Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@juancarlosonetti
Hmm.. well honestly the fact that any of those are remotely usable on a G3 is surprising. All 3 browsers have been built without Altivec optimizations because we have users with PowerPC Amiga machines that don't have Altivec. The youtube/video issue probably stems from UXP slowly ripping out legacy code as their devs don't want to support old hardware. You can however install grease monkey, viewtube script and browser-plugin-vlc for flawless YT playback.
See this thread: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4205&start=100

I modified a few add-ons that work with spiderweb ( adblocker / noscript etc ) and you can find those here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qUY4UL678WxTna81mBcqOxYpi1wUNUoV
If there is anything specific you are looking for let me know and i'll try to get those add-on requests modified to work.

Cheers

EDIT: Also on a G3 i'd suggest a mobile user agent. It might help with AF and PM as SpiderWeb uses a mobile UA by default. That's probably why it feels faster.

Reactions: juancarlosonetti

juancarlosonetti

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
Spain
@juancarlosonetti
Hmm.. well honestly the fact that any of those are remotely usable on a G3 is surprising. All 3 browsers have been built without Altivec optimizations because we have users with PowerPC Amiga machines that don't have Altivec. The youtube/video issue probably stems from UXP slowly ripping out legacy code as their devs don't want to support old hardware. You can however install grease monkey, viewtube script and browser-plugin-vlc for flawless YT playback.
See this thread: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4205&start=100

I modified a few add-ons that work with spiderweb ( adblocker / noscript etc ) and you can find those here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qUY4UL678WxTna81mBcqOxYpi1wUNUoV
If there is anything specific you are looking for let me know and i'll try to get those add-on requests modified to work.

Cheers

EDIT: Also on a G3 i'd suggest a mobile user agent. It might help with AF and PM as SpiderWeb uses a mobile UA by default. That's probably why it feels faster.

Thank you very much for your response. Although a mobile user agent improves things a bit, SpiderWeb runs way better still, not only on websites, but also at the interface level. While navigating the menus in Arctoc Fox is slow and laggy, on Spiderweb there's no noticeable lag. It feels as light as Netsurf, which is amazing.

On the extensions side, the thing I miss the most from Pale Moon is µMatrix / ηMatrix. While NoScript is okay (and it's what I'm using right now), µMatrix offers more control over what can be blocked.

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

I released Arctic Fox 27.9.18a1 for old Linux PowerPC distributions like Ubuntu 10.04 or higher today.

Download: arcticfox-27.9.18a1-ubuntu10.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

For Ubuntu 10.04: You need to install the GCC 4.8 and the libatomic1 via the repository 'ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test'.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test

Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8

For Ubuntu 12.04: You need the libatomic1 package. Download: libatomic-ubuntu12.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

Please copy the file 'libatomic.so.1' to '/usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/' with the following command:

Code:
sudo cp libatomic.so.1 /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/

Screenshot of Arctic Fox 27.9.18a1 on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS PowerPC:

Cheers,
Christian

juancarlosonetti

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
Spain

Thank you! May I ask what the process of porting a Pale Moon extension to Spiderweb looks like? When I tried to install the Pale Moon version directly, a pop-up told me that the extension was "not compatible with Spiderweb2/1". Is there anything inside the extension file that dictates in which browsers it can be installed? Or do you need to rewrite a portion of the extension's code?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@juancarlosonetti if you want PM specific add-ons it's quite easy as I changed the original app ID to reflect PM's instead and enabled extension support . Open blahblah-addon.xpi (I use midnight commander for this) and edit install.rdf. Replace PM with SpiderWeb then change the min version to 1.0.* and max to 2.* and save. This will allow the .xpi to install. Not all will *work* but most will.

Cheers

Reactions: juancarlosonetti
Unfathomable. Booting up this morning, AF screen full of adds !? Found that uBlock Origin was gone! I mean, not just disabled but GONE. Wtf?

Dug it up again from github. Apparently there was a ß release yesterday. Not for us, though. Is it possible that the helper addon uBlock Origin Updater is acting funny... ye knowledgeable ones?

[ADDING TO THE FUN] Minutes later, finding two files: uBlock0@raymondhill.net 16.02.09.xpi and uBlock0@raymondhill.net.xpi, quarantined (malware) by ClamXav. They're both dated June 3rd this year, but I'm pretty sure they weren't there a couple of days ago. Can't even rely on GitHub, or whoever, these days?

[ADDING TO THE FUN 2] Working further on this, it could be that the culprit is ClamXav — notorious for its false positives, unfortunately. At any rate, yesterday it had “detected” a malware by the name of “Js.Coinminer.Generic-7104549-0” in the addon and accordingly removed it. For that matter, the removed addon is exactly the same size as the newly installed one (which ClamXav apparently had no problem with)

I can't be sure of all this yet, but anyway apologies for any panic this may have caused.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Unfathomable. Booting up this morning, AF screen full of adds !? Found that uBlock Origin was gone! I mean, not just disabled but GONE. Wtf?

Dug it up again from github. Apparently there was a ß release yesterday. Not for us, though. Is it possible that the helper addon uBlock Origin Updater is acting funny... ye knowledgeable ones?

[ADDING TO THE FUN] Minutes later, finding two files: uBlock0@raymondhill.net 16.02.09.xpi and uBlock0@raymondhill.net.xpi, quarantined (malware) by ClamXav. They're both dated June 3rd this year, but I'm pretty sure they weren't there a couple of days ago. Can't even rely on GitHub, or whoever, these days?

[ADDING TO THE FUN 2] Working further on this, it could be that the culprit is ClamXav — notorious for its false positives, unfortunately. At any rate, yesterday it had “detected” a malware by the name of “Js.Coinminer.Generic-7104549-0” in the addon and accordingly removed it. For that matter, the removed addon is exactly the same size as the newly installed one (which ClamXav apparently had no problem with)

I can't be sure of all this yet, but anyway apologies for any panic this may have caused.

Given that it's evidently not even well-built, it's definitely ClamXav. GitHub is entirely trustable.

See what happens with the updater when the antivirus is gone. For that matter, you really don't need an antivirus on OS X, provided you're not always going off to sketchy sites.

I've never even used an antivirus in my last several installs of Windows 7 and XP (both always browsing the web, mind you), and there have been no problems at all.

The key is not to visit bad sites or download anything slightly suspicious, that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparty411
Given that it's not even well-built, it's definitely ClamXav. GitHub is entirely trustable.
Good to know.

See what happens with the updater when the antivirus is gone.
You're right, at this point it doesn't seem that the updater is involved. Maybe I should have removed that bit, but then the post would maybe have sounded even more confusing.

For that matter, you really don't need an antivirus on OS X, provided you're not always going off to sketchy sites.
I hear you, and I don't use seat belts either ;-) Actually I didn't use one (an AV) until a contract with a customer forced me to install one. But then, there have been a case or two, can't remember when, with stuff that looked real enough (didn't bother testing, though)

I've never even used an antivirus in my last several installs of Windows 7 and XP (both always browsing the web, mind you), and there have been no problems at all. The key is not to visit bad sites or download anything slightly suspicious, that's all.
That's fine, as long as “bad” sites advertise that they are “bad” before you follow a link, but usually... they don't.

Thanks a lot.

juancarlosonetti

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
Spain
May I make a suggestion?

In about:config, "browser.padlock.urlbar_background" is, by default, set to "2". I propose changing the default setting to "0".

Making this change improves the appearance of the urlbar, turning this:

VKCwIMl.png

Into this:

k9Qig08.png

A definitive cosmetic improvement. In fact, I don't know why it's not like that by default.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I built a 32-bit 27.9.18a1 for Mac 10.6. Please test it. I do believe the javascript issue with forum.majaro.org (and maybe some other sites) is now fixed. If all goes well we shouldn't be too far away from the next official release. As always the link to download is: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads

Cheers

Been using for about an hour on my 2007 Mac Mini w/Snow Leo, browsing is fine, YouTube works great, was able to access a banking site no problem. I changed the history preference to "Remember History" and then some weirdness happened, as follows:
  • A pop-up appeared saying Arctic Fox would have to restart to "disable this feature." I clicked "OK" and the browser restarted. But then...
  • Instead of restarting the instance of Arctic Fox that was already in my dock, it instead added a new instance, as though I was opening an application that wasn't already in my dock. So now I've got two Arctic Fox icons in my dock. I remove the original icon, move the new one over where the original one was, and carry on. But then...
  • I decide to open a New Private Window from the File menu. It opens no problem, but I notice that the OS X "traffic lights" do not appear in the private window's title bar. There are no traffic lights, no way to minimize/maximize the private window, no way to close the private window without quitting Arctic Fox altogether. There is also no title appearing in the title bar; in fact no words at all. Furthermore, when clicking and dragging from the title bar - to move the window around - nothing happens. I can click a little further down, underneath the address bar, and drag the window around from there; but not from the title bar. I can resize the window from the bottom right corner as normal.
  • Just opening a new window - with AF set to remember history - doesn't do anything unusual. It all works like it's supposed to. It's only when opening a new private window that the weirdness ensues.
  • When I go back into preferences and tell Arctic Fox to "never remember history", I get a similar popup, click "OK" and AF restarts. But this time, it doesn't create a new instance of Arctic Fox, it restarts from the same place in the dock. I can then open new windows, new private windows, and everything works as it should.
So, in summary: this version of Arctic Fox does strange things with private windows and strange things on restarts when a user tells it to remember history. Everything's fine, though, if you leave the history preference set to the default of "never remember." I've never tried this with earlier versions of AF, so don't know if this is something new.

FWIW. I hope this helps.

[…]
  • I decide to open a New Private Window from the File menu. It opens no problem, but I notice that the OS X "traffic lights" do not appear in the private window's title bar. There are no traffic lights, no way to minimize/maximize the private window, no way to close the private window without quitting Arctic Fox altogether. There is also no title appearing in the title bar; in fact no words at all. Furthermore, when clicking and dragging from the title bar - to move the window around - nothing happens. I can click a little further down, underneath the address bar, and drag the window around from there; but not from the title bar. I can resize the window from the bottom right corner as normal.
[…]
I'm not going to test a 32bit version, but FYI (and Wicknix's): this is exactly how Private Windows have always behaved, ever since I started using AF. Guess I'm used to it by now. Btw, to close your private window: if +W doesn't work, try +SFT+W.

Reactions: Raging Dufus

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah private Windows had that problem in Pm27 also. I had fixed it early on in AF but it broke devtools so I reverted the fix. To work around that AF is set to never remember history by default, which is exactly what a new private window achieves.

Some day I hope to have time to fix that (without breaking devtools this time) for users who don't always want to be in private mode.

Cheers

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Yeah private Windows had that problem in Pm27 also. I had fixed it early on in AF but it broke devtools so I reverted the fix. To work around that AF is set to never remember history by default, which is exactly what a new private window achieves.

Some day I hope to have time to fix that (without breaking devtools this time) for users who don't always want to be in private mode.

Cheers

I was just giving you some data, it's not really a problem for me. I've always used AF as it came, w/o history, and it works like a charm. I just thought the behavior might be indicative of something else that maybe you needed to know about. Thanks for all your good work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.