Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Let me start by saying that I have had (almost) every iPhone since the 3GS.
So, if memory serves:
3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus, X (skipped 8, of course), skipped XS, 11 Pro, 12 Pro, skipped 13, and now 14 Pro (I also still have the 12 Pro).

So, as many, I have had a lot of iPhones and have installed every latest iOS that was ever released, starting from beta into GM.

Now, sure, iOS looks "prettier" and very clean; they brought widgets, the app drawer, live OCR, now slowly live activities, Apple Pay, (magsafe hardware) and a bunch more features that are too long to list, but after using iOS for all these years, the base, to me is still the same:
  • same home screen
  • same dock
  • same mostly non-modifiable control center (if I cannot add custom apps or shortcuts, it's not modifiable to me)
  • and to me, Siri sucks; apologies to all those who find it good; from my experience, it is just less frustrating not to use Siri than repeating myself endless times to take care of a task that would take five seconds manually)

Of course, I love much more than I don't love, but the basics (again, see above), to me, are stagnant.

This got me thinking about switching over to Android, but the things I love most about iOS and iPhones, keep me with Apple.
Specifically: Apple Pay, MagSafe, Sharing purchases with family, AirDrop, FaceID (I do miss TouchID), the seamless integration with other apple devices, etc.

That said, this got me thinking, some may get tired of Apple and try to switch to android, but find it is too much and then go back to Apple, but are there any Android fans that feel "bored" with Android and chose to jump ship to Apple? If so, were the jump differences enough to keep you with Apple, or did you go back to Android?

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So, if memory serves:
3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus, X (skipped 8, of course), skipped XS, 11 Pro, 12 Pro, skipped 13, and now 14 Pro (I also still have the 12 Pro).

So, as many, I have had a lot of iPhones and have installed every latest iOS that was ever released, starting from beta into GM.

Now, sure, iOS looks "prettier" and very clean; they brought widgets, the app drawer, live OCR, now slowly live activities, Apple Pay, (magsafe hardware) and a bunch more features that are too long to list, but after using iOS for all these years, the base, to me is still the same:
  • same home screen
  • same dock
  • same mostly non-modifiable control center (if I cannot add custom apps or shortcuts, it's not modifiable to me)
  • and to me, Siri sucks; apologies to all those who find it good; from my experience, it is just less frustrating not to use Siri than repeating myself endless times to take care of a task that would take five seconds manually)

Of course, I love much more than I don't love, but the basics (again, see above), to me, are stagnant.

This got me thinking about switching over to Android, but the things I love most about iOS and iPhones, keep me with Apple.
Specifically: Apple Pay, MagSafe, Sharing purchases with family, AirDrop, FaceID (I do miss TouchID), the seamless integration with other apple devices, etc.

That said, this got me thinking, some may get tired of Apple and try to switch to android, but find it is too much and then go back to Apple, but are there any Android fans that feel "bored" with Android and chose to jump ship to Apple? If so, were the jump differences enough to keep you with Apple, or did you go back to Android?

No actually the opposite. I felt let down by iOS 16 and was bored with the iPhone. Add the esim only and hole pill cut out on the display and I would say the iPhone 14 series was about the worst update Apple has made on a phone in several years.

I had a iPhone 13 Pro Max and iOS 16 seemed to kill my battery by about 30% over what it was. Apple didn't give us AOD even though the display is capable of it. Widgets kind of sucked and they got rid of the wallpaper I loved on iOS 15. Bugs too.

Conversely I traded in my 13 Pro Max for a Google Pixel 7 Pro. It is an amazing phone. Better animations, wallpapers, screen is better IMHO.

Then you have the Pixel exclusive features like call screening, better speech to text to a point you can practically use the phone hands free. Photo unblur, better camera system and on.

Obviously it is not a perfect phone and makes some compromises to sell at a lower price. The Tensor G2 is decent but could be a bit faster, last longer on battery but in daily use I don't feel it is any different in performance than my iPhone 13 Pro Max was.

I was able to get a Samsung s23 ultra on promotion and sold an older s22 plus. So far the s23 ultra is simply amazing. It is super fast, lasts a long time on battery, has incredible camera, better screen, s pen, great speakers, great cell reception.

Android 13 and One UI 5 have a ton of features not on any iPhone. Apps are basically the same. There are obviously some Apple exclusive apps like procreate that aren't on Android but for my use nothing I miss. There is better theming on Android, better customization. You have Dex which is better than Stage Manager. Android auto is fantastic with split screen functionality.

Samsung offers the same file share as air drop with a PC, calling and texting from my PC and Samsung tablet work the same as Apple. There is a find my device like Apple.

The downside is if you have a lot invested in the Apple ecosystem. Other Apple devices won't play nice with an Android phone. Obviously iMessage is not going to work but texting on cell devices is fine. Air drop will not work. You can still get texts from your Mac but you have to go online to do it. Obviously no FaceTime either. So you would have to make adjustments and some work arounds for other friends and family on Apple devices.

Of course if you have other Apple devices you can use those for FaceTime, air drop, etc.

And yes Siri does pretty much suck. Google assistant is much better.

I would highly recommend a Pixel 7 Pro or s23 ultra. I think either of those phones would give the best experience coming from an iPhone.

You might just buy an Android phone like I mentioned above. Use it for over a week and see if you like it. At first you are going to have iOS withdrawals and miss everything that is exclusive to Apple. You are going to feel like there are too many inconveniences. If you give it enough time you will move past that and find solutions to any roadblocks. Then you might just enjoy using something different. You might enjoy Android gesture support more and many of the things I said. You might also feel more free not being locked down into iOS.

You can get a Pixel 7 for a decent price and keep your iPhone and that way you can alternate between the two until you are ready to go all in if that is what you choose or you can just use a nice Android phone.

Good luck whatever you decide. There is no wrong choice even if you end up going back to iPhone. Use what fits your needs the best and what offers the best hardware for the cost.

Oh and I forgot to mention with Pixel devices you get regular security updates, OS upgraded and feature drop updates. So besides just going from Android 13 to 14 Google will add new features every so often to your Pixel irrespective of the version of Android you are using which I think keeps the Pixel from getting boring.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So, if memory serves:

• same home screen
  • same dock

The tweaking of icons, themes, etc might be of interest for some, especially younger people and geeks, so they may gravitate towards Android since you can customize things to your heart content. You can even use different launchers every day.

And yes, this was me when I was younger. But now as I got older and more things to worry about (like work), I care less and less about heavy customizations as I spend most of my times on the apps, not staring at my Home Screen. My S21 has the exact same wallpaper and icon setup from the first time I set it up. Thus I have no qualms about iOS being boring. I want boring, so I don’t have to worry about it as I have other things to worry about. This is why I love iOS restore system, as I can have the exact setup on a new iPhone. This is also why the new lock screen customization on iOS actually annoys me, as it makes it more complicated than before to simply change your wallpaper. The constant changing of notification in every new Android versions also annoys me.

Signs of aging? 😂

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
So, if memory serves:

• same home screen
  • same dock

Stagnation will not make me want to downgrade to an iPhone. I'd lose way too much functionality. The beauty of the Android side of things is, there's always something new going on. Bored with the old, and wanted cutting edge features? Pick up a Pixel. Want a change of pace with form factor? Pick up a foldable. Either way, you don't lose much in making changes. But to switch over to iPhone, not only would I not gain anything of note, I'd lose a lot of the functionality that I've come to expect. I've already had to deal with that for work, I wouldn't voluntarily go back to that, especially because of "boredom". While no, there haven't been the large leaps we've seen Android lead the market with in the past, it isn't to the point that I'm "bored".

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The tweaking of icons, themes, etc might be of interest for some, especially younger people and geeks, so they may gravitate towards Android since you can customize things to your heart content. You can even use different launchers every day.

And yes, this was me when I was younger. But now as I got older and more things to worry about (like work), I care less and less about heavy customizations as I spend most of my times on the apps, not staring at my Home Screen. My S21 has the exact same wallpaper and icon setup from the first time I set it up. Thus I have no qualms about iOS being boring. I want boring, so I don’t have to worry about it as I have other things to worry about. This is why I love iOS restore system, as I can have the exact setup on a new iPhone. This is also why the new lock screen customization on iOS actually annoys me, as it makes it more complicated than before to simply change your wallpaper. The constant changing of notification in every new Android versions also annoys me.

Signs of aging? 😂
Right there with ya. Rooted my Galaxy Note 2 and OG Moto Droid (the one with the hardware keyboard). Even jailbroke old school iphones. Now? I just take my iPhone as it is. I don't even do the Focus stuff. Too much hassle. LOL.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Right there with ya. Rooted my Galaxy Note 2 and OG Moto Droid (the one with the hardware keyboard). Even jailbroke old school iphones. Now? I just take my iPhone as it is. I don't even do the Focus stuff. Too much hassle. LOL.
I used to be a big modder. I've been around since the start of the XDA days (back when the XDA was actually out). Back then, you were modding to add features and functionality. Nowadays, there's not much reason to mod, as Android phones pretty much come with everything you would have modded to get.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I used to be a big modder. I've been around since the start of the XDA days (back when the XDA was actually out). Back then, you were modding to add features and functionality. Nowadays, there's not much reason to mod, as Android phones pretty much come with everything you would have modded to get.

Completely agree. Now rooting and custom roms just seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Back in the Nexus days I would be installing custom kernels, custom roms and getting rid of touch wiz. 😂 Lol

Now you void your warranty or brick your device and there really isn't any reason to do so.

Also phones were a lot cheaper then and now you are risking a lot more. IMHO.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Completely agree. Now rooting and custom roms just seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Back in the Nexus days I would be installing custom kernels, custom roms and getting rid of touch wiz. 😂 Lol

Now you void your warranty or brick your device and there really isn't any reason to do so.

Also phones were a lot cheaper then and now you are risking a lot more. IMHO.
Heavy on the phones were a lot cheaper! $450 and you were in there. Now...not so much. Back then, it was fun to add features and remove things you didn't want there. But it seems Google and the OEM's paid attention, an made a lot of the things we were doing, a part of the OS. So now, there simply isn't a lot to be gained by tinkering. Besides, I'm not doing anything that's going to make tap to pay possibly stop functioning because of breaching the phone.

Apr 12, 2023
I think less android users become bored with their phones compared to iPhone users because you can always change the android phone. You always have something fresh on your screen. Apple has the same grid icon based UI since the iPhone 1. I am bored AF with my iPhones. I cannot move until I get a reliable iMessage client on my PC and Android. I will be complete iPhone free then! I have owned 4 iphones since my last non apple phone, my Lumia 1020. Can't wait to get something new and fresh like a duo 2, or 23 ultra.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
The constant changing of notification in every new Android versions also annoys me.

Signs of aging?
Don’t think so.

Change is normal, but change every single new version is stupid.

Imagine, you just used to how things work, and oops, it’s changed again. Time to adjust to it once again.

Imagine if controls in your car changed every few months. Imagine if controls on your home appliances changed every few months, and so on. You get the idea.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Android to me is a toy. I like playing with it but when it comes to something I need and rely on its Apple all the way. And what do all these people do that customize their phones. Do they just stare at their home screens. When I use a smartphone I am using an app 99.9% of the time and apps on the iPhone are still much better than the Android versions. Even googles apps are better on the iPhone. Every once and awhile I buy a Pixel and after using it for a few weeks I realize there is nothing important it offers that my iPhone does not but there are things I miss from my iPhone such as iMessage, Find My, the ecosystem and how it works with other Apple products. And unlike Google, Apple backs up their products, offers real support and doesn’t cancel services on a whim. Plus there are things like Advanced Data Protection for E2E encrypting. Try that with Google/Android…lol. Think about how you use your phone and what is important to you and you will probably realized the IPhone is just a better option.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
No way!

I was an iPhone user from 3 to 8 Plus and do not miss anything about iOS. I still use Mac Studio and 13" MBP just have no use for the "ecosystem", Apple Music is horrid, ...

Switched initially to Pixel 4a when A11 came out and then OnePlus 8T. Prior releases of Android had gaps and apps lacked polish imo

Different story since A11. I've run all public releases of OnePlus OOS12 and OOS13 as they've become available with no issues. The camera and app integration is not quite as good as Pixel, otherwise far better than the non-Pro version.

5g works great (T-Mobile), Warp charge is awesome, screen too, 12 GB RAM and 256 GB storage.

If Pixel 8 jettisons the embarrassingly crappy (Samsung!) radios, gets some modern charging going on and a better quality display on the non-Pro model, I might consider one when they go on sale for $150 or more discount.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Don’t think so.

Imagine, you just used to how things work, and oops, it’s changed again. Time to adjust to it once again.

Imagine if controls in your car changed every few months. Imagine if controls on your home appliances changed every few months, and so on. You get the idea.
I could use the opposite argument for iOS. Literally nothing new in years but borrowed features from Android like Widgets, App shelf, and more.

I have not noticed this jarring change in the way notifications work in Android for several versions. I have been using Android for at least 15 years and for the last several iteration of Android notifications work the same. iOS notifications are terrible and annoying.

Oh and try to back a page on iOS. Got to find the back arrow. Even if you scrolled down a lot it is still way up at the top. On Android just swipe from one side or the other. So much more intuitive.

I will agree that sometimes Google will go to far in introducing a new feature but now it is more just refinements than major re-designs to the overall UI.

Also change is a constant in the tech world. It keeps your mind fresh when you learn new things rather than stagnate on the same concept. It shows apathy in regards to design not leadership. Sometimes trying new things fails but you never know until you implement it.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Android to me is a toy. I like playing with it but when it comes to something I need and rely on its Apple all the way. And what do all these people do that customize their phones. Do they just stare at their home screens. When I use a smartphone I am using an app 99.9% of the time and apps on the iPhone are still much better than the Android versions. Even googles apps are better on the iPhone. Every once and awhile I buy a Pixel and after using it for a few weeks I realize there is nothing important it offers that my iPhone does not but there are things I miss from my iPhone such as iMessage, Find My, the ecosystem and how it works with other Apple products. And unlike Google, Apple backs up their products, offers real support and doesn’t cancel services on a whim. Plus there are things like Advanced Data Protection for E2E encrypting. Try that with Google/Android…lol. Think about how you use your phone and what is important to you and you will probably realized the IPhone is just a better option.

This is almost the standard attitude from most iPhone users. It is so condescending and irrelevant.

I think that most of the people with this attitude are dabblers, who are curious and dip their feet in the water but never fully dive in. They try Android for a little bit and as soon as something doesn't work the way they are used to or as soon as they have a problem or miss iMessages they come running back to iPhone. They use the problems they encounter as their excuse as to why Android is a "toy" or inferior to iOS without ever going a little further past the pain points of a transition.

Sure, if you have a bunch of Apple devices and friends and family using iPhones then switching to Android is not going to be easy or without some sacrifice. For a lot of people who are in this position the switch is not worth it but it is not because Android is a toy or the apps suck. It is because there are too many things that they miss being so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. If they could still use all the apps exclusive to iPhone on an Android phone I don't think most would have the same opinion. Apple knows this and that is why they use it to their advantage to discourage people from switching.

All the complaints about privacy, or encryption are non arguments in today's tech environment. Apple does have some advantages here but they are small comparatively speaking.

Now if you like the Apple ecosystem and have a lot of Apple products then there is nothing wrong with preferring what you have become accustomed to but to say that Android is a toy and the apps are poor quality just isn't true. You can do more with an Android phone than you can on an iPhone. Reliability is just as good and with recent iOS releases is actually more stable which is something I never thought I would say.

And when I use my phone which is probably a lot more than I should I really do appreciate the customization and design elements in Android much more than iOS. Using a Pixel 7 Pro or a Samsung s23 ultra the level of detail and refinement of the UI is pretty amazing. I will agree that when Apple has it's polish shining it is pretty aestheticly beautiful. But just polish alone without true innovation is just a pretty face with no substance underneath.

A Pixel has features that I use as a phone that makes my phone better. The call screening, better speech to text, much better Android Assistant than Siri that allows me to use the phone hands free and do so much more than I can on an iPhone. The features like photo unblur are really useful. And I could go on.

iPhones are great but they are not better than Android phones like Samsung s23u or Pixel 7 Pro. These phones are seriously capable and useful.

It is interesting to me that you rarely hear Android users saying such dismissive remarks like iOS is a toy or iOS sucks. They will say they prefer Android and why but generally don't have some superior attitude that whatever they are using is just better because it is an iPhone.

Apr 12, 2023
Don’t think so.

this is exactly what happens in the app dock in iOS. You get used to the placement of the categories, and boom, for no reason, they move. Then you are hunting around for your apps again. I like a clean phone. I have my home page with the apps I use constantly, then I use the app dock for everything else. I got to look for an app that was in one place and the folder had moved sides and down 3 columns. That's one thing I hope apple fixed in 17.

Reactions: robvalentine
Apr 12, 2023
This is almost the standard attitude from most iPhone users. It is so condescending and irrelevant.

I think that most of the people with this attitude are dabblers, who are curious and dip their feet in the water but never fully dive in. They try Android for a little bit and as soon as something doesn't work the way they are used to or as soon as they have a problem or miss iMessages they come running back to iPhone. They use the problems they encounter as their excuse as to why Android is a "toy" or inferior to iOS without ever going a little further past the pain points of a transition.

Sure, if you have a bunch of Apple devices and friends and family using iPhones then switching to Android is not going to be easy or without some sacrifice. For a lot of people who are in this position the switch is not worth it but it is not because Android is a toy or the apps suck. It is because there are too many things that they miss being so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. If they could still use all the apps exclusive to iPhone on an Android phone I don't think most would have the same opinion. Apple knows this and that is why they use it to their advantage to discourage people from switching.

All the complaints about privacy, or encryption are non arguments in today's tech environment. Apple does have some advantages here but they are small comparatively speaking.

Now if you like the Apple ecosystem and have a lot of Apple products then there is nothing wrong with preferring what you have become accustomed to but to say that Android is a toy and the apps are poor quality just isn't true. You can do more with an Android phone than you can on an iPhone. Reliability is just as good and with recent iOS releases is actually more stable which is something I never thought I would say.

And when I use my phone which is probably a lot more than I should I really do appreciate the customization and design elements in Android much more than iOS. Using a Pixel 7 Pro or a Samsung s23 ultra the level of detail and refinement of the UI is pretty amazing. I will agree that when Apple has it's polish shining it is pretty aestheticly beautiful. But just polish alone without true innovation is just a pretty face with no substance underneath.

A Pixel has features that I use as a phone that makes my phone better. The call screening, better speech to text, much better Android Assistant than Siri that allows me to use the phone hands free and do so much more than I can on an iPhone. The features like photo unblur are really useful. And I could go on.

iPhones are great but they are not better than Android phones like Samsung s23u or Pixel 7 Pro. These phones are seriously capable and useful.

It is interesting to me that you rarely hear Android users saying such dismissive remarks like iOS is a toy or iOS sucks. They will say they prefer Android and why but generally don't have some superior attitude that whatever they are using is just better because it is an iPhone.
I do love how apple uses "security and privacy" as claims to fame. They are no better than anyone else, it's just they can hide it because of how hard it is to see code from iOS. they take and use just as much data as google, MS, etc. I am on iPhone right now because of everyone in my household. imessage and facetime. Once sunbird or beeper is released publicly, I am probably going to be moving to a couple of android phones. I will always have an iPhone but probably a few generations back now and start buying the current androids.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I do love how apple uses "security and privacy" as claims to fame. They are no better than anyone else, it's just they can hide it because of how hard it is to see code from iOS. they take and use just as much data as google, MS, etc. I am on iPhone right now because of everyone in my household. imessage and facetime. Once sunbird or beeper is released publicly, I am probably going to be moving to a couple of android phones. I will always have an iPhone but probably a few generations back now and start buying the current androids.
Then how do you explain the addition of e2ee on user accounts? I guarantee Android will never have that. Google and Sammy make too much money off of user data.

Edited to add: don’t get me wrong, I would love to switch from iOS, but Android is so bad on user security. I would also love Windows to stop hoovering up data as well.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Signs of aging? 😂
Lol. Story of my life. I used to customize the hell out my phone when I was younger, now I just need everything to work. Even when I have Android phones, I keep everything stock even though I have the ability to customize it.

Apr 12, 2023
Then how do you explain the addition of e2ee on user accounts? I guarantee Android will never have that. Google and Sammy make too much money off of user data.

Edited to add: don’t get me wrong, I would love to switch from iOS, but Android is so bad on user security. I would also love Windows to stop hoovering up data as well.
Again, Apple has been proven to "hoover" just as much as others. It's just done in shady under the covers ways. At least you know whats being collected with google and others. I use my ipad and iPhone constantly. But I don't think apple is any better than the others at security, privacy etc. If you do, you are mistaken.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Again, Apple has been proven to "hoover" just as much as others. It's just done in shady under the covers ways. At least you know whats being collected with google and others. I use my ipad and iPhone constantly. But I don't think apple is any better than the others at security, privacy etc. If you do, you are mistaken.
So you can't in other words. That is the whole point of "Advanced Data Protection". Again, I would LOVE to switch (and have already moved on from Mac to Windows) but Google is pretty honest about the lack of privacy. Look at what Apple says about ADP and what Google and Sammy say about user data. It's pretty stark.

Look it's fine to not care about privacy. I know gobs of people that use Chrome over FF for instance. I am just not one of them. I just believe that if you are going with a nondisconfirmable position, then I can ignore until you have more substantial evidence.

Here's an example of the difference between the two companies (and this was before ADP): https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...pro-max-ipad-and-macbook-pro/?sh=1a4d86564d08

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023
So you can't in other words. That is the whole point of "Advanced Data Protection". Again, I would LOVE to switch (and have already moved on from Mac to Windows) but Google is pretty honest about the lack of privacy. Look at what Apple says about ADP and what Google and Sammy say about user data. It's pretty stark.

Look it's fine to not care about privacy. I know gobs of people that use Chrome over FF for instance. I am just not one of them. I just believe that if you are going with a nondisconfirmable position, then I can ignore until you have more substantial evidence.

Here's an example of the difference between the two companies (and this was before ADP): https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...pro-max-ipad-and-macbook-pro/?sh=1a4d86564d08
Give me a break....They don't care no more than any other company, you are just an ATM. I don't want to turn this thread into a pissing match. But facts are facts. Apple does not care about privacy or data collection, or selling said data no more than google , microsoft etc. They just don't. They use it as a way to "sucker" in uneducated consumers who are scared of the boogeyman. Again, to all of these companies, the user and consumer are just ATMs to them. They see $$$$$$$ not a person.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

If you are that concerned about privacy, add Google Advance Protection Program to your account. Don't kid yourself that they won't continue snarfing and reselling data (same as Apple does) though, hopefully to a lesser extent and definitely with lower odds of account takeover shenanigans.

I disabled the default browser on my mobile. Firefox remains a not so awesome choice on macOS (copy paste is jacked up like always, fewer all out lockups and crashes though still happens with far too much frequency) and I've never installed it on a mobile device.

On my mobile Duckduckgo browser is my primary, then SRWare Iron for the occasional streaming app/service (Southwest Airlines for example) or web site that renders whacko garbage and just does not work.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If you are that concerned about privacy, add Google Advance Protection Program to your account. Don't kid yourself that they won't continue snarfing and reselling data (same as Apple does) though, hopefully to a lesser extent and definitely with lower odds of account takeover shenanigans.

I disabled the default browser on my mobile. Firefox remains a not so awesome choice on macOS (copy paste is jacked up like always, fewer all out lockups and crashes though still happens with far too much frequency) and I've never installed it on a mobile device.

On my mobile Duckduckgo browser is my primary, then SRWare Iron for the occasional streaming app/service (Southwest Airlines for example) or web site that renders whacko garbage and just does not work.
Actually I read into that and it isn’t at all the same as Advanced Data Protection. Again, if we take what the companies themselves are saying and avoid conspiracy theories, Apple is the only one with e2ee on user data. Google’s form allows greater security from scammers but says nothing about actual encrypting of anything with regard to google.

Apr 12, 2023
Actually I read into that and it isn’t at all the same as Advanced Data Protection. Again, if we take what the companies themselves are saying and avoid conspiracy theories, Apple is the only one with e2ee on user data. Google’s form allows greater security from scammers but says nothing about actual encrypting of anything with regard to google.
The issue there is believing what the companies are telling you. They are just politicians who take your money, but you get something in return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.