Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You A Switcher?

• Total voters

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
UK
So Steve said in keynote that the market for selling macs has increased by 50% due to switchers from pc's.

Who here is a switcher and who has always used apple macs?

Also what made you switch?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i have been a mac user since birth (in 1989). The first mac i would have used would probably have been the SE30. I've never considered, nor used, a Windows PC as my primary computer; I've tried to keep my workplace as mac-friendly as possible.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Don't know how to categorise myself. I "switched" to the Mac in 1996 at home after using it at Uni since 1992, but it was only when OSX 10.1 came out that I started using the Mac for both work and personal stuff. I still use Windows and Linux a lot, although both the computers I own are Macs and I see no reason to change that.

So technically yes I'm a switcher, but from a lot longer ago than most would use the term for.

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Non of the above really... I've had a Mac since 2004 but I wanted one for a long time before that I just couldn't afford one... I did use them at college though if that counts. Then of course was my beloved A1200! ;)

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
thought there should have been a fourth option: yes, i primarily use my mac, but still use my pc for some tasks.

i've been using a mac for three weeks, and it's been better than a windows computer. no stupid crashing or having to be a nerd to figure out how things work. they just do. windows expects you to learn everything, while the macs know about you. of course you can learn more about them, but that's deeper in.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I ordered my first, and only, Mac (an iMac) on the 13th of October 2005, and officially 'switched' when it arrived on the 1st of November 2005.

And I'm not going back. :D

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
my first mac is this white macbook i'm posting from. I also own a Dell desktop machine, but will be replacing it with a mac desktop sometime over the next year. I switched from Windows because not only do I own stock in Apple, but I heard good things about the OS, and recalled all the headaches and hoops I've jumped though in trying to deal with windoze.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
well, i switched, but still use my PC for HoMM3, and i can't say i "recently" discovered macs. know it for a long time, have been using G3 OS9 for a month 2 years ago.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I just switched after wanting to for about a year. For the last few years or so, I had a PC and I've learned almost everything there is to know about Windows. So many things that I found out why Windows sucks so much. Someone in the "Worst Windows experience that forced you to switch" thread said a PC was a glorified tamagotchi and the damn thing always needs to be taken care of, and I couldn't agree more. My MacBook takes care of itself quite nicely. :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I switched from Windows 98 to Panther (on the day the iMac G5 came out Sept 04)

So yes i am a switcher but it has now been well over 2 years now.

Does this mean i am a switcher all my life ?

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
yes- I am a switcher. The only computer I own and primarily use is my C2D Macbook.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
I saw the imac online when i was home after a break from radiotherapy (for my brain tumor) and fell in love. i ended up putting it in for a wish with tthe make-a-wish foundation. I would switch my laptop to a macbook, but it is a school one. i am currently trying to get my parents and grand-parents to switch

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

I finally switched in September last year, after years of putting up with Windows. I also bought into their FUD hook, line, and sinker. Now that I see how good life is with the Rebel Alliance :D I wonder why it took me so long to make the switch. I also work in IT and have recommended my organization purchase Macs, but as we support a US government facility, that won't happen. The government is in bed with Dell, and the Army in love with Microsoft in general, and Active Directory in particular. I have been bringing my MacBook Pro to work, and quite a few people have been impressed with its capabilities, but none to the degree where they would seriously buy a Mac.

HawaiiMacAddict

P.S. As Victor Cajiao says in his podcast, "I've switched to the Mac, and I'm never going back." :D

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I dont know where I fall in. I've always had a PC and a Mac at the same time. Of course, I used the Mac more at first, but after a while, that iMac 233 was getting a little long in the tooth.

I almost use my Mac and PC equally (Well, I have 12 PC's, but one is my main PC) In fact, I'm posting this from my PC right now. Dell Optiplex 300 MHz, Windows 98.

Sort of switcher, sort of not.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If 1993 was recent, I recently switched.

5 machines before the Mac and 4.5 since then. (I hated my Wallstreet so much, I got rid of it quickly.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Thought there should be a "switched, but not recently".

I switched in 2002, hardly "recent". :)

Same here, although for me it was Jan 2003 (basically as soon as I figured out how to order from the US and save the "international tax").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.