Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15/Pro/Max?

• Yes

Votes: 552 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 425 33.5%
  • Unsure and/or depends on features offered

Votes: 293 23.1%

• Total voters

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
11 PM -> 12 PM was interesting because of the new flat design and 5G; 13 PM was interesting because of ProMotion and a smaller notch; 14 PM was a definite must have due to 48 MP main camera + satellite SOS + DI. I've upgraded annually via the iPhone Upgrade Program since getting the XS Max in 2018 but this is the first time that I have felt almost zero interest in continuing in the program. I suppose I am the target demographic for the iUP (techie who wants the newest tech but doesn't need it and is fairly easily persuaded) and this feels surprising. It doesn't feel worth it to be paying for sales tax and new cases, new screen protector, etc. for what feels to me like the same phone except for smaller bezels and a 5X telephoto lens. The main camera sensor being the same IMX803 certainly doesn't help either.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Ordered a 15pm in natural and blue today and deciding which one I will keep when pickup on 9/22 in store.

My 14pm is amazing and do love it, but decided to upgrade *potentially* if I like it. Worst case I can go to the store and it is not for me. Selling my 14pm if so.

Some of My reasons are as follows: I go case-less and the idea of rounded edges will be a nice change as currently the 14pm digs into my hands and hopefully not as slick which will be great. The extra reach on tele will be used. Love the portrait photo flexibility as I do take a good amount of portraits, usb-c will be nice as I do some YT stuff and only film on my phone so transferring to mac will be much faster (or directly to a hard drive is cool), any small improvements outside of that are only a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad7

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
There are still many times where you need to plug in. Like using a power bank.
I don’t need to use a power bank often, but when I do I have one that has wireless charging (along with wired if you need it).

I’m happy about the move to USB-C. But I plug in so infrequently anyway, it’s not a reason for me to upgrade. It will be a nice convenience for my next upgrade though.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Have a 14PM which I use a LOT for video (interviews, concerts etc.) shooting. Will NOT upgrade to the 15P(M) as the hardware (apart from the WA lens coating and the 5x camera in the PM) seems to be exactly the same as in the 14P(M) and everything else is just software tricks, many of them absolutely useless for me (Portrait, 48 Mpixel HEIFs etc.).

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
11 PM -> 12 PM was interesting because of the new flat design and 5G; 13 PM was interesting because of ProMotion and a smaller notch; 14 PM was a definite must have due to 48 MP main camera + satellite SOS + DI. I've upgraded annually via the iPhone Upgrade Program since getting the XS Max in 2018 but this is the first time that I have felt almost zero interest in continuing in the program. I suppose I am the target demographic for the iUP (techie who wants the newest tech but doesn't need it and is fairly easily persuaded) and this feels surprising. It doesn't feel worth it to be paying for sales tax and new cases, new screen protector, etc. for what feels to me like the same phone except for smaller bezels and a 5X telephoto lens. The main camera sensor being the same IMX803 certainly doesn't help either.
Like you, I almost always upgrade annually, with just a few exceptions, skipping a couple of S models and more recently the 13PM, waiting instead to get the 14PM. I was really psyched about the titanium frame, thinking I would for sure upgrade, but after the underwhelming launch announcement, I have no interest in upgrading. Looks like I’ll wait for the 16 Ultra.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
BTW, has ever been so underwhelming an iPhone camera upgrade than with the 14P -> 15P switch? I remember the iPhone 6 being a disappointment because of (still) not supporting 4k or the 12 / 12 Pro still having the same cr@ppy, overly blurred UWA camera as the 11. But most? all? other new models did have improved camera hardware.

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
Planning on upgrading from iPhone 13 mini with 128 GB to the iPhone 15 with 256 GB. I need more battery and storage. The camera improvements, satellite connectivity and crash detection are also major incentives, especially since satellite connectivity will be coming to Switzerland this year. The pro has too many pro features I’d never use.
After a few days reflection, I ordered the iPhone 15 pro natural titanium with 256GB. The 3x lens is a focal length I‘ve occasionally regretted not having available. Additional battery life compared to the non-pro iPhone is an additional factor. Small quality of life details such as AOD, programmable action button, USB-C, and future-proof specifications like Wifi 6E (I have a compatible router and Mac) or the possibility of stereoscopic filming are a plus. Actually, I really like the natural titanium which will pair nicely with the Apple Watch Ultra. I‘ve kept away from the pro models until now due to the weight.

Reactions: Brad7

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
AOD, programmable action button and future-proof specifications like Wifi 6E (I have a compatible router and Mac) or the possibility of stereoscopic filming are a plus.

At least on the 14 Pro, the AOD is a joke. It just reduces battery life and really offers no real benefit.

I have turned it off and enjoy a significant boost to battery life on my 14 Pro.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
After a few days reflection, I ordered the iPhone 15 pro natural titanium with 256GB. The 3x lens is a focal length I‘ve occasionally regretted not having available. Additional battery life compared to the non-pro iPhone is an additional factor. Small quality of life details such as AOD, programmable action button, USB-C, and future-proof specifications like Wifi 6E (I have a compatible router and Mac) or the possibility of stereoscopic filming are a plus. Actually, I really like the natural titanium which will pair nicely with the Apple Watch Ultra. I‘ve kept away from the pro models until now due to the weight.
the non pro must be poor cause the 14 pro is average, 15 pro looks the same

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I'm just waiting to see some real world reviews of the iPhone 15 Pro camera. I'm on a 13 Pro now and take a lot of pictures of my kids. If the camera jump is substantial I'll get the 15, if not I'll gladly stick with the 13.

loopi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
Have a 14PM which I use a LOT for video (interviews, concerts etc.) shooting. Will NOT upgrade to the 15P(M) as the hardware (apart from the WA lens coating and the 5x camera in the PM) seems to be exactly the same as in the 14P(M) and everything else is just software tricks, many of them absolutely useless for me (Portrait, 48 Mpixel HEIFs etc.).
After installing the iOS 17 RC, HEIF Max 48MP Format is now available on the 14 PM too.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Curious what the new phones seem like, but a skip for me personally.

staying on 14 pro max at least another year, perhaps even more..

snatched up another OEM leather case (ink color) and also ordered a MagSafe pop socket round to have a smaller MagSafe pop socket than ive been using last few years. should add some freshness

• Love

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Curious what the new phones seem like, but a skip for me personally.

staying on 14 pro max at least another year, perhaps even more..

snatched up another OEM leather case (ink color) and also ordered a MagSafe pop socket round to have a smaller MagSafe pop socket than ive been using last few years. should add some freshness
Depeding if I like the natural in store I might end up keeping my 14pm purple. My only gripe with it is the straight edges and I go caseless which means it digs into my hands at times.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Still undecided about upgrading. The reviews this week will be the determining factor for me.

My 14 pro max is still a great device and if the real-world reviews state the 15 Pro Max camera isn’t all that different from the 14 Pro Max, I will pass. But if reviews say it’s a worthy upgrade even for 14 pro max users, then I will try my luck with walk-in stock at my local Apple stores. I got my iPhone 7 Plus via Walk-In launch weekend so it’s a chance.

Also, the A17 is compelling since I am a gamer. But those are the only major things for me. Honestly, this has just been a constant dilemma as seen by my posts here lol. The Apple fanboy in me wants to fall into the upgrade hype, but the responsible adult is saying NO 😆.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Though I’ve pre-ordered a 15 Pro I keep wondering if to cancel or not and just stick with my 13 Pro. The main reason for upgrading is the reduced weight plus some other upgrades like in the camera, but I’m not sure that and the other changes are sufficient enough to warrant the financial outlay, especially in current circumstances. The tech head in me says upgrade but the person holding the wallet says no. Also some iPhone OLED screens I get on better with than others so is it better the devil you know in that respect.

I might do what I did with the 13 Pro hold off a few months and then decide if to upgrade or not once I’ve considered things more especially reviews.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Though I’ve pre-ordered a 15 Pro I keep wondering if to cancel or not and just stick with my 13 Pro. The main reason for upgrading is the reduced weight plus some other upgrades like in the camera, but I’m not sure that and the other changes are sufficient enough to warrant the financial outlay, especially in current circumstances. The tech head in me says upgrade but the person holding the wallet says no. Also some iPhone OLED screens I get on better with than others so is it better the devil you know in that respect.

I might do what I did with the 13 Pro hold off a few months and then decide if to upgrade or not once I’ve considered things more especially reviews.

An alternative idea is to keep the pre-order and try the device out for two weeks to see if it’s worth it to you. If not, return it.

Reactions: super chimp

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
An alternative idea is to keep the pre-order and try the device out for two weeks to see if it’s worth it to you. If not, return it.

True especially as it really do strongly dislike the 13 Pro’s ergonomics, and the 15 Pro might be massively better. The physio I see actually told me my phone has adversely impacted my MSK condition on my right side.

Reactions: xxray
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.