Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading to the 11/11Pro/Max?

• Total voters

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I thought I was waiting for 2020, 5G yada yada and planning on upgrading from an X to a Max version for a bigger display finally.

However with rumors saying Max will go from 6.5 to 6.7, that’s gonna be way too big for me. The high end 5.8 is getting shrink to 5.4 and will be way too small moving forward.

So now I’m heavily contemplating going to the 11 Pro Max 6.5 this year and see how it plays out next year just to be safe.

Another excuse I can give myself is my son gets all my old phones 2nd hand and right now he is sporting my old 6S. He’d like an upgrade too. Lol

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I which I had yr self control....man, how did you deal with a 6 for that long?

Minimalist user... My phone usage is nothing more than just calls, navigation, messaging, and other utilitarian services... no FB no twitter no instagram no games...

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
Well, I had a change of heart and caved. Received $400 for my iPhone X. Had $225 in Apple gift cards from my Barclays card. Too good to pass up. Apple employee even gave me 10% off apple care for being a teacher.

Assuming I can get $500 trade-in in 2020, I don’t feel I’m out too much. Likely have more rewards points to use then too.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I know I was dead set on not upgrading until 2020, but next month I’ll be upgrading and taking advantage of the 14 day return period to test out the reception on the 11 Pro Max. I’m getting more and more frustrated by the day with the XS Max, no service and dropped calls. With it getting dark outside earlier and me being outside because of my job, it’s important for me to have a working phone.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I caved and bought a new 11 pro. With the $500 trade in for my Xs it was too hard to resist.

Last edited:

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Just made my final payment on my 8+ and ended up saving $300 through T-Mobile from a promotion they ran two years ago. Sticking with this phone until it dies which will hopefully be two years out or longer. I'll put in a new battery when the time comes but so far it is holding up well.

I will be upgrading my son's old SE to an 11.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
That sounds so low to me. By British currency standards you only got £405 for your XS and they are going on eBay here for around £700 used. Are they really only $500 in the states now?
I can't tell you what they are going for on ebay here, but my personal experience with ebay hasn't been great. The ease and convenience of doing it at the  store makes up for whatever loss I may have incured. Craigslist is a definite no go also for security reasons, at least for me. IE setting up a safe place to conduct the transaction is a hassle, again for me.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I’ve been on the annual upgrade train since the 6 or 6s and with the X I got on the IUP. This year I got my 11 Pro on launch day and loved it. After 10 days or so, though, I decided to return it and keep my XS. I know much fun was made of Brian Chen’s review of the new iPhones at the NYT, but I appreciated it. There is something potentially absurd about upgrading every year. The cameras are great on the 11 Pro (though overhyped as usual), but not THAT much better than those on the XS (with the exception of Night Mode). Anyway, I will keep the XS until I pay it off and then either trade in over hand down to a family member. I except I’ll get the top of the line 2020 phone.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
That sounds so low to me. By British currency standards you only got £405 for your XS and they are going on eBay here for around £700 used. Are they really only $500 in the states now?
Just out of curiosity I checked Ebay. The only phone like the one I traded in brought $480 IIRC. And there weren't very many already sold ones, only the one in fact.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
This was a great review of the cameras on the 11-8’s. Bottom line - the cameras are not THAT much better than an old iPhone 8. :p

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity I checked Ebay. The only phone like the one I traded in brought $480 IIRC. And there weren't very many already sold ones, only the one in fact.

The iPhone XS secondhand on eBay seem to range anywhere from £600 to £780 here. They did sell most of them in the States though so perhaps the market is more flooded with them plus they were cheaper there to begin with.

Reactions: Martyimac

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
I put a new battery in my iPhone 7 earlier this year and it's fine. No need to spend more money until I either lose it, it gets stolen, or the screen gets smashed.

Reactions: B.A.T

PlainEnvelopes

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
I'm skipping 2019 not because I don't like the phone, but because I just had a horrendous customer service with Apple.

My cable is torn and I asked for a replacement and they refused because they saw a black pin and said because there's damage on the pin (blame it on me putting it in water) they won't replace it and I'll have to buy a new one. How can they refuse to replace a ripped cable, black pin or not?

No way I'm paying 1000$ for a phone that they won't even replace a torn cable.

I would never expect them to replace a damaged cable. That is a 100% on the customer.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
right. But they’re not thaaaaat much better.
I have to disagree. The camera is way better. The low light pictures are like nothing I've seen from an iPhone. I was able to pull off a 30 second exposure of the ISS last night. The wide angle has come in handy at sporting events as well. If you're not into pictures, it's probably not worth the upgrade. If you're like me, who travels a lot and likes to take pictures, it is greatly worth the upgrade.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.