Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The issue there is believing what the companies are telling you. They are just politicians who take your money, but you get something in return.
I am not going to debate it with you because it is a matter of nothing real to debate. I am telling you I go by what is stated—one encrypts user data so they can’t even get to it and the other states it doesn’t. The rest is irrelevant to the conversation as you can’t prove it. So you just fall behind the ole’ conspiracy theory stuff.

Apr 12, 2023
NO conspiracy. It has been proven time and time again. REAL news and tech sites have reported no wacky conspiracy sites/farcebook pages. If you choose not to believe it that's your choice.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Just one example from a trusted news source...one of many.

Riiiiiight.

Here’s an actual expert:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Actually I read into that and it isn’t at all the same as Advanced Data Protection. Again, if we take what the companies themselves are saying and avoid conspiracy theories, Apple is the only one with e2ee on user data. Google’s form allows greater security from scammers but says nothing about actual encrypting of anything with regard to google.
I think any encryption can be compromised. Look how many times icloud information has been leaked by people who didn't want that information to get out.

If you are on any device connected to the internet then your data on the device is at risk. Cellular communication is no different. Texts and calls can be intercepted and decrypted no matter the platform.

Samsung Galaxy devices also use Knox which is another layer of security.

Bottom line is if someone wants your information it is very hard to keep it private on any modern devices.

It would be good to store data that is sensitive on a computer that is not connected to the internet in any way and transfer files using a data cable. Make sensitive calls on a land line and never send sensitive information via text or email.

Otherwise you have to have an expectation that the data you have or send could be compromised.

Reactions: roman.stapunov

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think any encryption can be compromised. Look how many times icloud information has been leaked by people who didn't want that information to get out.

If you are on any device connected to the internet then your data on the device is at risk. Cellular communication is no different. Texts and calls can be intercepted and decrypted no matter the platform.

Bottom line is if someone wants your information it is very hard to keep it private on any modern devices.

It would be good to store data that is sensitive on a computer that is not connected to the internet in any way and transfer files using a data cable. Make sensitive calls on a land line and never send sensitive information via text or email.

Otherwise you have to have an expectation that the data you have or send could be compromised.

This is an interesting article from 2016. I wonder if it still applies today.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

icloud wasn't compromised by getting through the encryption, it was simple password cracking. Knox is also not near the same as Advanced Data Protection.

I mean, you are right to a degree, if something isn't on the internet to begin with, it is definitely secure. That said, e2ee is pretty secure, and not even Apple can decrypt the data if it has been properly encrypted with Advanced Data Protection.

Apr 12, 2023
Riiiiiight.

Here’s an actual expert:

EFF.com? speaking of conspiracy theories etc. Anyhoo...I will bow out now. You cannot reason with fanboys.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I ask this question because I don't know the answer. What privacy issues (be specific) have you that are different on an Android phone compared to a iPhone? I change between the two and am just wondering what data (if any) of mine is being passed between undesirables.

Truthfully, if someone gets my e mail or the like, I'm not bothered and I'm like the billions of other Android users in this world. I see many iPhone users clutching their pearls when it comes to "big bad Google" and using lots of stock words of why they don't go anywhere near it, they are safe in their iOS bubble, thank goodness for that, must be so good to be so safe. If that's what you think, you are better off going with Google and being careful than the blissful unawareness of being in the Apple super fortress of secrecy that is just as compromised as other systems.

Do you know, this is hardly touched upon by normal phone users not on forums like this, they just use their phones, like I do. Granted, if you use your phone for work and don't want to contribute to industry espionage then use what you think is safest, its probably not as cut and dried as you think though.

I see some here that are so worried about security that they would be better off ditching all their phones and computers and then just write a letter.

The argument has moved on from which is a secure platform to those writing on here trying to prove their knowledge over others.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023
I ask this question because I don't know the answer. What privacy issues (be specific) have you that are different on an Android phone compared to a iPhone? I change between the two and am just wondering what data (if any) of mine is being passed between undesirables.

Truthfully, if someone gets my e mail or the like, I'm not bothered and I'm like the billions of other Android users in this world. I see many iPhone users clutching their pearls when it comes to "big bad Google" and using lots of stock words of why they don't go anywhere near it, they are safe in their iOS bubble, thank goodness for that, must be so good to be so safe. If that's what you think, you are better off going with Google and being careful than the blissful unawareness of being in the Apple super fortress of secrecy that is just as compromised as other systems.

Do you know, this is hardly touched upon by normal phone users not on forums like this, they just use their phones, like I do. Granted, if you use your phone for work and don't want to contribute to industry espionage then use what you think is safest, its probably not as cut and dried as you think though.

I see some here that are so worried about security that they would be better off ditching all their phones and computers and then just write a letter.

The argument has moved on from which is a secure platform to those writing on here trying to prove their knowledge over others.
I have no privacy issues with either platform. I use iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and have no issues with either system or platform. What I have issue with is people claiming one is "safer" than the other, or that one company has your interests at heart over others. that's just not true, They are all the same. They are in it to make money however they can. The companies (apple mostly) spin it as "we care about your privacy" but in truth, they are just as bad as the rest. They can post non sensical articles from unknown sites claiming this to be true....however, real media news and tech sites actually show the opposite is true.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have no privacy issues with either platform. I use iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and have no issues with either system or platform. What I have issue with is people claiming one is "safer" than the other, or that one company has your interests at heart over others. that's just not true, They are all the same. They are in it to make money however they can. The companies (apple mostly) spin it as "we care about your privacy" but in truth, they are just as bad as the rest. They can post non sensical articles from unknown sites claiming this to be true....however, real media news and tech sites actually show the opposite is true.
I agree. You said in fewer words what I was slanting at in my post my friend.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Having used both, iOS is more exciting because it requires jumping through more hoops, has less intelligence and is overly restrictive without jailbreaking.

Don't forget gesture navigation. To go back just swipe left or right while on iOS you have to find the back arrow. Such a pain when you have scrolled down a long page.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The question was, do you get bored with Android? My answer again is no. Apps are updated individually all the time. I dont need to go into a what iOS does or doesnt do. I dont care. For me , it doesnt do enough and Siri stinks.

I dont get missing iMessage as a reason for missing an entire OS but whatever floats their boat. Its a message app and there are plenty to try on Android if you get bored with one.

Apr 12, 2023
The question was, do you get bored with Android? My answer again is no. Apps are updated individually all the time. I dont need to go into a what iOS does or doesnt do. I dont care. For me , it doesnt do enough and Siri stinks.

I dont get missing iMessage as a reason for missing an entire OS but whatever floats their boat. Its a message app and there are plenty to try on Android if you get bored with one.
IMessage and FaceTime are the only reasons I keep an iPhone. My two sons, one of which who has autism only has Apple devices, so I want to be able to contact them at any time. iMessage allows me to do this. Once sunbird or beeper is made public, I will be free to use android devices as well as my apple ones. I have no loyalties to one single platform. I enjoy all of them.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
but are there any Android fans that feel "bored" with Android and chose to jump ship to Apple?
Do I get bored with Android? No. Although I wouldn't say I'm really looking to be excited by an OS; I want my devices to be stable and well-supported (at least my 'daily drivers'). That kept me with Apple for a long time. But as soon as Samsung and Google started committing to 5 years of security updates it was the right time for me to switch back to Android. Apple of course offers even longer support, but 5 years is enough for me. I also value the greater variety of choice you get when the OS is licensed to multiple OEMs, which is ultimately the main reason I lean more to Android than to Apple.

Apr 12, 2023
Do I get bored with Android? No. Although I wouldn't say I'm really looking to be excited by an OS; I want my devices to be stable and well-supported (at least my 'daily drivers'). That kept me with Apple for a long time. But as soon as Samsung and Google started committing to 5 years of security updates it was the right time for me to switch back to Android. Apple of course offers even longer support, but 5 years is enough for me. I also value the greater variety of choice you get when the OS is licensed to multiple OEMs, which is ultimately the main reason I lean more to Android than to Apple.
Agreed, the sheer amount of different devices on android is awesome. You can get multiple different phones and tablets that do different things. I am a fan of Motorola’s new offerings. They look a bit bland but they represent great value for the money!

Reactions: gusmula

Athyyra

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
I wouldn't say I'm bored w/ Android, but I'm curious about multiple devices in the Apple ecosystem. That and the fact that my mom is on iPhone and I want to be able to Facetime w/ her if I'm on the go. I can Facetime w/ her on my macbook, but sometimes I don't have that with me. I plan on, at some point, also getting a mac mini to use as my daily driver when I'm working (I work from home) and eventually plan on getting an iPad so I would like to explore the apple ecosystem. I've been using android for years, and it's the only system I've ever used on a phone, but my reasons for switching aren't boredom. My wife thinks I won't like iPhone (that's what she uses) because of the keyboard (I'm quite comfortable w/ Swype), but I've read that there are iPhone apps that can be installed that have Swype capability. She's probably not wrong, though, where that's concerned, I hate texting in general, and having to use 2 hands to do it efficiently doesn't appeal to me. I'm waiting until I pay off my S22+ before switching, so I have a few months before I will. Hopefully I don't regret it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't say I'm bored w/ Android, but I'm curious about multiple devices in the Apple ecosystem. That and the fact that my mom is on iPhone and I want to be able to Facetime w/ her if I'm on the go. I can Facetime w/ her on my macbook, but sometimes I don't have that with me. I plan on, at some point, also getting a mac mini to use as my daily driver when I'm working (I work from home) and eventually plan on getting an iPad so I would like to explore the apple ecosystem. I've been using android for years, and it's the only system I've ever used on a phone, but my reasons for switching aren't boredom. My wife thinks I won't like iPhone (that's what she uses) because of the keyboard (I'm quite comfortable w/ Swype), but I've read that there are iPhone apps that can be installed that have Swype capability. She's probably not wrong, though, where that's concerned, I hate texting in general, and having to use 2 hands to do it efficiently doesn't appeal to me. I'm waiting until I pay off my S22+ before switching, so I have a few months before I will. Hopefully I don't regret it.
There are apps you and your Mom can get to FaceTime. Facebook is one of them if she is on it. Duo is another, Zoom. Google Meet I think and I've read Telegram also i but never used it.

I also don't know if they are all free to do,that. I've FaceTimed/video called like a half dozen times ever on Facebook and Hangouts that isn't in use any longer. Getting her to install an app is easier than buying a phone.

Athyyra

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
There are apps you and your Mom can get to FaceTime. Facebook is one of them if she is on it. Duo is another, Zoom. Google Meet I think and I've read Telegram also i but never used it.

I also don't know if they are all free to do,that. I've FaceTimed/video called like a half dozen times ever on Facebook and Hangouts that isn't in use any longer. Getting her to install an app is easier than buying a phone.
Yeah I've thought about all of that, but....She knows how to use facetime and I don't want to rock the boat too much. Plus, I'm probably one of the very few in my family that has android rather than iSomething so I'm kind of the oddball. And where I'm just curious about the whole Apple ecosystem, I figured I would go ahead and switch at least for 1 iteration. After that, if I don't like it, I can always switch back. So there's that.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nope. Android for me is way better. I've got the S23 Ultra and have just ordered the Tab S9. iOS sucks.☺️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.