Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you updating to iOS 15 today?

• Yes!

Votes: 100 63.7%
  • No, but I'll do it as soon as I'm able to.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • No, I always wait for the first incremental update.

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • No, I always wait longer (feel free to explain in a comment).

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • No way, I'm staying with iOS 14 (or older, feel free to explain).

Votes: 20 12.7%

• Total voters

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I know it is delayed, but I am curious if iOS 15 still puts it on your device and will just wait till later on to activate it, the on device scanner.
I don't think that would go over very well, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have to upgrade so I can receive proper services from Apple. Yes. They don’t offer services for a device running beta software, even exchanging battery that is dropping dangerously close to 80% health.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I know it is delayed, but I am curious if iOS 15 still puts it on your device and will just wait till later on to activate it, the on device scanner.
Oh they will…… they definitely will.

When discussion dies off, they flip a switch and boom, scanning now.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I did on my iPhone 12 Pro and on my iPad air 4. The phone is fine but it is running awfully on my iPad Air. I wish I hadn’t been in a rush to update the iPad. The performance is so bad that I am going to try to downgrade to 14 tomorrow.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I did on my iPhone 12 Pro and on my iPad air 4. The phone is fine but it is running awfully on my iPad Air. I wish I hadn’t been in a rush to update the iPad. The performance is so bad that I am going to try to downgrade to 14 tomorrow.

Did you do a fresh, clean install? If you did an incremental update only, trust me, do a fresh restore/install. It may make all the difference.

And in answer to the first post, I always await the first incremental update, then do a clean install on iPhones and iPads. No backups, no incremental updates when it's a major release.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I may change my mind and do that, but I really dislike the homepage revisions and I dislike the way the tabs look in Safari. Plus I prefer the favorites toolbar above the tabs like it is now in 14. Safari in 15 just looks clunky on my iPad.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Nope. My iPhone 8 doesn't feel at fast as it used to when running 14, so I have no interest in bogging it down further. There also don't seem to be any new features that are useful to me.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I always try to update day one...it takes awhile, but it's nice to get all the updates done and out of the way entirely. I like getting the new features ASAP when they drop!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Going to wait and see how it goes for everyone else on the forum over the next week. I just restored both my devices to 14.8 and both are working well right now so I'm in no rush..

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I like it so far although I don’t think I love the notification redesign. I find it almost harder to read? Does everything seem…smaller or something? I can’t quite put my finger on it

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm waiting this one out. I just started a new job and the last thing I want to risk right now is my phone acting wonky. Besides, its an incremental upgrade even though security is always the primary reason you should upgrade. I still feel like all the pieces need to fall in place first before I do upgrade. That drag and drop features between iPad OS 15 and Monterrey has been delayed. So, I will start upgrading with my 6s being the first pilot after the new MacBook Pros are released. By then, we should have a few point updates. With millions of new iPhone 13's going out Friday with iOS 15 installed, it should be a good test bed for finding show stoppers and getting them fixed. Looking back to iOS 14, it was an awkward launch, I believe 14.1 was actually in testing before GM.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Nope. My iPhone 8 doesn't feel at fast as it used to when running 14, so I have no interest in bogging it down further. There also don't seem to be any new features that are useful to me.

Did you try doing a clean install? I did a clean install of IOS 14 on an iPhone 7, it ran fantastic, no slowdown. Why don't you give it a try with a clean install of iOS 15 and report back? I bet your iPhone 8 will be pretty responsive.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I wasn’t super excited about iOS 15, but I went ahead and installed it.

Am I crazy or is iOS15 actually… awesome!?

I don’t think Apple even mentioned this, but it is way faster, smoother, and more responsive on my iPhone 12 Pro. The experience feels better systemwide.

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I have been trying to update since noon and could not get past Apple logo after install on my 11 Pro Max. After install it would hang on the Apple logo... if I called it I could feel it vibrate but could not answer call or get to lock screen. It would just stay at the logo and then reboot after a while. I tried to install over 3 times... OTA download and from Finder on Mac a few times.

It only booted normally with fresh install and then failed to boot again after restored iCloud backup so I gave up. I don't have time to setup a fresh install right now though so forced to downgrade back to 14.8... had no issues on 14.8 so not sure why having hard time with iOS15. Will try again in the future I guess.

BimBamSmash

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
Since Apple is offering security updates for iOS 14 (very unusual of them), I am not upgrading at all. I probably can't get much out of iOS 15 on an iPhone 7+ any way. Will likely experience the new OS, or perhaps iOS 16 when I get my iPhone 14 next year.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Noooo. After iOS 14(?) I lost the ability to transfer music from iTunes to my phone. Apple’s response was that it was my fault for having a (perfectly good) old MacBook Pro and I should buy a new one. Eventually (after wiping my phone several times etc) Apple did fix it. I also lost all the exercise history and maps from the Watch app and I still cannot start music from my Apple Watch. One of the features that led me to buy an Apple Watch was to be able to search my phone music and press play without having to get my phone out. I still cannot do this unless the music was bought from Apple Music. If it is my own music or from a CD, it is there in the phone library and displayed on the watch, but won’t play. Once it’s playing I can control it but have to start playing on the phone first. I don’t use Apple Music because it changes the artwork to the wrong artwork and, if I change it back, Apple Music changes it the the wrong artwork again. e.g. they change AC/DC’s “Back in Black” to “Powerage”. It’s a shame Apple don’t have millions of dollars and thousands of employees to fix these bugs….

So ….I will wait a while before updating to iOS 15 and still probably regret it…..

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
My iPad Air 3 is on the beta from the start but I don't plan to update my other devices yet. iOS 14 runs great on my XS Max and I prefer the home layout on iPadOS 14 for my iPad Pros. I'll update when/if the extension I'm interested release for iOS 15, until then, there's not really a feature I want ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.