Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I have lost track of this problem. Is there any news on this or recommendations on how to avoid this problem?

BlueMacawBird

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2019
Washington, D.C. USA
I have an old OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock connected to my M1 Mac Mini and have no issues with it; what "problem" are you referring to?

I also have a couple of OWC Thunderbolt 3 docks and I thought I would be putting one on my M2 Max Studio, but it turns out there is enough I/O that I don't feel the need for it right now. But I would not expect to have any issues if I did.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for reply. The problem when macs were bricked while being charged via dock.

If I'm not mistaken, that wasn't an issue with the Macs themselves, but the circuitry used in the affected docks. For whatever reason those docks did not fully support USB Power delivery, which is what the USB-C spec defines for charging devices, whether a tablet, smartphone, or laptop.

Reactions: somuchfun

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, that wasn't an issue with the Macs themselves, but the circuitry used in the affected docks. For whatever reason those docks did not fully support USB Power delivery, which is what the USB-C spec defines for charging devices, whether a tablet, smartphone, or laptop.
Apple did release an update to fix the problem. This was shortly after the release of the M1 MacBook Pro and Air. As far as I can tell, there were no further reports of damage to the charging ports after the software update. This was on Big Sur in 2020.

somuchfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
What is your computer?
MBP M1.
Anyway, I don't want to use pass through. I have an external display connected to USB-C. This Huawei monitor gives me no benefit using it via USB-C as it only powers 10w. So now I want to get a thunderbolt dock with HDMI, and I will still power my mac in an available USB-C socket. But more importantly I want a dock with ssd enclosure. So ssd + hdmi sounds like a heavy load. Won't it break anything? I'm scared.
I have tracked this issue year ago but now I dont know anything about this. What was the problem, was it fixed, etc.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
MBP M1.
Anyway, I don't want to use pass through. I have an external display connected to USB-C. This Huawei monitor gives me no benefit using it via USB-C as it only powers 10w. So now I want to get a thunderbolt dock with HDMI, and I will still power my mac in an available USB-C socket. But more importantly I want a dock with ssd enclosure. So ssd + hdmi sounds like a heavy load. Won't it break anything? I'm scared.
I have tracked this issue year ago but now I dont know anything about this. What was the problem, was it fixed, etc.
FWIW I’ve been using a Caldigit USB-C dock with passthrough charging with my original M1 MacBook Air and then a M2 MacBook Air with no problems. It’s fixed and any dock from a reputable company will be fine.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
No, for me a pro user (on an Air) who came from a computer with literally every port, I quickly adapted to just needing HDMI, and my monitor is old.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I have one of the dozens of interchangeable, inexpensive, no-name Chinese OEM USB-C docks available on Amazon that I use with my 16" MBP, including occasionally for pass-through power, with zero issues, at all. If you're really that nervous, get a Caldigit or OWC Thunderbolt dock, but just know they're wildly expensive for what you get. Not at all saying they're bad products—they're excellent products. Just overkill for all but the most top-tier users and priced to match.

Cooper27

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
My dock is an OWC 11port thunderbolt. The audio port does not work. Ive tried the TRS to TRRS adaptors the web recommends. No joy. OWC offer firmware updates that have be installed through PC/parallels format. Very boring OWC

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Since the Apple Studio Display also acts as a dock, external docks should be fine with Mac's.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009

Quote: @somuchfun

"...importantly I want a dock with ssd enclosure. So ssd + hdmi sounds like a heavy load. Won't it break anything?"

You can have anything, but you can't have everything ;)
If you want to have a dock with HDMI and an NVMe slot, then it has to be Thunderbolt 3 to achieve NVMe speeds. This only supports HDMI 4k 60fps.

If you want a higher resolution/frame rate monitor then you need a Thunderbolt 4 dock.
This only supports internal SSD data speeds of less than 1000MB/s - so will allow USB 3.2 Gen. 2 transfer rates.

But Thunderbolt 4 docks are still in their early days, and the Chinese are inventing workarounds they call 'TB 4" but don't always play well with Macs.
I don't know whether there are any TB 4 docks with SSDs inside.

USB-C docks won’t do HDMI and a SSD at better than USB 3 speeds.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have lost track of this problem. Is there any news on this or recommendations on how to avoid this problem?
The fix for this came in an early Big Sur update in 2020. It hasn’t been a problem since.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Quote: @somuchfun

"...importantly I want a dock with ssd enclosure. So ssd + hdmi sounds like a heavy load. Won't it break anything?"

You can have anything, but you can't have everything ;)
If you want to have a dock with HDMI and an NVMe slot, then it has to be Thunderbolt 3 to achieve NVMe speeds. This only supports HDMI 4k 60fps.

If you want a higher resolution/frame rate monitor then you need a Thunderbolt 4 dock.
This only supports internal SSD data speeds of less than 1000MB/s - so will allow USB 3.2 Gen. 2 transfer rates.

But Thunderbolt 4 docks are still in their early days, and the Chinese are inventing workarounds they call 'TB 4" but don't always play well with Macs.
I don't know whether there are any TB 4 docks with SSDs inside.

USB-C docks won’t do HDMI and a SSD at better than USB 3 speeds.

Sonnet has a TB4 dock with dual NVMe slots and 1500 MB/s transfers (3000 in Raid 0), and at least one other TB4 dock with NVMe support as well.

Reactions: MacPoulet

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: "Sonnet has a TB4 dock with dual NVMe slots and 1500 MB/s transfers (3000 in Raid 0), and at least one other TB4 dock with NVMe support as well."

The first has the specs of a TB3 dock with half (2 lanes) of the PCIe 3x4 bandwidth going to each NVMe SSD (<1500MB/s). It's compatible with TB4 because that's part of the TB4 spec - TB3 compatibility. So it's a TB3 dock.

The Echo 20 TB 4 Superdock has this spec on Sonnet’s webpage: 'Transfer and access data at up to 800 MB/s...'
So its as I described it in my post above.
Limited to 1 lane of PCIe 3 = <1000MB/s. Whatever NVMe SSD you put in it.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.