Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Looks like the vikings are officially and a trailer comes tomorrow!

Reactions: Weaselboy

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Although I am excited about this game, it has caused a bit of a dilemma for me.

Xbox has announced a feature called Smart Delivery, and this game is a participant. Apparently that means that purchasers will get a free upgrade to the next gen version.

Initially, I was bummed that no such feature has been announced yet for PlayStation, but then I realized that even if it were, that wouldn’t fix the problem for me. I simply have no interest in playing the same game twice in a row.

So the way I see it, really the only smart move is to wait for next gen versions regardless of pricing schemes.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It's not great and I cannot wait until gaming studios can exclusively develop and optimise for new gen consoles.
Yeah Beyond3d is speculating that the developer tools for Sx and SS were not complete until August, so these first round games are going to be rough. It also neatly explains Halo’s delay.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yeah Beyond3d is speculating that the developer tools for Sx and SS were not complete until August, so these first round games are going to be rough. It also neatly explains Halo’s delay.
Even if they had access to the developer tool kit in August, it's difficult to optimise for a console until the hardware and software is final.

Most titles for the XSX and PS5 are effectively just running in backwards compatability for Xbone and PS4.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Even if they had access to the developer tool kit in August, it's difficult to optimise for a console until the hardware and software is final.

Most titles for the XSX and PS5 are effectively just running in backwards compatability for Xbone and PS4.

Im in the gaming industry and work for a AAA dev house. Next generation dev kits have been out to several studios for much longer than August.

There is no rush to develop exclusively for next gen for many reasons. But most notably the install base for current gen will far exceed next gen for at least all of 2021. Additionally there is no port dev. This generation of consoles is much like going from an Xbox One to One X or PS Pro dev wise. The SDK, build environments, and APIs are virtually the same.

The Xbox One and PS4 will stop receiving new titles when developers are no longer able to create the experience they want given hardware limitations. I don’t foresee that happening for awhile.

console development of the past where significant architecture changes, in particular the media used for games, are not a big issue. It’s much like gaming on a PC.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Im in the gaming industry and work for a AAA dev house. Next generation dev kits have been out to several studios for much longer than August.

There is no rush to develop exclusively for next gen for many reasons. But most notably the install base for current gen will far exceed next gen for at least all of 2021. Additionally there is no port dev. This generation of consoles is much like going from an Xbox One to One X or PS Pro dev wise. The SDK, build environments, and APIs are virtually the same.

The Xbox One and PS4 will stop receiving new titles when developers are no longer able to create the experience they want given hardware limitations. I don’t foresee that happening for awhile.

console development of the past where significant architecture changes, in particular the media used for games, are not a big issue. It’s much like gaming on a PC.
Are you guys using the XDK or the GDK? From what is being said over at B3D the GDK wasnt feature complete until “recently” (July?). It makes it look like current XSX games are not native but rather “XOX Enhanced”.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Price has dropped to $48 on Amazon for Black Friday if you were thinking about getting it.
30min ago I bought AC Origin's on Xbox for £10 in the black Friday sale. It's an 80% discount.

The game will be my first ever AC game and my first proper open world RPG game. If I like it, I'll happily buy valhalla on disc in a few months time.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
30min ago I bought AC Origin's on Xbox for £10 in the black Friday sale. It's an 80% discount.

The game will be my first ever AC game and my first proper open world RPG game. If I like it, I'll happily buy valhalla on disc in a few months time.
That's similar to what I did with Odyssey. I paid $25 for it.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I got back in with Origins, which I picked up at a ridiculously high discount, and really loved it, so when Odyssey was in discount: same tactic. Didn’t wait with Valhalla, but for this game I am waiting for the proper PS5-patch since I’m reading loads of complaints on bugs with the audio among other things. So hoping all this stuff is fixed by the the time the PS5-patch hits and then I’m digging in. (If I ever find the time with CyberPunk 2077 hitting the shelves in less than two weeks)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I got back in with Origins, which I picked up at a ridiculously high discount, and really loved it, so when Odyssey was in discount: same tactic. Didn’t wait with Valhalla, but for this game I am waiting for the proper PS5-patch since I’m reading loads of complaints on bugs with the audio among other things. So hoping all this stuff is fixed by the the time the PS5-patch hits and then I’m digging in. (If I ever find the time with CyberPunk 2077 hitting the shelves in less than two weeks)
Have the bugs you read about not been sorted by the recent patch for Valhalla?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Have the bugs you read about not been sorted by the recent patch for Valhalla?
They might, but can't start Valhalla 9 days before CP2077 gets released, cause those Vikings would get booted into the "games to finish later" folder faster than you can say Night City three times ;-)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
They might, but can't start Valhalla 9 days before CP2077 gets released, cause those Vikings would get booted into the "games to finish later" folder faster than you can say Night City three times ;-)
Haha This is why I like buying games both discs and digital at 70-80% discount.

I feel less guilty or remorseful if I don't finish the game or 70% into it say "meh, I don't want to play this anymore".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.