Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I never pay for AppleCare or any extra warranty bc Amex extends the warranty. But I am contemplating it for AVP bc the sales person told me breakage is not covered under the standard warranty. And it’s a very expensive fix.
what is everyone doing?
Thx

Reactions: G5isAlive

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Compare it to a car. Cars are 4 year 50k mile warranty industry standard.

The fact that Apple cannot include 3 years of coverage standard in the price ALL their products is ridiculous in 2024.

AppleCare just adds to the Apple Tax. Company should be ashamed of themselves.

Rainerm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
SF Nay area
I agree on the three years Apple could provide for hardware issues.
BUT, Apple care is also for accidents, meaning when I damage the item.
No factory warranty covers damages that originated from outside influence.

Holding it by the light seal is a problem. Easy to do and the damn thing goes down.

Albeit 500 for two years is way too much.
My MacBook Pro M1 Max was pretty much the same price as the AVP and is a mobile device also. Three years for 350 I believe

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
It's a real shame that consumers let Apple "normalize" the concept of paying even MORE money for what should be included in terms of support on something this expensive

(true of most all Apple products -- they are already overpriced and should include what AC+ offers, out of the box)

• Angry

Rainerm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
SF Nay area
Does anyone have an example of a company that includes accidental damage in the standard warranty for their items? That’s a whole extra industry. If one buys it with a credit card then there might be an insurance already be included. There also should be third party insurance one could buy. By no means is Apple the only way to get a pice of mind.
And I do agree that Apple care seems wildly overpriced for the AVP. my guess is that they dropped this thing many times over at Apple during development and calculated that one out of three customers will do the same. lol.

I am guessing they use the returns for those warranty claims. This way they don’t have to sell them as refurbished and kind of covering up the returns.
So far my experience with Apple since iPhone 3G is nothing but stellar. Great service and knowledgeable staff. I had one hardware failure all those years and that was my titanium Apple Watch 7? Not sure about the number. lol.
They replaced it the next day express.
I never got the care plus for anything but the titanium watch I wear every day at work (physical work) and the MacBook Pro M1 Max. Not sure about the Vision Pro since it seems so overpriced.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
For the longest time, AppleCare on Macs and iPhones and iPads was simply coverage beyond the 1 year warranty for failure and DID NOT include any sort of accidental damage coverage. Other coverages came about that did that and Apple added that sort of coverage to their plans.

Apple should cover ALL Apple products against failure for 3 years.

AND they should offer AppleCare against accidental damage at a premium. Stand by your products for 3 years and let people decide if they want to INSURE themselves from being idiot proof.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
You can get an insurance for accidential damage for a $4k item for less than $500 for two years (and you won't be paying a $299 "service fee" if anything happens either). So, no, it's a bad deal.

Disher

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2024
Yep, in my opinion all insurance is a scam. I bought it anyway, just like car, house etc.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I had a relatively poor in-store experience buying AVP, and it was capped with the AppleCare+. They asked if I wanted it - I said yes, but I usually wait until the end of the 60-day period, just to ensure I want to keep the product and to make my life easier. First they told me no, today was the only day you could buy AC+. I pushed back and showed them the website, but they then told me that, to buy AC+ after today (day of purchase), I would "definitely have to bring it back to the store to be validated." That does not seem to be true from everything else I've read but, since I was already spending $4000 and was going to buy AC+ eventually, I just acquiesced. Frustrating.

There were many other annoyances - they had no idea how the light seals worked, and they made me create a business account for my law firm, even though (a) I'm just an associate and (b) there is no discount on the product - so overall I was quite frustrated with this one. Hopefully others have a better time.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Monthly Applecare is the way to go. You might pay more than $500 outright if you use it longer, but it also means you might pay less than the $500 at any time if you end up selling it sooner.

Doesn’t seem that big of a deal for something that costs $4000

i'm the mac daddy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2019
Massachusetts
Monthly Applecare is the way to go. You might pay more than $500 outright if you use it longer, but it also means you might pay less than the $500 at any time if you end up selling it sooner.

Doesn’t seem that big of a deal for something that costs $4000
You can always cancel AppleCare and get a prorated refund. Advantage of monthly is you can extend it past the two years.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
You can always cancel AppleCare and get a prorated refund. Advantage of monthly is you can extend it past the two years.
I don’t know about VP specifically but, for other devices, you can pick up the monthly coverage after your 2-year (or whatever) block has expired. That is, you can do the “upfront” AC+ and extend it later.

Reactions: tbayrgs and TLewis

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Knock at the door so I took off the VP and headed off forgetting that the battery was in my pocket. VP crashed to the ground. Luckily no damage other than one Zeiss insert came off and the other moved to the other eye position in the VP.

This is a product that pretty much requires AppleCare in my opinion given its weight, awkwardness, and complexity.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I don’t know about VP specifically but, for other devices, you can pick up the monthly coverage after your 2-year (or whatever) block has expired. That is, you can do the “upfront” AC+ and extend it later.
I'm possibly relying on this, assuming I keep the AVP for more than 2 years (I'm definitely keeping it for now). The fixed 2-year Applecare+ is significantly cheaper than the monthly coverage. If Apple continues to allow transitioning to the monthly plan after the 2-year expires, that'll be a win. Furthermore, the fixed plan is transferable; that's a selling point should I sell it within the 2-year period.

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
This is what I’m unsure of. They probably just haven’t updated their website, but  Vision Pro isn’t yet listed as an eligible product for conversion of AC+ from fixed-term to monthly. The legal terms also say “may” allow an extension to monthly, not instilling confidence. I’m probably overthinking it, but this is what may get me to do monthly, on top of not spending $499 rn when I’ve already dropped so much for this thing + accessories.

Reactions: HDFan and G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.