Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
You hear so many negative experiences with the Apple 23" ACD.

I wanted to get a sense of what has been the experience of anyone who has purchased one of these displays in the past 30 days. I don't need opinions about the Dell, I want to know about the Apple 23" ACD.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
me too, just a bit aprehensive seeing as they are really due an update, I know they were 'updated' recently but it would be great if they came with more than 1 input! Also I'm quite keen to know whether the next revision will increase to 24" but keep the same resolution cause then the ppi will go down and I'd like to have more pixels per inch.

Also i'm assuming creating colour profiles and calibration will work ok with blue eye's/gretag colorimeters? Anyone had any experience with the 23" ACD, and colour management under XP?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
me too, just a bit aprehensive seeing as they are really due an update, I know they were 'updated' recently but it would be great if they came with more than 1 input! Also I'm quite keen to know whether the next revision will increase to 24" but keep the same resolution cause then the ppi will go down and I'd like to have more pixels per inch.

Also i'm assuming creating colour profiles and calibration will work ok with blue eye's/gretag colorimeters? Anyone had any experience with the 23" ACD, and colour management under XP?

Going for a 24" panel would also force them to drop to an inferior panel technology. No one, to my knowledge, are producing a 24" S-IPS panel.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
Thought I saw that 24" S-IPS's / AS-IPS panels are coming out soon, NEC's meant to be bring this one out this month:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/newscontent.htm#24_ips

and then there's this one:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/nec_press.htm#2690

I've seen a few reviewers and news sites saying things are about to get even cheaper and better value in the widescreen market so it's making me think maybe I should hold off although my old Lacie electron CRT is on it's last legs and I've got a few colour critical projects coming up.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I sold 2 this week. That is actually even rare for my store. We usually only sell one ACD a week. SO 2 of the same in a very short time period is good.

Kevin

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
i really needed a screen asap for work so i bought a used one on craigslist, acd 23" for $600......i do think they will be updated with isight/more features in january when apple launches iTV though.

motomullet

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
I got mine a few weeks ago. went to the apple store to get a 20 and walked out with a 23. Probably would have been a 30 if the mini could run it haha. It is an awesome monitor.

On the contrary to all the negatives on here about the ACD, I have 0 (zero) problems with mine. no pink, no retarded pixels, no dead ones, no backlight issues. Except i have to run the brightness at about 50% because its really bright, but that really isn't a negative!

only downside is the price. Got mine for 900 with the EDU discount, which is quite a bit morer than I paid for my g4 mini.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I was one of the people who got a bad monitor ... took it to the apple store.. the brightness was set high and it was still lower than the iMac next to it... they deemed it DOA.

My second one is good. There is some backlight bleeding. pretty bad in areas.. but only noticable when you have brightness up about 50% and the lights off in a dark room. Under normal usage I don't even notice.

It's not as good as I thought it would be...

The other issue is there are a ton of problems with the X1900XT + 23ACD and Bootcamp right now ... so if you're looking to install/run windows... you've been warned. I've given up trying to get XP installed... I'm just waiting for Leopard... hopefully that fixes it.. otherwise.. i'm going to be pissed off.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I was one of the people who got a bad monitor ... took it to the apple store.. the brightness was set high and it was still lower than the iMac next to it... they deemed it DOA.

My second one is good. There is some backlight bleeding. pretty bad in areas.. but only noticable when you have brightness up about 50% and the lights off in a dark room. Under normal usage I don't even notice.

It's not as good as I thought it would be...

The other issue is there are a ton of problems with the X1900XT + 23ACD and Bootcamp right now ... so if you're looking to install/run windows... you've been warned. I've given up trying to get XP installed... I'm just waiting for Leopard... hopefully that fixes it.. otherwise.. i'm going to be pissed off.

You did buy an Apple computer and not a PC. You should just be happy that they made it possible to install Windows in the first place, let alone actively improving BootCamp.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
You did buy an Apple computer and not a PC. You should just be happy that they made it possible to install Windows in the first place, let alone actively improving BootCamp.

Yes yes, well then they shouldn't be advertising that they can run windows now. Had I known it wouldn't work at all for me, I would've just built myself a new PC for gaming instead. Now I'm waiting for the POS that is Bootcamp to actually work.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Yes yes, well then they shouldn't be advertising that they can run windows now. Had I known it wouldn't work at all for me, I would've just built myself a new PC for gaming instead. Now I'm waiting for the POS that is Bootcamp to actually work.

The Mac Pro firmware update yesterday fixes this issue. Many have tried it and have installed Windows XP.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
The Mac Pro firmware update yesterday fixes this issue. Many have tried it and have installed Windows XP.

Yes. It does fix it. However bootcamp now partitions the drive wrong and XP won't install on the partition created for it. If it's not one problem it's another.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
My store still has got mine 23"ACD in backorder. They just can't get one here in the Netherlands that has the new specs. So I'm still waiting after returning an old spec'ed model (which was already perfect!!!).

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Yes. It does fix it. However bootcamp now partitions the drive wrong and XP won't install on the partition created for it. If it's not one problem it's another.

Restore the drive to its original state and try again. I just installed Windows XP on a Mac Pro w/ a 1900XT two days ago and it worked brilliantly. Boot Camp 1.1.2, and I haven't done the new firmware update yet.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Restore the drive to its original state and try again. I just installed Windows XP on a Mac Pro w/ a 1900XT two days ago and it worked brilliantly. Boot Camp 1.1.2, and I haven't done the new firmware update yet.

That was next on the list of things to do. But I'm not in the mood to reinstall a ton of stuff afterwards at this moment ;) probably in a couple days. This whole Mac Pro + Bootcamp thing has left a sour taste in my mouth...

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
It looks great, but it realy suck that you cant plug a playstation 3 in it since it has no scaler. They should be warning people about that, its like the only monitors on the market without a video scaler.

No HDCP and no Scaler means you'll have to find 400$ in order to buy a seperate scaler to plug something else than a computer in it.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
MacMini & 23"

I really really wanna know how the macbooks are with the 23' ACD's! I guess that means the Mac Minis too?
does anyone use the Macbook with one of these beasts?

Well, with the stock mini CD 1.66 "rev. B", it was kinda laggy through exposé and Front Row. Yeah, I mean not "flawless".
Then I upgraded the drive to a 7200rpm and to 2GB RAM and it's pretty good now, but you can still feel the pain of the GMA through iPhoto when you scroll. A 2.33GHz Merom could make it up I think.

But for now, it's OK, and the Mini and Display match so well!

The Mini, and in your case the MacBook would handle it quite well. The Macbook has faster CPU whereas the Mini has a faster GPU clock speed (due to power saving I suppose...).

My display is a "new" one. It has some uneven colouring, but it's definately not worth taking it back and getting stuck pixels like I had with the "old" ones I took back to the store.

Here, enjoy.

Attachments

• XP_3.jpg
    XP_3.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 124

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
I was considering getting one too, the dell is just such a better deal, but the apple looks so much better :( Decisions Decisions.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I would only get the Dell if I had a Black MacBook. Otherwise, IMHO, I can't consider it an option for me. Whiteapple, thanks for the input. Anyone out there have a MacBook running the 20"er at least? Just in general, I wanted to know how the MacBooks took to the ACDs.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I would never buy one! If you want to upgrade to a larger one, after this one fails, you will just not be able to justify it. I can upgrade to all 30" screens when I start having problems with my 23"'s. Between work and home, I have two of the older 23"'s, a newer one and two 30". I want all 30", but the others just keep working like they were new :mad: Darn Apple high quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.