Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burrzoo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
I'm anxiously waiting for this to happen as well. I reset my network settings today to see if I would pick up 5G (since I wasn't seeing the icon otherwise).
No luck yet. Wouldn't be surprised if we aren't notified and just start seeing it on our 5G capable phones.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I'm anxiously waiting for this to happen as well. I reset my network settings today to see if I would pick up 5G (since I wasn't seeing the icon otherwise).
No luck yet. Wouldn't be surprised if we aren't notified and just start seeing it on our 5G capable phones.
You may need a new SIM card. Are you using the white one that came with your phone?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

burrzoo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
You may need a new SIM card. Are you using the white one that came with your phone?
I'm using an ancient SIM. I don't think I'll need one but if I have to get it, I will. My 3-year old T-Mo SIM provides 5G on both of my unlocked phones. I'll have to wait and see!

Reactions: Dopestar

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I'm using an ancient SIM. I don't think I'll need one but if I have to get it, I will. My 3-year old T-Mo SIM provides 5G on both of my unlocked phones. I'll have to wait and see!
You'll need a new SIM if you want 5G.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I’m in NYC where ATT 5G is scare at best
MMWave 5G is in its infancy and appears to be years off till its reasonably obtainable ..(FACT)
If you do come across 5G using it depletes your battery quickly
It’s great to see ATT adding something to your plan that is not readily available

Reactions: Dopestar

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
You might need a new SIM and you might not. I say that because when I upgraded my wife's phone (took her from a 6S to a 12), I took the SIM out of her old phone and put it into her new one and she has 5G. And I think that is because the plan we are on has 5G included. I have heard of people getting a new SIM but the older plan they are on doesn't include 5G and they never saw it, and when they changed plans which included 5G, they suddenly have it. It may have more to do with the backend with AT&T on how it looks at the plans. I'd be willing to bet that once all these older plans have 5G added to the accounts on the backend, you will get a text notifying you that you have it and you will probably see it.

Reactions: burrzoo

burrzoo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
You might need a new SIM and you might not. I say that because when I upgraded my wife's phone (took her from a 6S to a 12), I took the SIM out of her old phone and put it into her new one and she has 5G. And I think that is because the plan we are on has 5G included. I have heard of people getting a new SIM but the older plan they are on doesn't include 5G and they never saw it, and when they changed plans which included 5G, they suddenly have it. It may have more to do with the backend with AT&T on how it looks at the plans. I'd be willing to bet that once all these older plans have 5G added to the accounts on the backend, you will get a text notifying you that you have it and you will probably see it.
I think you are spot on with your thinking!

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
We could have kept our sim cards and tried that. During a pandemic I felt it better, for us, to just get new sim cards and remove all possible issues with transferring sim cards this time. It has worked for us.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
Anybody received the 5G yet? Eagerly waiting.

Just noticed it today. I didn’t receive a text or email, but I now have the 5G icon and the option for 5G under cellular:). I didn’t have to do anything with my SIM card and I have had it for years.

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Just noticed it today. I didn’t receive a text or email, but I now have the 5G icon and the option for 5G under cellular:). I didn’t have to do anything with my SIM card and I have had it for years.
Did you have to do anything like reset network settings? I’m on the Unlimited and More Premium and still have 5Ge

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Update: Just message the Wireless Technical Support and ask them to ReProvision your device to support 5G. Just did it and I’m all set!

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
Did you have to do anything like reset network settings? I’m on the Unlimited and More Premium and still have 5Ge

I didn’t do anything, didn’t even turn off my phone. Just looked down today and noticed it. I have the original Unlimited Plan (it’s just called Unlimited Plan).

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Your carrier adding 5G to your plan doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get it. Even people in large cities are not seeing it consistly
Any when you see it it’s slower than 4G LTE

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
Your carrier adding 5G to your plan doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get it. Even people in large cities are not seeing it consistly
Any when you see it it’s slower than 4G LTE

Absolutely true, but it is good to see it enabled. BTW, I’m on vacation in a small town in Utah and I’m getting 5G. Not killer speeds but 150MB down compared to 70MB on LTE. Just did a test. :)

Reactions: Snide and Beelzbub

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
Got new phones and was advised we should get new sim cards to be sure.
that is good to know, I just purchased an iphone 12 for my mom and was thinking that I only had to switch the sim card (older iphone to the newer one). A new card would be required to optimize 5G if there is any in my area.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Until you’re a mile out of the city and you’re begging for even a bar of signal on TMobile.
totally incorrect. Tmobile is much better in the city or outside the city. I am talking about Utah/CA/Washington DC/VA/NC

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
totally incorrect. Tmobile is much better in the city or outside the city. I am talking about Utah/CA/Washington DC/VA/NC
Even in the city, I took two identical phones. One on TMobile, one on AT&T. And the speeds and coverage of AT&T were leagues ahead. I am talking about the South Florida region.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
looks like its only on personal plans. as my wife's phone is through her work and they have some old plan and I just reset her network settings and she didnt get 5G on it!

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Even in the city, I took two identical phones. One on TMobile, one on AT&T. And the speeds and coverage of AT&T were leagues ahead. I am talking about the South Florida region.
may be in south Florida. but all the places I mentioned above Tmobile has been much better. 5G here in Utah I am getting 6xxish down!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.