Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you keeping always on display on?

• Keeping it on

Votes: 147 48.5%
  • Turned it off

Votes: 156 51.5%

• Total voters

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I love always on display. I just wish it would stay on all the time. Especially when sitting on my wireless charger on my night stand. Or atleast give me the option to have it on always and not go to sleep.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
My favorite thing about always on display is being able to swipe the home bar before waking the display. Huge quality of life improvement

I'm debating between leaving the wallpaper on or off, it looks cool but I'm worried about long term OLED degradation (my 13 pro was already starting to be washed out at lower brightness)

Battery hasn't really been a concern on my 15 Pro Max, also YouTube tests have shown me the wallpaper doesn't use much more battery than mostly black does. Must be the display controller taking most of the juice here. Although I bet in higher ambient light conditions it would make more of a difference, food for thought

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I keep it off. I tried to keep it on for several days, but I find it extremely distracting (it looks to me as if there's some notification I missed), and it uses way too much battery.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
I like it on, but I temper it by turning off raise to display. The wallpaper is off for AOD as well.

I also usually put the phone face down on a table which theoretically shuts off AOD. I can’t confirm that for obvious reasons ;).

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Can I have a screen always on in standby mode while having AOD off? I want to have all-night alarm clock but I'm not a fan of AOD in general

I am also moving from 11PM to 15 PM but I still have to wait 3-10 days

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Can I have a screen always on in standby mode while having AOD off? I want to have all-night alarm clock but I'm not a fan of AOD in general

I am also moving from 11PM to 15 PM but I still have to wait 3-10 days
You can now yes

17.1 made this possible

Reactions: Khavik

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Coming from an 11 pro, so this is a new feature to me. I think I kind of like the always on display, but am I suffering from huge battery drain? Have people turned it off and having battery battery life ?
I keep toggling between it being on and off - my issue is that I keep thinking there is something going on on my phone when it’s sitting next to my laptop when I am working.
I currently have it on, so if I don’t want it distracting me I turn the phone face down.
Have it with wallpaper turned off, does not drain much battery in this setup.
IMG_2928.png

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I have a 15 Pro but it has the always on display and I have an Apple Watch Ultra 2 and I always just leave them on. I got the devices for a particular reason and it is because I wanted the always on display and since I am retired I always near a charger. No reason to turn them off. I did do one thing and that is shut off wallpaper on the always all display as I found it looks better in my opinion with the black screen.

Reactions: steve217

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Turning AOD off will give you additional battery life albeit minutes not hours

My Apple Watch Ultra 2 can get 3+ days of battery life with AOD turned on, so I highly doubt it should have a big impact on the iPhone 15 Pro Max too.

But if you really want to maximise battery life, it is best to turn it off ofcourse. Since my iPhone 15 Pro Max isn't dead at the end of the day, I have no reason to turn AOD off (yet).

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Stop posting false information. Do you know anyone personally who has burn in issues because of the AOD?
Actually I had on my AW5 :D I had battery indicator in the same place for 4 years so small part of it burned but it was almost unseen and notocable only if there was something white on screen around it

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Interesting how many people don't have it on. It's one of the main reasons I upgraded from my 13 mini. I love that I rarely miss notifications now for things like messages, Teams chats, emails, etc. Even though I have notifications turned on for these things on my Ultra, for some reason it seems like I miss too many on the watch.

Reactions: svish

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
To me it’s distracting. It’s like my Brain craves the notification. I found my self looking at my phone screen for notification. I turned it off eventually. Then went back to a se 2022 and now bought a 13 mini again after selling mine last year to buy the 14 pro.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
When I’m at home lounging watching tv I have it set to On. When I leave my home I turn it off to save battery

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I originally thought always-on display was draining my battery a lot, but I think it was just because optimization was going on during the first couple days I had the phone, so it was an illusion when I turned off always on display and battery life vastly improved.

I've since turned it back on and my battery life is fine. I'll turn it off if I know I'm going to be out the entire day and need every bit of battery life, but even then it doesn't matter because it will spend most of the day in my pocket and thus the AOD will be off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.