Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you angry with Sony?

• No, I love my PS3, heck, I camped for one!

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Yes, $599, then $499, then $599...

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Are you kidding? First the Betamax, then Minidisc, now this...

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Too busy with the Wii/XB360 to even care...

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • PS What? (Goes back to Atari...)

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Initially I thought the PS3 was over priced, but as I watch a lot of blu-ray movies on it now, I think it wasn't too badly priced overall, considering BluRay players are still over €1200 to buy on their own here.

So no I'm not dissapointed with Sony in regards to price.

I do have other issues though that peev me off.

1. Why no OPTICAL output and HDMI output at the same time ? Having to change sound output source is an utter pain in the ass

2. Where's customisable dashboard schemes ?

3. PSN network is ok in general, BUT.... why isn't their more bloody demos. Especially when a multiformat game gets a 360 demo release, but not for PS3, even though the developers have one - Sony's vetting procedure must be laborious beaurocaracy for them to not appear.

4. What happended to the Rumble pads. I thought they were coming back and we'd hear somthing at E3 ? but no.....

But overall = happy with the hardware

--------------

I'm lucky my two 360's havent suffered the dreaded ROD just yet, and only suffer the occasional freeze once in a blue moon.

Overall = Very happy with it.

--------------

Wii.

Crappy region locked PAL piece of poop irritates the hell out of me, especailly when I see USA games getting months ahead of euro version.

For me personally - an utter diretribe of release games, and I am utterly sick to the back teeth of cube and ps2 ports.

Oh and a new mini game release = :( at this stage.

With only 4 games for the rest of the year in PAL territories I'm looking forward to (Mario Galaxy, Metroid Corruption, Battalian Wars, Super Paper Mario) the Wii for me has been the biggest dissapointment.

Overall = meh! wish I had waited a year to buy

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006

I still don't understand? Why would I be angry at Sony? Could you not just elaborate on your opening post instead of posting a dictionary definition of angry, please?

If you can't think of a reason to be angry you either haven't read the news in the past two days or you're in denial.

I've been following the news of the past two days and I can find neither a reason to be angry nor to be denial at Sony? Could you maybe elaborate on the meaning/topic of this tread?

I not trying to be deliberately vague or pissy, it's that I honestly don't understand.

:confused:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not angry as such, just uninterested. They've shown me no games to get me excited, the games I did play (GTHD, Motorstorm, Resistance) were unoriginal, bland games which only got me and a friend to get super p***ed with the lack of decent controller (this guy has had every Sony system prior too).

Course the price. £430, that's $875 or ¥106,783. Games on average costing £5-10 more than 360 games in the high street.

The arrogance of the guys in charge, sorry execs, I won't be getting a second job just for your system. Dual HDMI, 120fps, 4D BS.

Sorry. Even I got a 360, there is literally nothing worthwhile owning a PS3 for.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
again....why?

Look around. Kaz Hirai has confirmed that they've ceased production. The only reason they have 'ample supply' of the 60gb models in the first place is because they've been unable to meet their own sales expectations since launch.

This is just another stupid PR move on Sony's part. Say what you will against Nintendo and Microsoft, at least it's evident that they have some sort of plan for the long term.

raggedjimmi said:
Sorry. Even I got a 360, there is literally nothing worthwhile owning a PS3 for.

Blu-ray may be a reason for some. It was for me.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I still don't understand? Why would I be angry at Sony?:confused:

I had a Betamax. Even though it was of obvious better quality, I kept hearing from (I guess now you call them "fanboys") VHS "users" that their system was better because of titles and capacity. Then, Sony finally dropped it. It was the better, more pricey system, but not popular.

I guess the PS3 is undergoing the same misconceptions. Yes, pricey, but future proof.

Then, Sony pulls the following.

1. Was ready to buy the 20 Gig version for $499. I don't need wireless and like the all-black model. Sony makes hardly any, says, "They're not selliing well" and discontinues them. I never even saw one after launch...

2. Now there's this thing with the 60Gig for $499. No, it's not $499, yes, it is, now it's only until they run out, oh, but yes there's enough, oh and the 80Gig will be the only one at $599. (So, how many people will be mad again when the 80Gig is $499 at Christmas, surpassed by a 120 Gig and rumble controllers to compete with the XB360 Elite?)

3. Why does Sony have so many mixed comments going around? Why not just give in to the Nintendo model with only 1 available at a low price? Or why not the Microsoft model of 2 or 3 with a wide range of prices and ample supply?

So, I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on the matter. Why does Sony have to act this way? They're not the only videogame console company on the planet!

It looks like for me I'll just sit this PS3 thing out until I can get one for $399 (yes, probably another 4 year wait...)

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I'm a bit disappointed that they intend to discontinue the 60GB model.

I think it would be better for them to hold onto the 60GB and let it slowly reduce in price so that in a few years, it'll be in more people's price range.

I suppose now I'll be waiting even longer before getting one. Oh well, looks like my gaming will be on Microsoft's and Nintendo's consoles for quite a while. I'll still get 92.31% of the games I want at this time anyhow.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thanks everyone for taking part so far! I know there's been some "heat". I wish Sony can view this and take it to heart. Either people are upset about the back and forth with pricing, or are too busy with the other systems to even care...

(looks forward tonight to some much needed "Gears of War" time...)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm angry at Sony for other reasons. Laser issues on PS1 and 2, various hi-fi units costing more than competition whilst not sounding as good (that actually taught me a good lesson in buying from major brands like that), the tweeter [sp?] in a set of these bizarre Sony "cube" speakers went very soon - comparatively speaking my Wharfedales which were cheaper are still going :cool: and my Rega's just dont recognise failure. Even my Sony minidisc has had a whole plethora of mini issues, still working though.
Then it was my duty to fix all my friends Sony minidisc players when they gave up the ghost too.

Sony has been the only big electronics brand to constantly let me down. It wouldn't be bad if they were priced alongside their hardware equals like Goodmans.

High price - low quality.
My Sony Fontopia earphones and MDR-XD200 headphones work fine still.

The most reliable brands I've dealt with are Apple, Samsung and Nintendo.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I had a Betamax...

Gotcha!

This is why when a customer enquires about high-def DVD players at work I give them the honest answer of don't bother with either until there's a 'winner' - I don't think the bosses would be very happy with me, however.

As for Sony's attitude towards using proprietary technologies, it is curious. I like to think that it's maybe an 'arrogance hangover' from the 80's and early 90's when they were the 'kings' of consumer electronics. MP3? No thanks, we'll use AMTRAC. SD/MMC storage? No thanks, we'll use Memory Sticks. DVD's? No thanks, we'll use UMD's. And so on.

I believe, and I've posted this many times on these boards, that the Sony as we know it to be right now, will not, and cannot, exist when the next iteration of PlayStation is released.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I'm lucky my two 360's havent suffered the dreaded ROD just yet, and only suffer the occasional freeze once in a blue moon.

Lucky... Im on my second one... and of the 5 people I play with, ALL OF THEM have had the ring of death. I have practically figured out when the thing will fail. About every 8-12 months

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I got my PS3 for free so I'm not going to complain _BUT_ even if I had have paid full price you wouldn't see me complaining now, I love the PS3 and think it is well worth the money (Things like region free gaming, replaceable hdd, built-in wifi, Linux support, and Blu-ray make it well worth the money imho, DLNA streaming support is great to - not that I need it). I chucked a 160 GB drive in mine, so when Sony bring out a 200 GB model in another colour I may consider the need to update.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Why is this the first time I'm seeing this thread:confused:

PS3
I'm not mad at all...I got my console and ENJOYING it...all I need now is a heavenly lady with a sword creaming badly dressed fellas:)..oh and maybe some warhawk madness.

X360
Freaking thing keeps dying....I'm scared to play the thing for more than an hour but all I think about is bioshock and I'm happy again.

Wii
melting the graphics card...games are so so, VC or the other channels don't interest me but then again MP: C, No More Heros and Mario Galaxy keep my spirit alive about the system.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.