Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bought

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2022
Yea it’s a habit from my iPhones, which have all had a case with the raised lip. When I purposely think about it I’ll lay it face up but I guess years of muscle memory are hard to break.
I get that. I have often put my phone face down when around other people so they don’t see a random text message that I might not want them to see. and my phones have always had a case that keeps the screen off the surface like you said.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Volume buttons are so annoying where they are. TID is better than I thought it would be, still prefer FID.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Volume buttons are so annoying where they are. TID is better than I thought it would be, still prefer FID.

Yeah, I don’t get why they put the volume buttons where they did

Very odd when gripping it in landscape, which feels like the orientation they optimized for…especially given the change in screen jelly direction

AppleRocks2011

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I bought a Mini 6 from BestBuy because I found A great deal. Thought my Husband would enjoy it, as I’ve got an 11” IPP. The thing is, I love the Mini’s form factor, but I have to agree that the lack of pro-motion is what’s throwing me off.

Having the Magic Keyboard for my IPP makes it feel like more of a laptop, however if I use it as just an iPad, I enjoy the experience a lot more. If the iPad mini gets pro motion, I’d easily make the swap.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I put my Mini 6 face down, in a case so the screen is covered but the camera looks as though it would still be touching the surface if I didn’t.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I bought a Mini 6 from BestBuy because I found A great deal. Thought my Husband would enjoy it, as I’ve got an 11” IPP. The thing is, I love the Mini’s form factor, but I have to agree that the lack of pro-motion is what’s throwing me off.

Having the Magic Keyboard for my IPP makes it feel like more of a laptop, however if I use it as just an iPad, I enjoy the experience a lot more. If the iPad mini gets pro motion, I’d easily make the swap.

It really needs ProMotion -- would help with jelly thing also

Reactions: nylon

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I've had mind for about 6 months. I'm still happy with it. I have my time tracker on it, I use it for GPS, and I use it for web browsing, book reading, and similar activity where I'm in an environment where a larger iPad would be inconvenient.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Using mine now on my Spinner bike (Schwinn IC4) and the JRNY app - a Peloton for a lot less money and with a more versatile display. Sometimes I switch out with my 12.9 iPP.

Reactions: Johnny Irons

threee

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Atlanta
I picked one up a few weeks ago at my local Micro Center. $469 for the mini 6 256 GB, open box. I looked it over carefully, and it looked perfect. I'm very happy with the way it feels and works, and saving nearly $200 off Apple's Price didn't hurt, either!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
What about your shirt pocket? I’ve seen some men saying they can fit it in there. I always carry a handbag so don’t have the can it fit in my pocket issues.
No chance that the iPad mini 6 will fit in any shirt pocket that I own.

I did order the Timbuk2 bag. It should arrive this week. I'll find out if I want to carry it around or if it is too much trouble. So far though, I'm not bringing the iPad mini with me as much as I did when I could just put it in a jacket pocket.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

laff

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
I have owned the Mini 6 since it launched and love it. I had a 12.9 Ipad Pro 2021 as well (which I used for work). I recently left my gig and sold the 12.9 and kept my Mini 6. Why...

The Mini 6 is a great reader and good for meetings to take notes. Does it work for business as well as the larger screens? Personal choice but maybe not. But the 12.9 was too big and heavy for me. Great tablet but not what I wanted. I may add a new updated 11 Pro when it comes out (the newest version upcoming) but love my Mini 6 for reading (yes sometimes a little small (Text) but I can enlarge it if needed. The jelly roll I do not notice or does not bug me.

Overall if I wanted one iPad for work and other, I may pick a new Air or Pro...but for everything else, you can't beat the size, weight and ability to use an Apple pencil with the Mini 6.

Just my two cents...

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
I finally got one and I can't put it down. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen & plan on selling it now. The idea of such a big screen is great, but it's just so heavy and not something easily held - basically a $1200 mini desk TV for me. If I ever get more serious about drawing, I'll get a new pro.

The jelly scrolling is of course visible but honestly not at all bothersome to me. I understand it shouldn't have been made that way, but it's not as if I'm trying to read perfectly while I'm scrolling fast. Size is perfect - didn't buy this for ages because I have the max iPhone and thought it would be a waste.. Not to me when I've already spent several hours reading on this. The typing is already fairly easy after a few days vs me always avoiding typing on my ipad pro.

I've been going back and forth between the mini & my 13 pro max and I'm not bothered by the screen or speed or anything, maybe I'm blind or people are pushing it harder but for web browsing, reading, some games, I love it. nice to have an ipad I don't feel embarrassed to carry around/need a giant bag for.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I use my iPad Mini 6 all the time. The screen is a big letdown compared to my iPad Pro and iPhone 13 Mini. I really hope Apple will refresh the Mini with a brighter screen at some point.

I also think iPad OS stinks for the Mini. Hopefully the fall update will make things better.

I love the form factor. But I wish this thing folded and was a folding iPhone instead.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I use my iPad Mini 6 all the time. The screen is a big letdown compared to my iPad Pro and iPhone 13 Mini. I really hope Apple will refresh the Mini with a brighter screen at some point.

I also think iPad OS stinks for the Mini. Hopefully the fall update will make things better.

I love the form factor. But I wish this thing folded and was a folding iPhone instead.

ios 15 really doesn’t seem well suited for mini imo

Reactions: blairh

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
I don’t work on a tablet, and I seldom use the portrait mode, so the jelly display isn’t an issue. I do gaming, web browsing, social networking, and watching videos on a tablet more. That’s why I ultimately bought an iPad mini 6 which display is just slightly narrower than my iPad (6th generation), but it’s still significantly smaller and lighter, good for gaming and using it on the bed. Genshin Impact runs especially well on my iPad mini 6 with consistent 60 FPS and the just warm temperature. However, a few apps, including Telegram and Alto series, are not very optimised and there are some minor UX issues. Overall, iPad mini 6 is a suitable tablet if your usages are like mine.

Reactions: thv

Phineasgage1848

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2016
Came to the Mini 6 from a 10.5 iPad Pro and I’m very happy! Bought the 256gb Cellular and use it all the time. At home and traveling. It’s perfect for browsing, quick notes and I really enjoy it as an eReader. Something about the size is perfect for books - I even prefer it over my Kindle. ProMotion would be nice but isn’t a deal breaker and there are occasional UX issues with some apps that didn’t update for the Mini 6 (like YouTube scrubbing in full screen) but overall I love it and am super happy with the purchase.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I have a Mini 6 and a 12.9 (2020).

Switching between the two feels mostly natural depending on the tasks and usage requirements for each, but I do often notice the limitations of the Mini 6 after a period of use on 12.9

The Mini 6 definitely needs a Pro version to include:

- Pro motion display
- Higher nit count for outdoor viewing
- Improved speaker quality

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Anyone never used a case, how has it held up?

I'm your guy, never used a case on either of my (2) iPad mini's. However, I do have magnets attached to the back.

My Scout 800 is equipped with a steel safety dash, and my mini's are perfectly sized to attach to the dash via magnets. I use my mini's in the vehicle, one for music and the other for GPS/maps/navigation.

I've got a nice canvas case they both fit in. WW2 era German rain pattern map case, keep them in there with a piece of cloth to prevent rubbing. not perfect, but generally does the job pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.