Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hey guys,

Ordered the new iPad mini 6 from work, but I have to say it’s been a bit of a disappointment.

I love, love, love the form factor, but the performance and general response is so much worse than my 2018 IPP. Didn’t expect to notice the Jelly scrolling or lack of 120hz, but this is not an enjoyable device coming from my 11” iPad Pro. Animations stutter and so does audio when typing.

Will update to iOS 15.4 and see if this helps.

Are you generally happy with the device? Or facing similar issues?

Reactions: Ahmamies

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I regularly swap between ProMotion and non-ProMotion devices so I haven't been acclimatized enough for the lack to bother me. I don't notice the jelly scrolling either. These things are hardware related so don't expect any firmware update to make things better.

I'm fairly content with the mini 6. Honestly, the one thing I wish for is more RAM.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I was until the Air 5 was launched. 80% of the time it is the right size for me, so I would still choose it over the Air all things being equal. But things are definitely not equal with the Air 5’s specs, and I can’t believe that having had it for only 5 months, there is something available with double the RAM and a Pro chip for only £90 more.

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
I love the size. To be honest, that's kind of all compared to my 12.9 iPad Pro 2021. The screen is so much better and I really miss Face ID.

Reactions: shr631

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
On the newest update, I had this weird bug yesterday where it froze, I turned off the screen, and then it wouldn't turn back on, and I tried to restart it and got it to take a screenshot instead and for whatever reason it started working fine again after that.

I always turn off reduce motion to begin with on all my devices, so can't comment on the animation stuttering. It's obvious even without them that it needs more RAM though.

There is a pattern to when this stuff happens I think, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigEp265

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Thoroughly happy with the "6." It is a spectacular product for my purposes. I even use it in place of a phone, so it is both iPad and iPhone (with buds) in one small device. Works GREAT!!!

However, my upgrade was from iPad Mini 2, so my perception is dramatically faster. I would guess going from or switching back and forth between more loaded hardware would make it seem relatively slower... much like going from MBpro to a weaker Intel Mac.

I easily see the "jelly scroll" but just don't care: the rest makes up for that IMO. If it bugs someone, just have a longer blink while scrolling and the scroll is done before it can be seen.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I’m very happy with mine. It is my go-to for browsing, content consumption and occasional note-taking. I love the form-factor.

If I have to do work on it, I bring along a universal Bluetooth mobile keyboard. I have a 12.9 Pro and MK, which mainly stays at home.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
FWIW, as the owner of both and M1 11 and 12.9 iPad Pros, I still really enjoy my Mini 6. I like it for its portability, and as a reader and casual web browsing. Is the screen as good as the 12.9 or even the 11? Of course not. But I do like having it! The other two have their use cases, but the mini is great for what it is (for me).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I use mine that way every day... as I did the Mini 2 for years before it.

Phone & texting functionality is just another app. There's lots of them in the App store right now. See VOIP apps. They generally work great.

Obviously the drawbacks are it's not as pocketable, it doesn't have iPhone-quality cameras, use buds instead of holding it up to your ear and the phone app is not deeply integrated. But otherwise, VOIP apps simulate phone app functionality well. My Mini will ring. People on the other end can't tell at all. Texting works the same. Notifications about texts or voice calls work the same.

For me, it simply comes down to this: I don't really take or make that many calls on my mobile anyway. It's much more of a mobile computer + texting device. For those purposes, a bigger screen works much better than tiny iPhone screens.

I also much prefer the economy of it. My annual cell phone bill averages out to $60 PER YEAR. I'm always connected to 5G Ultra when away from wifi but can otherwise call & text on wifi when I have that.

Is it for everyone? No. Nothing is for everyone. But it certainly works really well for me: one device to do both jobs and much less expensive too.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hey guys,

Ordered the new iPad mini 6 from work, but I have to say it’s been a bit of a disappointment.

I love, love, love the form factor, but the performance and general response is so much worse than my 2018 IPP. Didn’t expect to notice the Jelly scrolling or lack of 120hz, but this is not an enjoyable device coming from my 11” iPad Pro. Animations stutter and so does audio when typing.

Will update to iOS 15.4 and see if this helps.

Are you generally happy with the device? Or facing similar issues?
iPad Mini 6 is very capable for what it provides. I use Macs for all other purposes.

Being that I use a 16" M1 Max MBP I see absolutely no need for a 11" iPad Pro. That offers a way brighter/larger display than what even the 12.9" iPad Pro offers, and macOS is so much easier to use for multi-tasking, editing content then what I could do using latest iPadOS.

I like to use my iPad Mini 6 as a ultra compact netbook of sorts. Its perfect for casual use of web searches, content, watching various streaming hosts. The front and rear camera work well enough, I can have it fairly close in bed for late night versus something larger. I really don't want a promotion display in a darken room. Too bight. :)

ianpick

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2021
I retired my iPad mini 3 in place of the 6 last Christmas & am really happy with it. Same use cases as the 3 - reading, web browsing & watching Plex + Netflix. I got the Pencil 2 and love using it as a stylus & for quick notes.
I've even used it for Teams calls hooked up to a HDMI monitor, with an old Apple BT keyboard & MM - works a treat.
Very happy with the performance overall - haven't noticed any jelly scrolling.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I am happy with my mini 6, although I wish it has Face ID.

Everything is fast and smooth. I don't have the animation stutter issue you mentioned. With the A15 I don't think it should do that. I would say perhaps trying restoring it, but you said you just got it, so I don't know.

Reactions: jchap and LibbyLA

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I loved the size and form factor. Superbly manageable and so light. Super portable and great for notes with the pencil. And of course it's well constructed and nicely designed. In fact, I bought two of them, one in the fall and one a few weeks ago...and returned them both. Sadly. I really wanted to like it, enough so that I tried it a second time, but I just couldn't. The biggest issue for me was the UI; the OS is simply not optimized for the Mini and everything is just too tiny for me to enjoy. And while the jelly scrolling wasn't actually a buzzkill, it irked me that it was so noticeable for the money I paid. So despite my hopes, I couldn't see the value personally and wasn't happy with it. I will say two friends with the Mini 6 absolutely love theirs and my partner thought it was amazing, so it's definitely a personal thing.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I love my mini 6. I use it for reading, taking notes, iMessage (I often can’t be bothered typing on my phone), the occasional Arcade game, and as my “must quickly check something on the internet” device around the house - where it has replaced a bunch of other devices.

I’ve never had any high refresh rate devices so I don’t know what I’m missing.
Jelly Scroll exists, I can see it, but it doesn’t bother me. It’d be nicer if it wasn’t as noticeable, of course, but I don’t regret buying it.

I did notice the audio - but that seems to be limited to 3rd party apps and/or websites for me.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it. Does “ordered from work” mean you didn’t have to pay for it? Because I guess that would make it a little less of a blow, maybe.

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Returned the mini 6 for a mini 5 (had a mini 4 before) due to jelly scroll and generally underwhelming display, worse aspect ratio (too narrow) and bad iPadOS 15 home screen layout, and I found touch ID on the power button less convenient than on the home button (it’s easier to pick up and unlock the mini one-handed with the latter). I also wasn’t fond of the available colors (I’m a neutral silver/white guy). I liked the flat edges though.

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
In my opinion the iPad mini 6 is probably the best iPad I have owned, for what iPadOS can actually do it’s perfect IMO.

Jelly scrolling I very rarely notice due to me using my mini in landscape 90% of the time, as for 60hz, I am one of the lucky ones which can’t really tell the difference 😂, overall though I think it’s a near perfect device for the software it’s running.

The one thing I would change though is Apple bringing a silver option, had to go with space grey as I hated the starlight colour.

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
I use mine that way every day... as I did the Mini 2 for years before it.

Phone & texting functionality is just another app. There's lots of them in the App store right now. See VOIP apps. They generally work great.

Obviously the drawbacks are it's not as pocketable, it doesn't have iPhone-quality cameras, use buds instead of holding it up to your ear and the phone app is not deeply integrated. But otherwise, VOIP apps simulate phone app functionality well. My Mini will ring. People on the other end can't tell at all. Texting works the same. Notifications about texts or voice calls work the same.

For me, it simply comes down to this: I don't really take or make that many calls on my mobile anyway. It's much more of a mobile computer + texting device. For those purposes, a bigger screen works much better than tiny iPhone screens.

I also much prefer the economy of it. My annual cell phone bill averages out to $60 PER YEAR. I'm always connected to 5G Ultra when away from wifi but can otherwise call & text on wifi when I have that.

Is it for everyone? No. Nothing is for everyone. But it certainly works really well for me: one device to do both jobs and much less expensive too.

Does iMessage work? What about texts? I’ve had the same number for years, can I keep it?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Does iMessage work? What about texts? I’ve had the same number for years, can I keep it?

You can port your number to Google Voice. iMessage will work but only with your email address. SMS from regular numbers should work fine (e.g. friends and family) but SMS short codes (e.g. from bank for 2FA) may not. Also, 911 may be an issue.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, but as run no onna said. People iMessaging you will come through as normal. You iMessaging them will work as normal too BUT, instead of showing a phone number, it shows your email address or simply your name and image. People generally don't notice but sometimes they do. Anyone texting from any Mac, iPad or iPod Touch without an iPhone texts exactly the same way: email address used instead of phone.

Texts otherwise work fine. When I know or come to know I'm texting with an Apple person but not in iMessage, I simply switch to iMessage. When texting non-Apple people, I text using the VOIP app. Over the years, I've used Google Voice, Talkatone and Comcast Voice apps this way. All work fine for both voice and texting purposes. I really don't feel like I'm missing a thing.

911 service generally is NOT available, so that's a real tradeoff. However, I simply set up speed dialing for emergency services so I can select ONE "button" instead of having to hit three. Admittedly this is not as good as true 911. But I choose that seemingly modest tradeoff for the rest of the benefits.

A few related bonuses:

At home I still have land line phones and an alarm system and even a FAX machine to increasingly rarely need/use. There is a little box from Obihai that will link into Google Voice too. Landline connects to that box and the home phones, alarm and FAX machine use the same (or optionally a different) Google Voice number. Basically, at home, when someone calls my "cell," the Mini 6 rings along with my home phones. That all works perfectly fine and other than the one-time cost of that box, costs a whopping $0. Obihai has some add-on features for nominal amounts including a 911 service. I haven't added that but could.

Migrating my long-term phone number was easy, so that's now hosted at Google Voice and I could move it again if I ever wanted to change. I've also added a second phone number at GV and have it forwarding to my main number. That second number can be texted or called and I readily use it for business.

Last edited:

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
Yes, but as run no onna said. People iMessaging you will come through as normal. You iMessaging them will work as normal too BUT, instead of showing a phone number, it shows your email address or simply your name and image. People generally don't notice but sometimes they do. Anyone texting from any Mac, iPad or iPod Touch without an iPhone texts exactly the same way: email address used instead of phone.

Texts otherwise work fine. When I know or come to know I'm texting with an Apple person but not in iMessage, I simply switch to iMessage. When texting non-Apple people, I text using the VOIP app. Over the years, I've used Google Voice, Talkative and Comcast Voice apps this way. All work fine for both voice and texting purposes. I really don't feel like I'm missing a thing.

911 service generally is NOT available, so that's a real tradeoff. However, I simply set up speed dialing for emergency services so I can select ONE "button" instead of having to hit three. Admittedly this is not as good as true 911. But I choose that seemingly modest tradeoff for the rest of the benefits.

A few related bonuses:

At home I still have land line phones and an alarm system and even a FAX machine to increasingly rarely need/use. There is a little box from Obihai that will link into Google Voice too. Landline connects to that box and the home phones, alarm and FAX machine use the same (or optionally a different) Google Voice number. Basically, at home, when someone calls my "cell," the Mini 6 rings along with my home phones. That all works perfectly fine and other than the one-time cost of that box, costs a whopping $0. Obihai has some add-on features for nominal amounts including a 911 service. I haven't added that but could.

Migrating my long-term phone number was easy, so that's now hosted at Google Voice and I could move it again if I ever wanted to change. I've also added a second phone number at GV and have it forwarding to my main number. That second number can be texted or called and I readily use it for business.

Great info thanks!

What about 2FA texts?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Form factor is great but everything else is “meh” so it’s a love hate relationship. Turning on reduce motion helps with animations but there’s still a lot of UI issues that you can never quite dial in. I would consider it a beta product still even with the latest OS update. Spent $500 for it to sit on my desk 80% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.