Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to upgrade to V2?

• Yes

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Not decided yet

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I bought version1 but I have not really used them as I am still working on another project. For those who use version 1, are you going to upgrade to version 2? Any big advantage in upgrading to V2?

40% off sounds temping but will they lower the price more on Black Friday?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I don't know. The main one that I use is Affinity Photo. (I bought all three of them years ago...) I bought it for Windows and Mac both (all three). I thought about upgrading just Photo--but then if you buy it for Mac and Win both it is $80. At that point, I should just get the stupid $100 universal thingie.

SIGH. And I need other things like the black friday ProWritingAid lifetime discount a lot more. I am hoping the deal is still going in a few weeks and I will upgrade then. Otherwise I will wait for another deal and just use Affinity Photo 1 for now.

I really don't mind supporting Serif. I only need this software once-in-a-while. Adobe would charge me $10 a month for the privilege. WAY more money so thank you Serif.

TTYS0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Nashville, TN
I've found myself defaulting to Pixelmator Pro. If I end up needing something that one of the Affinity apps can do that Pixelmator Pro can't, then I'll spring for the new versions.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Don't think I will. I only bought V1 to see how it stacked up against Adobe and to see if it was something that could possibly replace Adobe in the company. I don't think Affinity brings anything light years ahead of Adobe to warrant dropping an industry standard and all the benefits that bring. I think they are tremendous value for many people, but as a professional it is not something I would drop Adobe for.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
No, not updating. V2 is still missing essential print / prepress functionality that I require in my work. PhotoLine/InkScape/Krita/ClipStudio and InDesign are part of my current tool set.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
I already did. The Universal License was my motivation. Slapped V2 on my Mac and the wife's Win 10 machine. iPad apps, too.

1670095589085.png

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
About one more week to decide.

Last year I bought an iPad and MacOS versions of Photo and Designer to replace Illustrator and Photoshop. Haven't used them for more than half an hour and now V2 is out.

I think it took them about 8 years to go from V1 to V2. So we shouldn't expect perhaps less than 5 years before V3 is out?

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Already did. I've ditched CC at home, and use the Affinity apps, Pixelmator Pro and PDF Expert. Paying $50/month for CC wasn't making any kind of financial stuff for my personal use.

Reactions: Basic75

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Already did. I've ditched CC at home, and use the Affinity apps, Pixelmator Pro and PDF Expert. Paying $50/month for CC wasn't making any kind of financial stuff for my personal use.
With V2, any advantage in getting Pixelmater Pro?

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
With V2, any advantage in getting Pixelmater Pro?
I don't know about advantage. I grabbed Pixelmator because it was on sale for $20.

Where Affinity Photo is a drop-in Photoshop replacement, Pixelmator is more like a mashup of Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom. Different use cases.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Does the Windows PC version of V2 have more features than the iPad version?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

From my experience, I actually don't think the desktop versions have more features than the iPad version. UI is different and more "touch friendly" on the iPad, but feature wise they seem to be the same.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Affinity is okay, great price! But I still design with CS4 and a MacBook Pro form 2012.
I should spend more time with Affinity on the MacBook air 2020
perhaps that could help me get used to the program.

and i need to learn how to draw a line on the iPad version, every pen stoke makes a new layer.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I've already upgraded the whole suite.

I haven't used it, or v1, very much. I bought v1 to replace an aging Ps CS4 & Ai CS2 pair several years ago and the v2 upgrade made sense. The problem that I have is that my day job involves EXTENSIVE Ps with along with a small amount of LrC, Ai, & Id. I just don't do that much personal work these days as a result. I have the office's CC suite installed on my personal machines since I work at home 20-30% of the week. There is a strong temptation to use Ps for any quick personal work since my decades of experience with Ps make it the more natural choice.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

I asked the company two weeks ago. They did not reply. Asked again and they said that they could not provide such information and suggested me to ask other users! They are the developer. They should know the answer very well. Doesn't seem to be very professional.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
To buy V2, we have to go to the demo version of the app and then do an in-app purchase. In the case of purchasing the Universal License via an iPad, do we pay directly to the developer or Apple? I have some credits sitting in the Apple's app store for many months, want to use the credits first.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
I did upgrade to Designer V2 on iMac. Primarily because of the new Measure Tool and Area Tool.

I only use (vector) graphics for private use like small construction drawings (wood work) and things like floor plans. So working with precise measurements is necessary. Most of the more advanced/smart/fancy stuff is of no importance to me.

But those new tools were very disappointing. So I will keep using the best app for construction (apart from real CAD systems), Graphic on both Mac and iPad. For some things I find that Pixelmator Pro is the app to use. For some tings it is the free Vectornator. - Sometimes I use a combination of those apps. - I also have xDesign/iDesign. It can also do all the measurement stuff in a useful way. It even has a specific tool for drawing lines with measurements. - But the interface is a bit hard for me to get used to. Thus I stay with Graphic for this purpose.

So for my limited use Designer V2 was not worth it.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
My demo version has stopped working. A few more days to consider whether to upgrade or not.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Got some store credits from Apple. Tried to buy the Universal License via the iPad app store. I downloaded and installed one program. There were options for trial and purchase individual iPad version. Hiowever, I could not find an option to buy the Universal License. Anybody succeed in doing that?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I've found myself defaulting to Pixelmator Pro. If I end up needing something that one of the Affinity apps can do that Pixelmator Pro can't, then I'll spring for the new versions.

The newest version do video processing now is something new! You see see Youtube videos on people using it now!

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
The newest version do video processing now is something new! You see see Youtube videos on people using it now!

Can it do video painting or 4K animations with any length timeline?

I was thinking of buying TV Paint but it's very expensive and no Apple Silicon version yet I don't think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.