Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Ask yourself honestly: could or should such a town exist in the USA? And more importantly, is such a town normal in any way? Would it not make much, much more sense to simply chose to use that one store if you trust it so much, regardless of how many other stores are in town?

If you want one good store which has everything you can buy, more stores defeats that purpose. With several stores there will be exclusives.

Also people are not smart enough to know how to find new new stores and needs help navigating a store. I don't have to learn this just to help people or even for my own shopping.

There should be as little fragmentation and differentiation in the iOS world as possible.

Reactions: macsound1

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
That really does sum things up well.

Apple will continue to fight this to protect their cash cow, but at some point I expect that the lobbying will fail (in one or more States in the US or another country and then spreading) and other app stores will be forced upon them.
Interesting position considering the bill was written and heavily lobbied for by epic lobbyists. Ironic huh? Epic lobbying to control someone else’s platform they have made billions off of is good, Apple and Google lobbying to protect their right to make a fair profit on their own platforms that they paid billions to build and maintain is bad.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
This is my two cents about this, reach out to your representatives and remind them who votes.
You seem to miss that is exactly what the companies and organizations are saying. They are also reminding the representatives who votes, they say: we represent XXX voters in your district and they feel this way. This is exactly how the system is supposed to work. You statement: “reach out to your representatives” is doing exactly the same thing, but reversed. People who already share a viewpoint join an organization to represent them.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
A nice reality check for many in these forums. You have the wealth, you make the rules. It’s not changing. It’s been this way for thousands of years on this planet. Sure, there are brief periods of unrest with short duration results.
Which side are you describing as “you have wealth”? Apple and Google? What about Microsoft, Epic, Facebook, Spotify?
Get a degree in a lucrative industry and become wealthy if you want to try and move the goalposts. Otherwise you’re just sitting on the sideline complaining about those who have what you don’t.
You are much more likely to influence legislation by joining an organization whose views you share and helping them influence legislation.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Which side are you describing as “you have wealth”? Apple and Google? What about Microsoft, Epic, Facebook, Spotify?

You are much more likely to influence legislation by joining an organization whose views you share and helping them influence legislation.

Please list the organizations that are both effective and require no monetary support from their membership?

“You have wealth” is an all encompassing, universal methodology for implementing legislation in 2021.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
This issue should be decided in the US Congress not state by state.
Nah, most things that happen at the federal level start at the state level. From school standards to marijuana legalization these things rarely start at the top and work their way down.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I can get and install an app for macOS from any source. Somehow Apple (and the end user) still manages to oversee the security of the Mac.
And malware on macOS is on the rise.....People need to stop comparing iOS to desktop operating systems. The desktop OS is NOT WORKING for security. We are STILL in a Windows environment in a time where one bad email and someone falling for it can take down an entire company until backups are restored.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Imagine that you lived in a town where there was only one grocery store, from one company. Whenever people say there should be more grocery stores, you tell them to move to a different town where there are multiple stores. You say people should have the choice to live in a town where there's one store, because it reduces the risk of people buying low quality or even poisoned food.

Ask yourself honestly: could or should such a town exist in the USA? And more importantly, is such a town normal in any way? Would it not make much, much more sense to simply chose to use that one store if you trust it so much, regardless of how many other stores are in town?
Imagine that you lived in a town where there was only one source for high speed internet access, from one company. That company has nothing but problems, over charges, and silently increases your bill until you complain.

Seriously people, lets take even 10% of this effort to bring down the iOS system entirely to actually go after the most common problem we have in this country - internet service monopoly. I absolutely cannot stand Spectrum. What is my solution? Move. That is all.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Imagine that you lived in a town where there was only one grocery store, from one company. Whenever people say there should be more grocery stores, you tell them to move to a different town where there are multiple stores. You say people should have the choice to live in a town where there's one store, because it reduces the risk of people buying low quality or even poisoned food.

Your analogy is flawed because people know in advance what Android and Apple offer and it’s far easier to simply buy the phone that does what you want compared to moving to a new town. Those of us who prefer Apples approach and what it offers would be harmed by you forcing Apple to change it, we PREFER that model. If you don’t that’s ok, you can choose Android, you have always had that option. And if you want to try and convince Apple to change their mind, go for it. But forcing them to do so is wrong.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Apple's playground Apple's rules. Don't like it tuff luck there are more than enough developers to make up for the one's that don't like the rules. Hey maybe Walter will jump in on this.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Imagine that you lived in a town where there was only one grocery store, from one company.
You live in a house in a town and every one to three years you move into a different house. All your stuff is transferred automatically by movers when you move. In the town you currently live there is only one grocery store and there are only a very small set of house designs built by the one company that also runs the grocery store. That same company also provides police protection, television service, a gym, a bank, messaging, mapping, news, games, and other services, all tightly integrated.
Whenever people say there should be more grocery stores, you tell them to move to a different town where there are multiple stores.
Whenever people say there should be more grocery stores, you point out that they moved into that house, knowing there was only one grocery store, and that one of the reasons they wanted to be there was that the grocery store was better then the many grocery stores in the town next door. However, if they no longer feel that way, they can move when they normally would (when their house expires in 1-3 years), to one of the much larger variety of houses in the other town, and take advantage of all the various services, developers and companies that the other town offers. It will be super easy, as you move into a new house on a regular basis anyway.
You say people should have the choice to live in a town where there's one store, because it reduces the risk of people buying low quality or even poisoned food.
You argue that the planned community with the tight policy protection and tightly integrated services should be an option for those who want it.

Ask yourself honestly: could or should such a town exist in the USA?
Yup, there are many such towns in the U.S. They really do exist. They are planned communities, retirement/assisted living communities, and single developer housing developments.
And more importantly, is such a town normal in any way?
Yes, very normal. Often, just like iOS, people pay a lot more to live in this style of development. Gated communities are often the most expensive places in which to live.
Would it not make much, much more sense to simply chose to use that one store if you trust it so much, regardless of how many other stores are in town?
Not if by having multiple stores, I have to create accounts in many different stores, sharing my information at all of them. Not if I have to give up the level of integration as that would be prohibited by the same system. Not if it would mean that I would have to give up my privacy (as you can be sure that those who want to sell my information will only be available in the other, less scrupulous stores).

There you go. I have given an analogy much closer to the reality in which we live.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: macsound1 and I7guy

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I can get and install an app for macOS from any source. Somehow Apple (and the end user) still manages to oversee the security of the Mac.
You understand that macOS has about 7% of the market and so is not really a substantial target for malware, viruses, and other issues, and yet even there, negatives are on the rise, right? You also understand that macOS has orders of magnitude more issues than iOS despite the market share differences, right?

Reactions: macsound1 and I7guy

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Neither does digital product/service. I utilize a test taking app that I pay for outside of apple's store.
So long as you don't advertise paid functionality or link to an external payment from within the App.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
U.S. anti-trust law actually takes things like that into account. For example, there are plenty of towns/cities in the U.S. that only have a single newspaper, but that by itself isn't enough to view the newspaper as an abusive monopoly. You would need to be able to prove that they were intentionally stifling competition in some significant way, not just other publishers looking at that specific city/town market and thinking it couldn't support more than one newspaper.

Can Epic prove Apple is really stifling competition with only a single store on iOS? It depends entirely on Epic being successful in convincing judges/lawmakers that iOS has no competition other than itself as an app market. Considering that the press and tech industry have always viewed Android as a competitor to iOS, it appears to be a hard sell.
Isn't this easy to prove though? iOS isn't some small town, a better comparison might be one of the largest mega-cities on Earth. Other publishers wouldn't look at a market that size and think "it [can't] support more than one newspaper." It absolutely can. The reason there aren't more is because Apple prevents there from being more than one.

The problem, as other commenters pointed out, is that it's much easier to change phones than it is to change homes. Epic won't have trouble proving that Apple limits competition on iOS; it's just a fact. But you're right: it'll be hard to convince them that Android is a separate market as opposed to competition in the same market.
Seriously people, lets take even 10% of this effort to bring down the iOS system entirely to actually go after the most common problem we have in this country - internet service monopoly. I absolutely cannot stand Spectrum. What is my solution? Move. That is all.
Honestly, I'd love to. In my defense though, I think people have been focusing on this for a lot longer and with much more effort than they've been focusing on changing iOS. There are only 2 options where I live, and that's more than most.

Last edited:

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Anything that wins against the insane AZ legislature is something truly great indeed.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
The problem, as other commenters pointed out, is that it's much easier to change phones than it is to change homes.
That is why analogies are not particularly helpful beyond explaining a concept.
Epic won't have trouble proving that Apple limits competition on iOS; it's just a fact.
Even there it is not “just a fact”. Apple limits access to its store front, but one can still develop PWAs that can be used to deliver a very wide variety (if not most) apps.
But you're right: it'll be hard to convince them that Android is a separate market as opposed to competition in the same market.
It is probably hard because it is not a separate market. The smallest reasonable market is smart phones, but based on the Peoplesoft case, the market might include all computers (or at least laptops). An Android device serves the same purpose as an iPhone. That is not to say that every application has to be available in both ecosystems for them to be the same, just that one would be a reasonable replacement for the functions offered by the other.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Since when are dev mandated to use the in-app purchase option?

a lot of apps I use don’t utilize apple’s payment system.
Apple’s in-app purchases for anything that end up on your phone. Any method the developer likes _except Apple’s in-app purchase_ for anything in the real world.

So if I sell flowers delivered to your home -> no in-app purchase. If I sell virtual flowers that you can display in my app -> in-app purchase.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Any method the developer likes _except Apple’s in-app purchase_ for anything in the real world.
For physical goods if they want to support an Apple payment system that has the same ease of use and maintains privacy like the App Store, they can use Apple Pay (completely optional)
So if I sell flowers delivered to your home -> no in-app purchase.
But ApplePay works as an option.
If I sell virtual flowers that you can display in my app -> in-app purchase.
No ApplePay here. :)

Got it.

Last edited:

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
It probably came down to realizing how much Arizonians would have to pay to fight massive legal battles against the endless wallet that Apple has. It didn't make sense when they realized they were in over their heads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.