Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Hey guys,

Ordered the new iPad mini 6 from work, but I have to say it’s been a bit of a disappointment.

I love, love, love the form factor, but the performance and general response is so much worse than my 2018 IPP. Didn’t expect to notice the Jelly scrolling or lack of 120hz, but this is not an enjoyable device coming from my 11” iPad Pro. Animations stutter and so does audio when typing.

Will update to iOS 15.4 and see if this helps.

Are you generally happy with the device? Or facing similar issues?
Works fine for me and I dont notice jelly scrolling.

ianpick

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2021
Hi all,

Is it just me or does anyone else's iPad mini 6 power itself up when you plug it into a charger, from switched off? This wasn't the behaviour on my old mini...and iPhones allow you to charge them (faster) when powered off.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is it just me or does anyone else's iPad mini 6 power itself up when you plug it into a charger, from switched off? This wasn't the behaviour on my old mini...and iPhones allow you to charge them (faster) when powered off.

Iirc, this is normal behavior. I recall seeing the same behavior on my iPad 3.

If you plug in from power off, the device will turn on.

If you plug in first then power off, the device will remain off.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Iirc, this is normal behavior. I recall seeing the same behavior on my iPad 3.

If you plug in from power off, the device will turn on.

If you plug in first then power off, the device will remain off.

hmmmmm. Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but I have to suspect that this has to be some setting.

I own an iPad mini 2, mini 4 and now mini 6, and I've never seen that behaviorism from any of my i-devices.

ianpick

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2021
hmmmmm. Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but I have to suspect that this has to be some setting.

I own an iPad mini 2, mini 4 and now mini 6, and I've never seen that behaviorism from any of my i-devices.
Thanks for the replies.
TBH it's not a huge deal, but different to what I've experienced with any other iPad I've owned. I don't remember having to be particular about the power state vs. when I charge it.
On my old mini, if it was off and I plugged it into power, it stayed off.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks for the replies.
TBH it's not a huge deal, but different to what I've experienced with any other iPad I've owned. I don't remember having to be particular about the power state vs. when I charge it.
On my old mini, if it was off and I plugged it into power, it stayed off.
Maybe it depends on why it was off. I’ve been my devices come back on when charging if they were dead when I plugged them in. Maybe if it was off just because it was switched off it wold stay off then when charging.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Maybe it depends on why it was off. I’ve been my devices come back on when charging if they were dead when I plugged them in. Maybe if it was off just because it was switched off it wold stay off then when charging.

Just checked my Mini 6 on this. Turned it off when 90% charged and then plugged it in - it came back on. Same experiment with M1 12.9 - it also turned back on.

Reactions: ericwn

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I reach for my mini 90% of the time. The form factor is just so good for me. I have a 12.9 2018 IPP hardly gets used now.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I regularly swap between ProMotion and non-ProMotion devices so I haven't been acclimatized enough for the lack to bother me. I don't notice the jelly scrolling either. These things are hardware related so don't expect any firmware update to make things better.

I'm fairly content with the mini 6. Honestly, the one thing I wish for is more RAM.
I just bought the Mini 6 when it went on sale for $399 to keep next to the couch to use as "remote" for Apple TV and Sonos in my living room when watching TV. In reality I just wanted to buy one and found an excuse. I also have an iPad Pro and my iPhones and Macs are a mixture of promotion and no promotion. I have never really noticed any difference going between any of these devices. Sure if I intentionally put them side by side and scroll I can see the difference but in my real world usage I don't mind.
I tried very hard to convince myself that I needed 2022 iPad Air as my remote instead of the Mini for the only reason that it had 8GB ram and mini only has 4GB but the higher price and bigger form factor didn't fit my use as a "remote". I love my mini and it often gets tossed into my bookbag in case I need it away from the couch.

Last edited:

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The only minus with the Mini 6 is the 4GB RAM… except that, loving it! Using it on a daily basis and will keep it till they’ll release new version with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.