Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
given that adaptative rr is already implemented on ipad and iphones with a1x chips ,in how long do you guys think we should expect to see 120hz w/ promotion to come on macs ?

i assume they'll come to the pros first ,tho im almost sure it wont be that year..perhaps next year ?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
given that adaptative rr is already implemented on ipad and iphones with a1x chips ,in how long do you guys think we should expect to see 120hz w/ promotion to come on macs ?

i assume they'll come to the pros first ,tho im almost sure it wont be that year..perhaps next year ?
Monday, if the rumours are to be believed.

Reactions: Starlock

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Well the rumors yesterday say that they could come to the MacBook Pros set to be announced Monday.

Hal0

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021

A display supply chain consultant whose leaker score on another website is 100 made a post the other day saying it was expected on this year's MacBook pro lineup so I'm looking forward to it

Last edited:

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
thanks.i still doubt it because there seem to be enough changes for this time and time cook usually is very conservative
I used to think this, and it may be right. Though there is something to be said about Apple wanting to dominate the market. Extremely powerful laptop chip, miniLED, HDMI/SD ports, better facetime camera, and ProMotion - that would arguably be the best laptop on the market. Apple would absolutely dominate.

Hal0

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
thanks.i still doubt it because there seem to be enough changes for this time and time cook usually is very conservative
The 2021 MacBook Pro is their killer notebook which finally revolves around apple silicon instead of last year's pilot test with an aged chassis. It's almost like an inflection point in more than one aspect

Reactions: Spanther

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I used to think this, and it may be right. Though there is something to be said about Apple wanting to dominate the market. Extremely powerful laptop chip, miniLED, HDMI/SD ports, better facetime camera, and ProMotion - that would arguably be the best laptop on the market. Apple would absolutely dominate.
I hear that but isn't m1x with super power + effeciency ,as well as mini-led display with up to 1600nits of brightness,be enough to dominate already?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
The 2021 MacBook Pro is their killer notebook which finally revolves around apple silicon instead of last year's pilot test with an aged chassis. It's almost like an inflection point in more than one aspect
So? What's your point ?

Contradicting me on what I said about Tim cook? Or is it an argument that this complete change may allow pro motion to fit in? I don't gotcha

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I hear that but isn't m1x with super power + effeciency ,as well as mini-led display with up to 1600nits of brightness,be enough to dominate already?
Sure but people would still complain and compare it to other laptops that have high refresh rates. If they did add ProMotion apple could say without much exaggeration that this laptop is the best laptop in the world right now and they would arguably be right. It still would be an amazing laptop without it too.

Hal0

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
So? What's your point ?

Contradicting me on what I said about Tim cook? Or is it an argument that this complete change may allow pro motion to fit in? I don't gotcha
I don't get how you came to the conclusion that I'm somehow trying to contradict you on something I too believe sometimes. Anyways, my point is this: holding off on promotion would be an extremely dumb decision for apple as this new mac is supposed to be their dominant notebook. Like they've changed everything else and spreading it out over two or more years wouldn't make sense from any standpoint

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
holding off on promotion would be an extremely dumb decision for apple
It's very possible looking at Apple's track record with the previous generation notebooks. Apple will announce a new design in X, but they want people to buy the updated revision revision in Y. We saw this many times such as the October 2008 MacBook Pro event; New design, people wanted better screen, waited till 2009 to get it.

I do think that 16" will have ProMotion this year though, 14" probably not. If it's a "replacement" for the 4-port 13", then I doubt we will see ProMotion on it.

Hal0

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
I do think that 16" will have ProMotion this year though, 14" probably not. If it's a "replacement" for the 4-port 13", then I doubt we will see ProMotion on it.
At this point I'm just praying for full feature parity due to the fact that it's definitely coming to the 16 inch version,

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I don't get how you came to the conclusion that I'm somehow trying to contradict you on something I too believe sometimes. Anyways, my point is this: holding off on promotion would be an extremely dumb decision for apple as this new mac is supposed to be their dominant notebook. Like they've changed everything else and spreading it out over two or more years wouldn't make sense from any standpoint
I thought u were pointing out the new macs will be a revolution, contradicting the "Tim cook is conservative" ,but nevermind ,:)

Gotcha ,hear what you're saying here.all good arguments, we'll see next week.

Ruftzooi

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2021
Well, if it's not coming with the next MacBook Pro's then at the very least, with official support for adaptive sync coming in Monterey, soon it will be possible to get the closest thing to "Pro-Motion" with one of the many available FreeSync™ monitors connected as external display.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Well, if it's not coming with the next MacBook Pro's then at the very least, with official support for adaptive sync coming in Montery, soon it will be possible to get the closest thing to "Pro-Motion" with one of the many available FreeSync™ monitors connected as external display.

The addition of adaptive sync suggests that Apple has something up their sleeves in this space in the near future. The XDR display came with more general HDR monitor support in macOS. 120Hz seems a little less certain to me, but I honestly hope they do it.

If it comes this year, it probably won’t be quite as fleshed out as in iOS with apps being able to specify frame rates they want, but still at least provides the foundation for it which can be built on with later releases. So far the only functionality demonstrated with Monterey has been adaptive refresh for games. No talk about how it handles video for example. That makes me a little pessimistic, since having perfect cadence while working with video projects in FCP and the like seems like one of the best uses for it.

Reactions: Ruftzooi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.