Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I have called three stores, and they told me if they were selling it tomorrow, the shipment would have arrived already, and they haven't received a shipment. I find this extremely odd. Especially when they sold the ipad 3 at midnight.

Hell, most of them hadn't even heard of it, but did go in the back to check. I guess for me it is Target, Best buy or nothing, since I don't have an Apple store close by. :(

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I'm not sure about Wally World, but we do know that Best Buy will have them for sure. It's also safe to assume Target will as well.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I'm not sure about Wally World, but we do know that Best Buy will have them for sure. It's also safe to assume Target will as well.

I just worried I won't get there in time. I can get there around opening, but can't line up for hours.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
It seems most people on these forums think the Mini won't sell out, which I agree with. It'll be a big seller, I just don't think it'll sell out on launch day. Worse case if BB doesn't have one, you can check Wal Mart and Target. I wouldn't trust a Wal Mart or Target employee if they knew an item was in stock or available for purchase.

Another forum member has already confirmed a Wal Mart has some, so I'd bet most of them will.

ptted

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I called my local walmart and got the same answer as the OP. Really don't want to have to wait until 8am since I am supposed to be going out of town tomorrow.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I called my local walmart and got the same answer as the OP. Really don't want to have to wait until 8am since I am supposed to be going out of town tomorrow.

Yeah, I have to work 40 hours this weekend :(. I was hoping to get it tonight and sleep in tomorrow.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
If anyone happens to hear anything about their Walmart selling them at midnight, please share it with this thread. :)

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
The Target near me (schaumburg, il) has a sign up saying that they will have the mini at 8am, also pointing out that the $40 gift card promotion does not apply :)

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I wish my local Walmart stores would hire people who actually competent in electronics to work the electronic department. It gets old

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I wish my local Walmart stores would hire people who actually component in electronics to work the electronic department. It gets old

I can promise you that your local Wal Mart isn't the only one that is incompetent. I haven't trusted mine in years. :)

kris5124

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I called 3 different Walmarts and the first one didn't know what I was talking about and the other 2 said they wouldn't be getting them in for a while.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I called 3 different Walmarts and the first one didn't know what I was talking about and the other 2 said they wouldn't be getting them in for a while.

Lol it just keeps getting better. One Walmart I called kept referring to it as the "iPod mini" and neither her nor her co-workers had any idea what the hell I was talking about.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I can't find a single walmart in South Florida that has the iPad mini and is selling it at midnight or 8am.

noripwr

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Having worked at the electronics section of a major chain retail store (*cough cough can I help you find something?*), I remember management gave clear instructions to tell customers over the phone along the lines of "We don't know" or "We sold out of the last one but we might get some tomorrow morning"

Sometimes you bump into someone that's not supposed to be in electronics but he's covering another's break, and they'll goof and tell you the truth. Other times you'll bump into a person that does work in electronics and they're just fed up with the so many calls per hour.

Reasons I can think of as to why we don't give clear cut information:
- to try to get the customer to come to the store to physically check, which might make customer purchase some items along the way out.
- to prevent resellers from coming over and purchasing all the stock

edit: just wanted to say sometimes it was really annoying when a customer came by to purchase a lot of things (and in our minds we're thinking *Yes! attachments and sales!*), then they hit us with the reseller # and their tax-free pay cards. grr.

Wolfmore

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
I've 5 Walmart furthest being 30 mins away. I called them around 6pm central. 3 said they don't have any I figure the manager has the package under wrap. One said yes but till 8am and said will sell at midnight.

Now the one that said would sell at midnight has told me they received email from corporate saying not to sell till 8am :(

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Having worked at the electronics section of a major chain retail store (*cough cough can I help you find something?*), I remember management gave clear instructions to tell customers over the phone along the lines of "We don't know" or "We sold out of the last one but we might get some tomorrow morning"

Sometimes you bump into someone that's not supposed to be in electronics but he's covering another's break, and they'll goof and tell you the truth. Other times you'll bump into a person that does work in electronics and they're just fed up with the so many calls per hour.

Reasons I can think of as to why we don't give clear cut information:
- to try to get the customer to come to the store to physically check, which might make customer purchase some items along the way out.
- to prevent resellers from coming over and purchasing all the stock

edit: just wanted to say sometimes it was really annoying when a customer came by to purchase a lot of things (and in our minds we're thinking *Yes! attachments and sales!*), then they hit us with the reseller # and their tax-free pay cards. grr.

I don't imagine you would care and I know there are some like you (really don't mean to insult). But you basically worked customer service and treated people wrong who interacted with customer service.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
My nearest Walmart opens at 7am...will they wait until 8am to sell the mini? Or will they sell it at 7am? Anyone have any previous experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.