Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
The security issues are common to modern CPUs. The Spectre/Meltdown type vulnerabilities relate to speculative execution and I think that some of the recent issues relate to hyperthreading. One way to kill the hyperthreading involves turning it off. But nobody wants to give up the performance benefits of hyperthreading.

Most security flaws are related to Intel. AMD is not having serious issues like Intel and dont need to sacrifice the performance.
[doublepost=1558489168][/doublepost]
Apple could just switch to Zen.

They just cant. What about TB3 or 4? There is no way to use those in the future.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
This is untrue with Meltdown/Spectre. I have not studied AMD's chips with regard to the recent hyperthreading issues.

Wrong. AMD Ryzen does not have Meltdown flaws due to different architecture design and Spectre is also not a serious issue and AMD will solve block Spectre with 3rd gen Ryzen soon.

What about Intel? Not only Spectre and Meltdown, they also have Intel AMT security flaw(Only Intel), BrachScope, L1TF bug, Spoiler flaw, zombieload, MDS flaws, and more. There are also Spectre/Meltdown prime and Spectre NG but AMD will not have any issues after 3rd gen for 100%.
[doublepost=1558489682][/doublepost]
They can use Intel TB chips.

AMD is not able to use it. How come? It's Intel's technology and without their permission, there is no way to use it. TB chip is not even available for non-Intel CPU.

Reactions: Ulfric

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
AMD is not able to use it. How come? It's Intel's technology and without their permission, there is no way to use it. TB chip is not even available for non-Intel CPU.
There were some AM3+ motherboards years ago that had TB but they were not released because Intel would not certify them.

Even if that was still the case, Apple does not need to care.

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
There were some AM3+ motherboards years ago that had TB but they were not released because Intel would not certify them.

Even if that was still the case, Apple does not need to care.

Then we dont know if Intel allows Apple for using TB ports for ARM-based MacBook series.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I suspect AMD will be able to use it in USB4, but Intel only recently opened up Thunderbolt 3 so AMD wasn't allowed to use it to date.
The other vendors could buy the TB chips but would not get any certification, drivers, or branding from Intel.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Couldn't come fast enough. May upgrade to the 2019 MBP and use that until they come, I figure it should resell at a decent price since a lot of people may not be ready to go ARM yet. (same kinda thing as people staying on their Nvidia macs for a long time) Not sure bout the gaming stuff tho, maybe some games but there's a lot who wouldn't update their games to play on ARM for a long time if ever. (probably games I play sadly lol)

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I'm looking forward to ARM Macs because it's the only way the 12" MacBook is going to have good graphics performance.

Not only are those stuck with Intel graphics at the moment, but it's close to the lowest of the low variants.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Hi all,

I sort of agree with turbineseaplane above...I'm not sure that the problems that I'm experiencing with my 2018 MBP (WiFi disconnects, bluetooth disconnects, KPs, 5K monitor disconnects, SMB-mounted RAID disconnects, SSD file corruptions, etc.) are caused by the Apple ARM T2 processor, but it is curious that all of my 2018 MBPs problem issues are linked to or run by the T2. Thus I worry that a total Apple ARM laptop might have, at least initially, similar troubles with Apple ARM CPUs.

I am currently on essentially my fifth 2018 MBP (third CTO build and second repair job with both repairs replacing the logic board and touch ID board), and all five machines have had exactly the same problems. Over the last decade, I've bought 11 high-end CTO Macs, and the 2018 MBP is the only machine that I've had trouble with, and all 11 of these CTOs ran precise the same codes, compiled the same programs, and typeset the same TeX papers. Right now I have an iMac, a 2016 MBP, a 2015 MBP, and several PCs running Linux that compile and run my codes without any problems. My 2018 MBPs, on the other hand, suffer the errors listed above even on pristine machines (erased SSDs, freshly downloaded macOS from Apple, no other software loaded, no iCloud, no Time Machine backup restores, no personal files transferred to the 2018 MBP, nothing attached to the MBP TB3 ports) without my loading any of my code/files on the machines.

For my own uses, what I really want is reliability and speed. (Since the iMac Pros also use the T2 and the iMac Pros have been having similar problems since their introduction over a year and a half ago, and Apple has not yet fixed the iMac Pros, I won't purchase any Mac that has the T2 ever again until these issues are solved by Apple.)

The above are my own opinions...

Solouki

Last edited:

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Some people think that ARM processors are some kind of toy CPUs for gadgets. They haven’t been around long enough to know ARM began as a desktop CPU and was used in some of the earliest visual workstations like the Acorn Archimedes. Those were faster than Macs at the time.

Indeed, the ‘A’ in ARM used to be ‘Acorn’. ARM CPUs have been around for 20+ years. And British design!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some people think that ARM processors are some kind of toy CPUs for gadgets. They haven’t been around long enough to know ARM began as a desktop CPU and was used in some of the earliest visual workstations like the Acorn Archimedes. Those were faster than Macs at the time.
That was a RISC home computer, not a workstation.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Never happen. All programs we use will be worthless on an ARM MacBook. Ask Microsoft how well Windows RT worked out.

There’s a reason why ARM is on mostly embedded and power conscious computers, and X86-64 on high performance computers. Performance can’t really be compared side by side by just running tests that crunch raw numbers.

And we never really will have something that can compare the two. Since high performance ARM CPUs in mobiles tend to be SoCs whereas PCs have their components mostly separated out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.