Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
ATT’s 5 G is not mmWave. The speed is just slightly better than 4G LTE So dont knock yourself out

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
ATT’s 5 G is not mmWave. The speed is just slightly better than 4G LTE So dont knock yourself out

AT&T has mmWave 5G. It is just in very select areas right now.

My "normal" 5G puts up quite impressive speeds, however, it is very inconsistent. I can go from a couple hundred megs down and 75-100 up, then run a test 5 minutes later and it is 40 down and 15 up.

Network congestion, towers, others things causing it? I have no clue.

:apple:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
AT&T has mmWave 5G. It is just in very select areas right now.

My "normal" 5G puts up quite impressive speeds, however, it is very inconsistent. I can go from a couple hundred megs down and 75-100 up, then run a test 5 minutes later and it is 40 down and 15 up.

Network congestion, towers, others things causing it? I have no clue.

:apple:

This is typical for Low Band 5G. The US is at least another year+ until low band 5G is near todays LTE. Much of the issues are in the conversion process on the towers removing the old 3G network and adding the 5G capacity (switching.) It's one tower at a time.

Congestion issues have always been an issue with any signal if there are not enough towers.

The entire 5G conversation has been over hyped by carriers to an obscene degree. My only interest in my interactions with AT&T were to ensure they delivered on their promise to add the capability to Grandfathered Plans for Loyalty Customers such as myself.

Which they did. I'll be on LTE around my area as the 5G is minimal at best for at least until Feb 2022.

Reactions: burrzoo and SRLMJ23

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
may be in south Florida. but all the places I mentioned above Tmobile has been much better. 5G here in Utah I am getting 6xxish down!

Maybe for you, but I’m in Washington, DC and Verizon has proven to be faster and better than my daughter’s iPhone 11. I used her phone for a few days along with mine to test them out, and Verizon worked better in more spots than T-Mobile. T-Mobile is good here in DC but not better than Verizon. I also have service in some spots that her phone lost.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Maybe for you, but I’m in Washington, DC and Verizon has proven to be faster and better than my daughter’s iPhone 11. I used her phone for a few days along with mine to test them out, and Verizon worked better in more spots than T-Mobile. T-Mobile is good here in DC but not better than Verizon. I also have service in some spots that her phone lost.

Verizon is expensive as well. I will take Tmobile over Verizon for 30/month/line only!

Reactions: Ram65

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
But the better Quality network Verizon provides over T-Mobile
not for me. I was literally camping last week in Flaming Gorge and my peers who had Verizon had no service while I had 5G service. so for me T-Mobile > Verizon!

burrzoo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
not for me. I was literally camping last week in Flaming Gorge and my peers who had Verizon had no service while I had 5G service. so for me T-Mobile > Verizon!
You are so lucky! Great coverage & speeds with T-Mo. I'm in Montana & T-Mo is pretty much the "new kid in town." Still building out their network here. AT&T is OK but Verizon is king here. I've never used Verizon but all of my Family does.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Verizon is expensive as well. I will take Tmobile over Verizon for 30/month/line only!

My bill is just a few dollars more than my T-Mobile bill I had and that’s with the government discount I had with T-Mobile. As long as the service is great and work everywhere I go, I will pay no matter the price. If T-Mobile worked better for me, I would’ve stayed with them.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
You are so lucky! Great coverage & speeds with T-Mo. I'm in Montana & T-Mo is pretty much the "new kid in town." Still building out their network here. AT&T is OK but Verizon is king here. I've never used Verizon but all of my Family does.

Montana !!!!!! Please give me some inside information on Yellowstone Season 4. My wife has been on a rampage since Season 4 didn’t happen in June. ????

Reactions: burrzoo

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I recently upgraded to an unlimited plan on AT&T (for other reasons), and I immediately noticed that 5G was enabled. I also immediately noticed that AT&T 5G around my area (Boston suburbs) is garbage, so I turned it off and went back to using LTE. The 5G consistently has trouble connecting at ANY speed, let alone fast speeds. LTE is much more stable for me.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I wish AT&T would let customers test out their network via eSim like T-Mobile. I’ve never had AT&T so I wouldn’t know how they are in my area.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Att will get better in your area they still Building out FirstNet . The network has to solid for the first responders

burrzoo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Montana !!!!!! Please give me some inside information on Yellowstone Season 4. My wife has been on a rampage since Season 4 didn’t happen in June.
Haha! I'm not watching the show. I started to (& love Kevin Costner) but just didn't get into it....yet!

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.