Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading to the 11/11Pro/Max?

• Total voters

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I am.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...date-release-camera-upgrade-iphone-xs-max-xr/

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FScreenshot-2019-06-19-at-01.25.12-1200x641.jpg

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm not especially offended by the notch, but I do think hole punch designs look cleaner. Having said that, with how much is packed in behind it, I can't see the notch being made that much smaller, unless they completely jettison FaceID when TouchID returns (unlikely?).

As for upgrading, I am hoping to see the 2020s bring back TouchID as rumoured, so yeah I will probably skip 2019 barring dropping my 8 plus in the next 18 months or something.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No. Not Forbes...
Since I have iPhone XS Max, I won’t care about 2019, maybe 2020 iPhone in that regard as iTunes support could be extremely stretched.
Plus, purchasing iPhone outright every year is just too much. I know I can go with a plan, but leasing a personal device is not my cup of tea either.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I read that Apple is dropping the lightning port.

No thanks. This port dance is getting old. I've got all my cables, etc. Not going to buy all new stuff for a stupid new connector that I don't need.
This is progress I’d argue and users are always left out dry and have to figure out those things on their own. No one will back them up. I have learned this in a hard way especially in recent months.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

No thanks. This port dance is getting old. I've got all my cables, etc. Not going to buy all new stuff for a stupid new connector that I don't need.
I'm not relishing this either, USB C in many cases has a nasty habit of getting loose over time - I've read of people with MacBooks where this even compromises the connection. Lightning is a really solid design (and yeah I've got a drawer full of cables at this point too!)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
the days of 1 year, 2 year upgade "cycles" ended when the carriers stopped subsidizing phones a few years ago. There's nothing magical about 2 years or three years and nowadays not much changes year to year except the hype & camera. Most people aren't buying new computers every 2 years... so why buy an iPhone? It costs as much as one. It seems like unnecessary churn & waste for marginal benefit. Most of these iPhones can work perfectly fine beyond 3-4 years if they're taken care of (and kept on their original OS)

Last edited:

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Not sure but am definitely going to wait until mid 2020 when we get more solid info on the 2020 phones.
Ambivalent about a 6.7” Max and 5G means nothing to me.
I’ll take the 6.7” if I can run it under 4G I suppose.
Possibly I’ll get a 2019 when the 2020s come out and save a few dollars.
Lots of time, lots of questions.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
This is progress I’d argue and users are always left out dry and have to figure out those things on their own. No one will back them up. I have learned this in a hard way especially in recent months.

Progress for whom? Leaving me out to dry is not progress in my book.

I’m sure it’s progress to Apple if it gets more of our money.

New connector is an answer to nobody’s problem.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’m waiting for 5G, but the rumor is that apple will be getting rid of lcd. The oled on my max messed with my head, so I had to return it. If the 2020 iPhone lineup is all oled, I’ll give them another chance. If I continue to get headaches, then I will have a decision to make. For now my 8+ will suffice, but it’s going to be pretty old by 2020.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i will ask my wife if she can give me her phone, an iPhone 8, and then we will get her a new 2019 model whatever it is, that she likes.
then i will get a new phone in 2020.

i really want a 5.4 size display, really pocketable top tier model.
with USB-C if possible.
and a qualcomm 5G modem, not an intel branded 5G modem.
really want LCD, not the OLED display pulsing lights.
really want it to retain Touch ID and not make Face ID compulsory.
also need global NFC (with A/B, and F so that Felica is well supported) and ExpressCard with reserve battery function.

the mid-term rumored small size model apparently targeted for spring 2020 is going to be tempting to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: tunastink

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Progress for whom? Leaving me out to dry is not progress in my book.

I’m sure it’s progress to Apple if it gets more of our money.

New connector is an answer to nobody’s problem.
But without new connector, companies won’t be able to push new stuff and sell them to customers. In the USB-C case, that is higher transfer speed, more power support and universal To other devices. Apple sees these advantages and go for USB-C. Same thing happened when 30-pin connector was replaced by lightning. They care customers as much as we care Apple.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

USB-C cables are expensive, the good quality ones anyway. An adapter would be annoying. I’m sure, eventually, this year or next, they’ll drop the ball on us and change over and offer a $10 adapter.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I've said and maintain: iPhone 2019 is DOA

Won't be getting a new iPhone until AT LEAST 2021. Apple needs to suffer and languish with more losses for a consecutive year to get their heads out of the cloud. Delayed features /products, obscene pricing, no game changing features, etc...

Like I'm sure they know already, 2020 will be make or break for iPhone dominance. I think Apple will deliver.

With that said, even then I'm not upgrading. There's a certain satisfaction in owning my device upfront and not having to obsess with carrier deals, or if Apple will do the "right" thing and lower prices.

In closing, this article is spot on!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It depends what the ‘triple lens camera’ can offer, but my ‘upgrading annually’ has halted being my iPhone does everything I need it to right now. The next major upgrade that I for-see for sure upgrading will be in 2020, When 5G is predominant and I suspect more physical tweaks will be in place.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Can’t afford another $1,000 iPhone that will perform just as great as the 2017 iPhones. Even if I had the money, I just can’t see it being a justifiable purchase. The camera is awesome on the 10, even the 10s. Performance on iOS 13 (impressive for an early beta) is awesome for devices.

Reactions: Dopestar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.