Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
So, after this assessment, did you return it?
I did indeed. Disappointing because the potential exists within the product for it to be great. I wanted to like it enough to keep it, but unfortunately I did not.

The Mini 5 is noticeably less quick in use than the latest and greatest, but I wouldn’t yet label it “slow.” It has plenty of functional life left in it.

Reactions: kristalsoldier

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
tempted to pick up a mini just for more portability at home, note taking at work, something to watch on my break and even in bed watching stuff. will see may look to see what is ahead at WWDC to see if I should get another iPad.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm pleased with my iPad mini but I'm already bored of the colour (starlight). I was very underwhelmed with the Mini colours, my dad has the pink but you can barely see any pink its very subtle and my father in law has the purple one which isn't my favourite.
To be honest I wish they'd done the Mini 6 in the blue like the latest iPad Air.

In terms of usage I absolutely love it, I moved from the previous gen iPad Air. I tend to browse the web, stream shows, YouTube etc on it and read books/magazines but it was always too big for me. I was never fully comfortable with it even though I liked the larger screen. Since moving to the smaller Mini I have been really comfortable using it and I'm happy so far.

Now Apple some new colours later this year wouldn't go a miss! Also if you are being kind please can we have some different smart folio colours too?! Pretty please!!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Summer weather has arrived in New England. That means I’m no longer wearing my jacket with pockets large enough to hold the iPad mini. It remains to be seen if I will still carry the mini everywhere if I have to hold it instead of pocketing it. And I think bringing the Apple Pencil is now out of the question. I’ll definitely lose it without someplace to store it securely.
What about your shirt pocket? I’ve seen some men saying they can fit it in there. I always carry a handbag so don’t have the can it fit in my pocket issues.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
It’s very jarring going from my 13 max to the mini and back.
Oled
Smoothness
Speed
Can see why it’s a 3rd of the price lol
Wouldn’t it be nice to have an option that’s 1/2 the price and less jarring? I really do think there is a market for a Mini Pro for this reason. Apple has diversified/over saturated its product lines more than ever before, so what’s one more niche?

Honestly, the lack of success in iPhone Mini sales is probably not good news for this possibility. Bummer that people have not bought that phone much.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Wouldn’t it be nice to have an option that’s 1/2 the price and less jarring? I really do think there is a market for a Mini Pro for this reason. Apple has diversified/over saturated its product lines more than ever before, so what’s one more niche?

Honestly, the lack of success in iPhone Mini sales is probably not good news for this possibility. Bummer that people have not bought that phone much.

I have a 13 Pro Max, but I bought a 13 Mini as a backup phone (we had an unused SIM laying around that was still active, for a number we didn't want to get rid of). Its really a great phone, and I would consider it for a primary, but I like the 1TB storage (vs 512GB in the Mini). Just like the Mini iPad should have at least 512GB max. 256GB max fror an iPad that can do 4K video is ridiculous.

Johnny Irons

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2022
Anyone never used a case, how has it held up?
I just have a leather skin for the back of it and a screen protector. I love the skin, keeps it feeling thin but gives it that nice leather feel instead of cold aluminum. Glad I got a screen protector as well. The screen protector already has micro scratches around the corners from laying it face down on the coffee table and bookcase etc. I can’t really speak for how it will hold up as I’ve only had it for 3 weeks. Seems kinda thin and delicate. I didn’t want a folio type case and couldn’t find any leather cases like the Apple iPhone leather case so I just went with a skin. What I want is a Nomad case like the one for the Air and the Pro. I emailed them and they said they have no plans to make one. Sucks for me.

Reactions: Dealmans

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I just have a leather skin for the back of it and a screen protector. I love the skin, keeps it feeling thin but gives it that nice leather feel instead of cold aluminum. Glad I got a screen protector as well. The screen protector already has micro scratches around the corners from laying it face down on the coffee table and bookcase etc. I can’t really speak for how it will hold up as I’ve only had it for 3 weeks. Seems kinda thin and delicate. I didn’t want a folio type case and couldn’t find any leather cases like the Apple iPhone leather case so I just went with a skin. What I want is a Nomad case like the one for the Air and the Pro. I emailed them and they said they have no plans to make one. Sucks for me.
I ordered a moko folio off amazon to try $15AUD, havnt got it yet. Still not convinced by the mini, in 2 minds if to keep it, or use the $1400 I got for my 12.9" and get a base M1 11" or a refurb 20202 11".
Or nothing lol 13 max all in.

Johnny Irons

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2022
Mine was a gift from my wife so I didn’t have to make any decisions lol. I did purchase AppleCare+ for it in case it vibrates off the treadmill but so far it doesn’t seem like that could even happen. My old XS vibrated off and hit the belt of the treadmill and went flying into the wall. Didn’t hurt it but kinda got me paranoid.

Reactions: Dealmans

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
This has turned into a very long reply and should have probably been it's own post, but here we are. Thanks for following along to anyone that made it this far. Happy for all those that are satisfied with and enjoying their Mini 6s.
After being so hyped about the Mini 6 and then letdown by all of the complaints, I've decided to get a Mini 5 instead, and your post sealed the deal.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I primarily use the Mini 6 to read newspaper articles, books and occasionally Youtube. The size is just perfect for this. However, my other devices are an iPhone 13 Pro and 14" MBP both of which have 120Hz Promotion displays. Using the Mini in collaboration with these other devices makes the display on the mini look extremely blurry even with light scrolling. It would have been a perfect product for consumption with a 120Hz screen. A missed opportunity. It's priced well at the recent $399 but not at MSRP.

Reactions: GhostOS

birdiesbud

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2022
Hey guys,

Ordered the new iPad mini 6 from work, but I have to say it’s been a bit of a disappointment.

I love, love, love the form factor, but the performance and general response is so much worse than my 2018 IPP. Didn’t expect to notice the Jelly scrolling or lack of 120hz, but this is not an enjoyable device coming from my 11” iPad Pro. Animations stutter and so does audio when typing.

Will update to iOS 15.4 and see if this helps.

Are you generally happy with the device? Or facing similar issues?
I'm happy, went from Pro, 2020 and small to make it easier to use sitting and watching tv or carrying around for video. I haven't noticed the sketchy video....and no jelly scrolling.

Bought

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2022
I’m just curious, why do you lay it face down?

The screen protector is protecting the screen from scratches, but you are getting scratches on the screen protector which isn’t good either.

Bought

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2022
I primarily use the Mini 6 to read newspaper articles, books and occasionally Youtube. The size is just perfect for this. However, my other devices are an iPhone 13 Pro and 14" MBP both of which have 120Hz Promotion displays. Using the Mini in collaboration with these other devices makes the display on the mini look extremely blurry even with light scrolling. It would have been a perfect product for consumption with a 120Hz screen. A missed opportunity. It's priced well at the recent $399 but not at MSRP.
Where can I find a mini six for $399?

Bought

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2022
Been for sale at that a few times -- will happen again
Consider monitoring locally also

Base Mini6's have been trading sub $399 around me for a while now, even new at times.
Locally as in the Apple store?

I would love to find a new one for $400.

Johnny Irons

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2022
I’m just curious, why do you lay it face down?

The screen protector is protecting the screen from scratches, but you are getting scratches on the screen protector which isn’t good either.
Yea it’s a habit from my iPhones, which have all had a case with the raised lip. When I purposely think about it I’ll lay it face up but I guess years of muscle memory are hard to break.

Reactions: Bought
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.