Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
It would be amazing if Apple would upgrade our MacBook Pros with custom Motherboards with the latest CPUs, etc. If we can't afford their latest offerings. For instance, if they have an M2 for their 16" MBPs we should be able to order the new custom Motherboard without buying a new computer, you know? For environmental and wallet reasons? Upgrade all the innards keep the shell as is. Since they didn't change anything on the surface with the Air and 13" with the M1s.

Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: AAPLGeek

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
It would be amazing if Apple would upgrade our MacBook Pros with custom Motherboards with the latest CPUs, etc. If we can't afford their latest offerings. For instance, if they have an M2 for their 16" MBPs we should be able to order the new custom Motherboard without buying a new computer, you know? For environmental and wallet reasons? Upgrade all the innards keep the shell as is. Since they didn't change anything on the surface with the Air and 13" with the M1s.

Thanks.
Makes sense. The flip side is that you can just sell-recycle your entire old laptop on eBay every year. That is what I do.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

Thanks.

And how will you sell the old motherboard? It's not like you'll be able to sell that 1st generation MacBook Air 8GB 256GB board, so you're stuck with it.

And what if the new board costs, say... $499? Will your MacBook Air M1 lose $500 worth of value within a year?

If not, then what you're suggesting is actually even more expensive than just outright buying a whole brand new computer with brand new shell and brand new screen, then sell your old one at a loss.

That's basically how everyone else has been doing it.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
And how will you sell the old motherboard? It's not like you'll be able to sell that 1st generation MacBook Air 8GB 256GB board, so you're stuck with it.

And what if the new board costs, say... $499? Will your MacBook Air M1 lose $500 worth of value within a year?

If not, then what you're suggesting is actually even more expensive than just outright buying a whole brand new computer with brand new shell and brand new screen, then sell your old one at a loss.

That's basically how everyone else has been doing it.
When Apple replaces your motherboard and all components with the latest, they would of course recycle the old motherboard for you. This saves everyone money and resources as well as maybe the environment too?

If they don't always update the build of the MacBook Pros as often as they update their CPUs and GPU options RAM etc etc, then it could be cool to just send in your current MacBook Pro for a fraction of the price to update to a whole new system, right? Less waste all around?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I do sell my one year or 5 year old, near mint condition MacBook Pros, to be able to afford significant updates and upgrades. They fetch a good return because they have been kept in pristine condition with product box with accessories in mint working condition. Also buying build to order top of the line also helps keep the resale value at a really decent price. I haven't had any difficulties with that.

I was just brainstorming. If they don't update the screen or the chassis, but only the chips, why won't they offer internals only updates plus labor. Then they could repurpose current innards you sent in, towards their reduced price to clearance refurb$ ?

Their trade in values are decent for the highest possible configuration build to order machines, true.

If I paid say, 4000 to 5000 for my build to order, then after 2 to 5 years people would gladly pay 2200 to 3000 in my track record, for a pristine machine. That is then reinvested in the next maxed out machine, should I need or feel so much desire to upgrade.

Hakan439

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020

Thanks.

I wonder whether is it possible to change logic boards? Internals seems very close :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If I paid say, 4000 to 5000 for my build to order, then after 2 to 5 years people would gladly pay 2200 to 3000 in my track record, for a pristine machine. That is then reinvested in the next maxed out machine, should I need or feel so much desire to upgrade.

I could definitely see 2200. If they're paying 3000 on a machine you bought at 4000, they're paying too much. They could probably do better by hitting up a more recent configuration in Apple's refurbished section, depending on where you're at.

You would still lose less on a base model though if selling in 1-2 years. Overall though, if you can keep things in that pristine of condition, you probably aren't even using that laptop as a laptop and could save more using an imac or similar.

Reactions: Maximara

viciousdave

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
Minnesota
I just bought a macbook pro M1 8GB ram, 512 GB SSD. I'm worried about battery power. Yes I know it works 20 hours unplugged on battery which is great. However I'm worried about life expextancy. I use iMovie and browse the web and youtube upload. I use it about 6 to 9 hours a day. So my question is how many years will the baterry last before it dies?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Are there any rumours about redesign?
i just sold my 13" 2018 to get an M1.
I also have a Mini i7, which will also get sold if M1 can outperform it, and will then wait for a beefier M1x/M2 Mini.
Just wonder if i should wait till January (i guess until live-shows start again i can be without laptop)

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
then it could be cool to just send in your current MacBook Pro for a fraction of the price to update to a whole new system, right?

That's already possible, though:

PikgOKw.png

I mean... Apple's prices for trade-in aren't great (unless your device is years old), but what you're suggesting has already been there for a while.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I just bought a macbook pro M1 8GB ram, 512 GB SSD. I'm worried about battery power. Yes I know it works 20 hours unplugged on battery which is great. However I'm worried about life expextancy. I use iMovie and browse the web and youtube upload. I use it about 6 to 9 hours a day. So my question is how many years will the baterry last before it dies?
I have the MBP 15" mid2014 still good battery but 99% use it at home plug to AC

jiholl

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Question...if one has installed, say Office 365 on M1...the Rosetta version...and then Office 365 Universal...or specifically for M1 becomes availalbe...what will be the process of uninstalling the Rosetta version....just wondering thanks

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
You just drag it into Trash and empty your Trash, then drag the new universal app into your Applications folder.

Rosetta 2 is transparent. You won't see anything special with it. Your Intel apps and universal apps should "just work" and you shouldn't notice any difference at all aside from the names.

viciousdave

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
Minnesota
You just drag it into Trash and empty your Trash, then drag the new universal app into your Applications folder.

Rosetta 2 is transparent. You won't see anything special with it. Your Intel apps and universal apps should "just work" and you shouldn't notice any difference at all aside from the names.
Yup that's how easy apple makes it's os.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Today i got the MBP 16" i9 intel 64GB ram 1 TB SSD AMD 5600M just wander shall I update to BIG SUR or stay with Catalina

viciousdave

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
Minnesota
So you got the most recent latest macbook pro 16 inch? If so than big sur will work fine with it. But the OS after that will more than likely start with the can't run this program M1, 2, required.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Apple will support Intel based Macs for a few more years. So will developers. You should be fine if you bought an Intel based Mac today for years to come. There might be a few features that you won't see in some apps that might be Apple Silicon specific, but if you require Intel apps and Windows/Linux compatibility right now, you need Intel.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Man, if you removed the trailing zero, that's how much Apple would pay me in a trade-in if I wanted to bring in my sagging Late 2013 rMBP.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
not just that i just wonder if that big sur has all the drivers for example the GPU 5600M
Given that would fall under the supported hardware it should:

MacBook (2015 or later)
MacBook Air (2013 or later)
MacBook Pro (Late 2013 or later)
Mac mini (2014 or later)
iMac (2014 or later)
iMac Pro (2017 or later)
Mac Pro (2013 or later)

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Apple will support Intel based Macs for a few more years. So will developers. You should be fine if you bought an Intel based Mac today for years to come. There might be a few features that you won't see in some apps that might be Apple Silicon specific, but if you require Intel apps and Windows/Linux compatibility right now, you need Intel.
Very true. Apple supported PowerPC up to 5 years after the last one they made and even provided an optional download for those who wanted to continue to use Rosetta 1 though the last patch to Snow Leopard stomped on that option.

Though given how fast and powerful the M1 is I suspect the transition will be far faster on the developer side then it was with the PowerPC to Intel transition.

On a side note I find it interesting people talk about Intel and AMD catching up but this ignores a key factor in the M1's speed - it isn't just hardware but software as well. The PC market is just to fragmented for that to be possible as demonstrated by Microsoft's lack luster (in terms of speed) x86 support on ARM Windows.

The reality is x86 is at the end of its usefulness. Sure AMD will be able squeeze more out of it while Intel basicly flounders but they will get into the same trap Intel is in - the only improvement is more cores which means more power which means more heat. ARM already dominated and it is only due to legacy software that the x86 continues to lumber on.

viciousdave

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
Minnesota
Very true. Apple supported PowerPC up to 5 years after the last one they made and even provided an optional download for those who wanted to continue to use Rosetta 1 though the last patch to Snow Leopard stomped on that option.

Though given how fast and powerful the M1 is I suspect the transition will be far faster on the developer side then it was with the PowerPC to Intel transition.

On a side note I find it interesting people talk about Intel and AMD catching up but this ignores a key factor in the M1's speed - it isn't just hardware but software as well. The PC market is just to fragmented for that to be possible as demonstrated by Microsoft's lack luster (in terms of speed) x86 support on ARM Windows.

The reality is x86 is at the end of its usefulness. Sure AMD will be able squeeze more out of it while Intel basicly flounders but they will get into the same trap Intel is in - the only improvement is more cores which means more power which means more heat. ARM already dominated and it is only due to legacy software that the x86 continues to lumber on.
And with that, microsoft will not change at all due to they want full backwards compatability with old apps that were made for windows 95 to windows 10. If Microsoft changed there coding and the whole OS than people would complain constantly oh my old game won't work anymore or this old program. Apple has got microsoft by the horns.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I was just thinking this. It’ll be like “This application has been optimized for Apple Silicon. It will run on Intel based systems, but the performance will suffer.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.