstall apps.

Reactions: crjackson2134

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Some apps do require initial preparation, especially on first launch following a fresh (re)boot. For example, one I am familiar with:

Anyway… I agree with others, and recommend you don’t run or even have utilities such as Onyx installed unless you have problems that are unfixable/uncorrectable using more traditional/official means:

P.S. I say this having successfully used Onyx, Cocktail, and a few other utilities in the past. Most problems, if any, I encounter nowadays are, quite frankly, actual OS bugs.

Matthew Yang

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2024
It's that apps store files in the RAM to load up faster. However, when you reboot, those files get erased from the RAM, so they slow down. It's also the reason why rebooting may help to fix a stuck app: sometimes, the RAM gets full, so if you reboot, it will get rid of everything in the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.