Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Well, i have my Mini since it has been released and meanwhile i use it almost only for note taking at work. I really wanted to like the Mini but I also own a iPP 12.9 with Mini Led and especially the screen is so much better. The Mini really feels cheap and like a toy compared to the big brother. Im thinking of selling the Mini and getting a iPP 11. I would love a iPP Mini but i dont have big hopes that this might be released in the near future.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well, i have my Mini since it has been released and meanwhile i use it almost only for note taking at work. I really wanted to like the Mini but I also own a iPP 12.9 with Mini Led and especially the screen is so much better. The Mini really feels cheap and like a toy compared to the big brother. Im thinking of selling the Mini and getting a iPP 11. I would love a iPP Mini but i dont have big hopes that this might be released in the near future.

Sizewise, I love the Mini and I have no issues with the screen or feel it's "cheap." But I love lots of storage for media, and 256GB max is just ridiculous for an almost $800 device. It should have had at least 512GB max. The iPad Pro 11, at $2000 for 2TB is expensive, but it suits my needs better and its not far off from size and weight of the Mini.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
How's the mini 5 running these days?
mine is struggle after 2 years, 11 months, 3 days ago.
1. crazy backlight issue
2. battery 80% or lower i think
3. crack screen

** i think i start got backlight issue when i use cover set. The cover set maybe too tight.
** reading here thinking want to 6 or ipad air 5 or budget one.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
mine is struggle after 2 years, 11 months, 3 days ago.
1. crazy backlight issue
2. battery 80% or lower i think
3. crack screen

** i think i start got backlight issue when i use cover set. The cover set maybe too tight.
** reading here thinking want to 6 or ipad air 5 or budget one.
Sorry about your backlight issue. I haven’t had anything like that. My Mini 5 still runs like new thankfully, and I‘ve been using it every day for years. No cracked screen yet, but I keep it inside my home where there aren’t any really hard surfaces. Also I use Pop sockets on mine so that might be why I haven’t dropped mine. Not sure how my battery health is since I charge it every night and the charge doesn’t ever get very low, but I haven’t noticed battery life getting worse. If it does, I’d just get a battery replacement. The Mini 5 is actually a little better than the Mini 6 for my purposes (I like at least one big bezel and headphone port).

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Sorry about your backlight issue. I haven’t had anything like that. My Mini 5 still runs like new thankfully, and I‘ve been using it every day for years. No cracked screen yet, but I keep it inside my home where there aren’t any really hard surfaces. Also I use Pop sockets on mine so that might be why I haven’t dropped mine. Not sure how my battery health is since I charge it every night and the charge doesn’t ever get very low, but I haven’t noticed battery life getting worse. If it does, I’d just get a battery replacement. The Mini 5 is actually a little better than the Mini 6 for my purposes (I like at least one big bezel and headphone port).
to be truth, the iPad 6 yeah kinda overkill spec as we do for some gaming before, meeting discussion and for testing. The lightning cable was kinda off to us before because one time we could not airdrop to old MacBook 2011 and had to use the internet just to download some pdf client share to us. And the USB a to lightning only work on beta till now broken because some of the power juice, not enough(may see my old comment).

The crack is small and the battery is kinda okay even thou need to re-charge a bit frequently. But the crazy light making thinking again and again about how to solve this mess buy one or repair. The apple service provider said to me , better to buy new one than repair it since no apple care.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Sizewise, I love the Mini and I have no issues with the screen or feel it's "cheap." But I love lots of storage for media, and 256GB max is just ridiculous for an almost $800 device. It should have had at least 512GB max. The iPad Pro 11, at $2000 for 2TB is expensive, but it suits my needs better and its not far off from size and weight of the Mini.

Given the mid-range iPhone 13/13 mini have 512GB options, it would've been good if those options were available for the mid-range iPad mini 6 and Air 5 as well.

Alas, they probably felt the market's too small for a $850-1000 mini 6 and $950-1100 Air 5. Either that or they don't want a 512GB M1 Air 5 cannibalizing 512GB+ M1 Pro 11 sales.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Given the mid-range iPhone 13/13 mini have 512GB options, it would've been good if those options were available for the mid-range iPad mini 6 and Air 5 as well.

Alas, they probably felt the market's too small for a $850-1000 mini 6 and $950-1100 Air 5. Either that or they don't want a 512GB M1 Air 5 cannibalizing 512GB+ M1 Pro 11 sales.

I have the 256 Mini 6 and while I like a lot of on-board storage, I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger on a pricier mini device. I put the read-only files I want (video, primarily) on a 512GB uSD card that I use in a very small USBC- reader. 512GB works well for me on my 2021 12.9.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have the 256 Mini 6 and while I like a lot of on-board storage, I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger on a pricier mini device. I put the read-only files I want (video, primarily) on a 512GB uSD card that I use in a very small USBC- reader. 512GB works well for me on my 2021 12.9.

Same. I mostly use the iPad mini as a phablet for web-based stuff. I don't think I would've spent $1000 on a mini. The content I need large onboard storage for, I prefer to consume on bigger iPads.

Mind, I do keep a dual USB-A/C 1TB flash drive in my pocket for Blu-ray rips of some fave movies and TV shows. That way, I always have something to watch even when internet's crappy/unavailable. 😁

Reactions: MiniApple

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Same. I mostly use the iPad mini as a phablet for web-based stuff. I don't think I would've spent $1000 on a mini. The content I need large onboard storage for, I prefer to consume on bigger iPads.

Mind, I do keep a dual USB-A/C 1TB flash drive in my pocket for Blu-ray rips of some fave movies and TV shows. That way, I always have something to watch even when internet's crappy/unavailable. 😁

I have a 512GB uSD cards sitting around so an ultra-small reader for $13 was perfect -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08131PLHZ/

Jack55555

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2021
I have to say I absolutely love my Mini 6. I bought it right away from launch day and I haven’t been disappointed since. I use it daily and I love the size. With smartcover I can carry it with one hand and even fit in some pockets. I use the Mini for literally anything, from filing my tax report to media consumption over to creating files in numbers for work. This device just has the perfect allround package for me. I’m also looking forward to my new phone (still got iPhone 7) but I don’t think that there will be much usage time decline for Mini.
The only thing I would improve is battery life. As a heavy user I need to charge almost daily to at least every 2 to max 4 days.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have to say I absolutely love my Mini 6. I bought it right away from launch day and I haven’t been disappointed since. I use it daily and I love the size. With smartcover I can carry it with one hand and even fit in some pockets. I use the Mini for literally anything, from filing my tax report to media consumption over to creating files in numbers for work. This device just has the perfect allround package for me. I’m also looking forward to my new phone (still got iPhone 7) but I don’t think that there will be much usage time decline for Mini.
The only thing I would improve is battery life. As a heavy user I need to charge almost daily to at least every 2 to max 4 days.
I charge mine every day. I use my iPP 11 more during the day and the Mini 6 more at night so I tend to just swap them out on the charging plug.

Reactions: mizzourah

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I got the wrong colour for mine. Wish I’d got midnight grey rather than starlight.
I’m sure we’ve all had worse problems
Starlight for my iPad mini 6 and Midnight for my M2 MacBook Air. No problems at all.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I picked one up and I like it but the jelly scrolling is real and I don’t like it. You do get used to it after while but after using several devices it becomes noticeable again. I’ll live but it really is quite ridiculous. I also think it should’ve had 120hz for sure as this is its own category of device. I can see why the Air doesn‘t have it because then it would just be an 11 Pro but not everyone is going to want a Mini.

I bought it because I’m going to be traveling a lot and I don’t want to haul my 12.9“ around so it fits that bill. I also will be using it to read more because the form factor is more inviting. Still many things I’d rather just do on a phone at this size though since typing is still easier on a phone.

So yeah, fix the jelly scrolling and add 120hz and it’s infinitely better.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Curious what you don’t like about the starlight? That’s the color I was going to get when considering my iPad mini 6. (I ended up not getting one).
I got mine on launch day so I didn't get the chance to see all the colours in person. (Think I didn't go to the store due to Covid if I remember correctly)
It appeared to be a champagne/gold/stone colour on the images and I've never owned a gold Apple product so I fancied a change.
Now I have it I can barely notice the difference between it and the standard silver MacBook so I was a little underwhelmed.
After seeing it in store since I think the Space Grey looks best.

I'm not disappointed with it but it doesn't exactly excite me. - I got a Red iPhone 13 Mini about 6 months ago and I still love the look of it.

JDnLex

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
I bought a Mini 6 last year mainly to use as an e-reader. It’s a fantastic e-reader, and I prefer it over my Kindle. I’ve ended up using it much more than I expected. It’s pretty good for web browsing and it’s a great size for taking to meetings for note taking. Actual note taking is probably better on a larger iPad, but in landscape it’s not too bad. I also have a 2018 iPad 12.9 so some of the limitations of the small size are masked by having an alternate device.

Reactions: jdb8167 and Malcy16

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I got mine on launch day so I didn't get the chance to see all the colours in person. (Think I didn't go to the store due to Covid if I remember correctly)
It appeared to be a champagne/gold/stone colour on the images and I've never owned a gold Apple product so I fancied a change.
Now I have it I can barely notice the difference between it and the standard silver MacBook so I was a little underwhelmed.

I'm not disappointed with it but it doesn't exactly excite me. - I got a Red iPhone 13 Mini about 6 months ago and I still love the look of it.
I was actually going to get the starlight mini 6. When I got mine the online inventory tracker showed that they only had 1 in stock in starlight. However when I got to the store they had 1 in space grey so I bought that one. I didn’t mind as my iPad Pro is space grey and my MacBook Air is space grey. My iPhone and Apple Watch are gold so I could have gone for either starlight or space grey and been happy.

Reactions: Malcy16

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

When I got my mini 6, there was only one model available at any of my local Apple stores--the cellular model, 256 GB, Starlight. Starlight is usually the last color I'd pick, but I went ahead and bought it and have NOT been disappointed. I think the Starlight looks really nice and I've gotten quite used to it.

My iPhone is Sierra Blue, my Macs are Silver and Space Grey, my iPad is Starlight. Now the question is what my next Apple Watch color will be!

Nebell

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2022
I went like this:
iPad 11 (M1) > Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus > iPad Mini 6 and the only thing that will make me ditch Mini 6 is Mini 7, or something with high end specs/screen around 8.5" - 9" (depending on bezel size, I think Mini 6 has too fat bezel).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.