Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
but  Vision Pro isn’t yet listed as an eligible product for conversion of AC+ from fixed-term to monthly.

Hmm. Would be interested in a definitive statement. At the store when I purchased it I was told that I could go to monthly at the end of the term. Saved $80.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
All insurance is a money grab. It’s based on probability else the program would cost the company a lot more if everyone was a gullible. It’s a piece of mind for 99% when 1 to 2% is the actual. I’m annoyed that they used a plastic cover over the glass which makes it more prone to scratching.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
This is what I’m unsure of. They probably just haven’t updated their website, but  Vision Pro isn’t yet listed as an eligible product for conversion of AC+ from fixed-term to monthly. The legal terms also say “may” allow an extension to monthly, not instilling confidence. I’m probably overthinking it, but this is what may get me to do monthly, on top of not spending $499 rn when I’ve already dropped so much for this thing + accessories.

Totally valid. I’d say call and ask though it seems like there’s a lot of internal confusion on product policies as well.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I did. I'm very careful, but accidents do happen and I'd hate to have my AVP broken with the only option being paying 2K+ to have it repaired (replaced more likely).

Yeah, between easily detachable light seal and wired battery, it’s very easy to drop it.

Reactions: CodeSpyder

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Absolutely. All of my AAPL products with screens have AppleCare+. Replacing screens is way, way too costly to go without AppleCare. And the AVP takes that up about 10 notches.

I personally like monthly AppleCare plans, not only because they obviate the large up-front cost but more importantly because I can keep the plan as long as I like. I have a beloved iPhone X that I use as a backup mobile phone with very inexpensive cell plan from TracFone that is *still* covered by AppleCare--I figure it is basically battery insurance at the moment but will cover the iPhone if I drop it and shatter the screen. As always YMMV.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
All insurance is a money grab.

I would word it that it is a bet. You are betting that you will use it, they are betting that you will not. In my case I have won big in the past to the tune of 100s of thousands of dollars. The VP is much more susceptible to accidents than any other Apple products. It is heavy, awkward to put on, and has an attached batter which can cause it to fall off your head if you move and forget where it is. It is also the most complex and sensitive device in consumer electronics. The servos which move the lenses, inserts, all of those sensors. Accidentally drop it and any of those components could be jarred into a position which makes the device useless. Not the case with other Apple products where there are no moving parts and everything is locked down.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I got the 2 year AppleCare for piece of mind. Expensive, but so are repairs for this device.

Agreed. My wife never gets AppleCare and guess what happened when she dropped her iPhone 13 about 3 months after getting it a couple of years ago? She was none to happy to have to go back to her iPhone X for a few months followed by shelling out the $$$ for a full repair at an Apple Store. If it’s a mobile device that I might be able to drop or an expensive device with crazy big repair costs them I’m getting AppleCare and if I don’t use it oh well, but if I need it I won’t be screwed. It’s no different than car insurance in my view. Most people don’t need it but at some point in your life you’re likely to have to lean on it and if you’re ever in a serious accident you’ll be thankful you had it.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I did get AppleCare but I debated it this time more than usual. I considered risking it to save some money, but decided peace of mind was worth it for me. I’d just squander that $500 on drinking and gambling anyway 🤭

Reactions: Disher

mal5z

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I ultimately did it for the first time ever, but the fact that it’s $299 out of pocket for any repair made it a really close call. That means if you break it and need repair, you’re actually paying about $800 instead of the full cost of the repair (which is what, like $2,000?). So that’s $500 sunk cost to potentially save $1,200. Not the greatest deal. But I figured if I broke it, I’d be sad to pay $2,000, whereas paying $500 now only makes me annoyed, but not sad. Plus, I went monthly, which Even brings down the annoyance somehow.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I wasn’t sure if I was going to keep the VP so opted to start off with monthly. For this device, think it’s a smart move.

I don’t like extended warranty programs. But when it comes to devices I can’t fix - easily - like Laptops, iPhones, and now the VP, always get it. It’s paid for itself enough times to make it worthwhile. With the VP being a new device to Apple, would rather have the protection than not.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I just had my first two “I’m glad I have AppleCare” moments yesterday. I had the device on with the battery in my pocket and took off the headset but forget the battery was in my pocket to run over and use the restroom. I’m on some meds that cause fluids to go right through me sometimes and this was one of those times.

The device flew off the couch, hit a couple of items I had on the side table by the couch knocking them on the floor along with the headset. Thankfully the device wasn’t damaged. Not even a scratch. Then like an idiot I did almost the same thing again about an hour later. I had the battery hooked up to power and for whatever reason thought it was still disconnected in my pocket so I went to leave the room with the headset on and had a repeat of the same thing. Again thankfully there was no damage go the headset and no cracks this morning when I went to put it on but both times I felt a little sick to my stomach even knowing I had AppleCare knowing that there’s a still a $300 dollar deductible and I’ve only had it for just over 3 weeks. LOL. As much as dropping another $300 for a repair in addition to what I’ve already spent would suck it pales in comparison to by the up to $2000 dollars it might have cost to fix it without AppleCare.

Reactions: fatTribble

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Knock at the door so I took off the VP and headed off forgetting that the battery was in my pocket. VP crashed to the ground. Luckily no damage other than one Zeiss insert came off and the other moved to the other eye position in the VP.

This is a product that pretty much requires AppleCare in my opinion given its weight, awkwardness, and complexity.
Watched a YouTube video where they did the same thing with the battery in their pocket, but they weren’t so lucky and ended up with a smashed front display.

Reactions: HDFan

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I just had my first two “I’m glad I have AppleCare” moments yesterday. I had the device on with the battery in my pocket and took off the headset but forget the battery was in my pocket to run over and use the restroom. I’m on some meds that cause fluids to go right through me sometimes and this was one of those times.

The device flew off the couch, hit a couple of items I had on the side table by the couch knocking them on the floor along with the headset. Thankfully the device wasn’t damaged. Not even a scratch. Then like an idiot I did almost the same thing again about an hour later. I had the battery hooked up to power and for whatever reason thought it was still disconnected in my pocket so I went to leave the room with the headset on and had a repeat of the same thing. Again thankfully there was no damage go the headset and no cracks this morning when I went to put it on but both times I felt a little sick to my stomach even knowing I had AppleCare knowing that there’s a still a $300 dollar deductible and I’ve only had it for just over 3 weeks. LOL. As much as dropping another $300 for a repair in addition to what I’ve already spent would suck it pales in comparison to by the up to $2000 dollars it might have cost to fix it without AppleCare.
If you’ve been sitting for a while it’s easy to forget about the battery. I’ve done it too, but luckily without any issues. I think after some time it will just be second nature to grab the battery when you get up or remove it from your pocket when you sit down.

Reactions: Macaholic868
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.