Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
It probably came down to realizing how much Arizonians would have to pay to fight massive legal battles against the endless wallet that Apple has.
You mean because it was plainly unconstitutional (a violation of the Commerce Clause)?
It didn't make sense when they realized they were in over their heads.
However, I doubt that any legislators made a decision on that basis. They routinely pass laws that know will not stand up in court, because it wins them points with their constituents and do not really care about the consequences to the state. I am sure they decided against this once they heard from people on the other side, they realized they were being used in a fight between giant companies and decided not to get in the middle.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Unless, maybe they create a parallel app store that is more open but they still at least vet the apps for trojans, malware, etc. Then have a different fee structure.
I suppose in the interest of fairness they would have to do more. Like supporting all the free apps on the App Store at no cost (because a large part of Apple’s 30 percent pays for all the free apps). Providing all the infrastructure like push notifications, iCloud storage and do on and so on.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Why your insistence on ApplePay? For physical items, companies can use any method they like.
Reread my original post and see how it was easy to mis understand (I have since edited it). Did not mean to imply that ApplePay was required, just clarifying that if it is a digital product it is in App purchase, and if it is a physical good, developers have the option of using ApplePay if they want to offer an Apple Payment option, that maintains privacy and ease like the App Store process.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
No. It’s like someone demanding to be allowed to open a competing mall, and being told no.

That’s anti-competitive, and Apple needs to be slapped hard for it.
In what way? If I build an Apple Mall, anyone’s free to build an Android Mall across the street or a Tizen Mall down the street or even a New-Amazing-Device-That-Would-Totally-Beat-Apple-If-Only-Companies-Focused-On-Beating-Apple-Instead-Of-Making-Apple-iOS-The-Default-Computing-Platform Mall around the corner.

It’s more like someone demanding to be allowed to open a competing mall IN a competitors mall LOL

Reactions: deevey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.