Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IpadEric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Go to facebook and look at comments. Don't know if I believe the rep but he did confirm we are grandfathered and can stop and start at will and keep plan as long as we purchased by June 7

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Go to facebook and look at comments. Don't know if I believe the rep but he did confirm we are grandfathered and can stop and start at will and keep plan as long as we purchased by June 7

I am really surprised at that.

Here's an idea...you be the first one to test it, OK? :p

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
If this turns out to be true I wonder if you have to have the plan on the 7th. I let it lapse after my first month ended a few days ago.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009

Well, somebody's going to be fired if it isn't true.

The situation is ridiculous. A PR nightmare. Too little time to get correct information out to the public.

There are conflicting statements from ATT press releases, comments to reporters, in-store and telephone reps, reps on social media, etc.

There's gotta be some good story here. The timing certainly is suspect. What is REALLY going on? It doesn't sound like it was thought-out in advance, and perhaps that's what we're supposed to think - ATT got blindsided by unexpected traffic had to cancel their previous plans in a hurry.
That's the only plausible explanation that doesn't lead to a strong suspicion of an preconceived intent to mislead.

kutsushita

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Houston

The situation is ridiculous. A PR nightmare. Too little time to get correct information out to the public.

There are conflicting statements from ATT press releases, comments to reporters, in-store and telephone reps, reps on social media, etc.

There's gotta be some good story here. The timing certainly is suspect. What is REALLY going on? It doesn't sound like it was thought-out in advance, and perhaps that's what we're supposed to think - ATT got blindsided by unexpected traffic had to cancel their previous plans in a hurry.
That's the only plausible explanation that doesn't lead to a strong suspicion of an preconceived intent to mislead.

I'm wondering if they thought iPad sales weren't going to be as strong as they are and freaked out at the large number of people signing up for 3G literally over night.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
You can be sure AT&T was prepared to handle as many iPads as Apple had to sell. Those types of decisions aren't made overnight.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I don't see what you guys are all confused about. I'm not even an AT&T customer and I understand the new policy.

Basically if your sim is activated by the cut off you will have the ability to purchase unlimited 3g for life. If it's after the cut off you will only be able to purhase the 2gb max.

Any ipad ordered before the cutoff will be able to activate and use the unlimited package as they understand there is supply issues.

What's so confusing?

IpadEric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I don't see what you guys are all confused about. I'm not even an AT&T customer and I understand the new policy.

Basically if your sim is activated by the cut off you will have the ability to purchase unlimited 3g for life. If it's after the cut off you will only be able to purhase the 2gb max.

Any ipad ordered before the cutoff will be able to activate and use the unlimited package as they understand there is supply issues.

What's so confusing?

The key question is the right to stop and start the prepaid unlimited plan as Jobs touted.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The plan can be started and stopped at any time. Unlimited will still be avalible.

Every artical states the same quoted information from AT&T saying existing customers can continue as they are. If you want the new service you can opt in or stay as you are.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I hope the start and stop portion is true, but it directly contradicts what was stated through normal official channels yesterday.

Which "normal official channels" stated that you could not stop and restart the unlimited plan yesterday?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

I have mentioned elsewhere that folks love the words - unlimited or free. The 2GB limit IMO will serve most folks, as others have said as well.

You may have a strong point in that AT&T saw a rise in 3G traffic with the iPad and had to make changes to the "unlimited" plan....

I have had my iPhone 1G for almost three years now... and maybe have used 90-95MB a month over the life of the phone... but then I am on Edge not 3G so I held back on streaming apps - save for a few YouTube videos.

With my iPad 3G I went with the 250MB plan, and only used maybe 180MB prior to that plan expiring yesterday. Upgraded to the unlimited to be grandfathered in - just in case. :eek: But with that plan I nursed those 250MB to the max though.... Only used 3G when absolutely needed.. stayed away from any sort of GPS type of mapping... (going to try that for my drive in to work tomorrow - for the full ride - Google Maps).

With that in mind I have tried to do a worst case torture test with the unlimited service. Never tried to watch a video on lets say ABC's App (did a test of CougarTown - and it came in at 150MB IIRC). Tried updating some apps... but they told me I needed wifi. Even tried downloading the new VW app (350MB) and was denied on 3G!

Now one of the updates was to the Elements App... not sure that I would have wanted to try that one on 3G or even 4G LOL But the point I am trying to make here is that there are users out there that have no need for a full blown computer and HS internet costs in their home.

The appeal of unlimited access appealed to those users. As of right now I am maybe 300MB total usage over a couple of days so far under my torture test. Keep in mind the network TV season is pretty much over. And I can't see the iPad replacing my current GPS as of yet. Streaming audio.. only did a few times on my iPhone. But then I was on Edge at the time... So that may change as well...

For those that I might be abusing the offer of unlimited access. I am doing this one month only to see how I might end up using it. Do have to say that it is nice not having to go to an AT&T Hotspot to save on the the 250MB limit of my first plan.

The last couple of days have been nice being able to eat at work on the cheap... as opposed to going out to places that that AT&T has a hotspot or looking for a free wifi connection.

My other thought is that AT&T is worried as iPhone OS 4 hits with multi-tasking and the drain on the network. It appears that my download of updates were suspended when I went to IM+ or any other app...

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
If you scroll down on the facebook page, you'll notice that AT+T corrected themselves and said you need auto-renew on in order to keep the unlimited ability..they've been saying that for days...if you start and stop you'll end up on the 2gb plan:(

Mike Oxsaw

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
If you scroll down on the facebook page, you'll notice that AT+T corrected themselves and said you need auto-renew on in order to keep the unlimited ability..they've been saying that for days...if you start and stop you'll end up on the 2gb plan:(

I had my suspicions about keeping on start stop. Were they going to send those grandfathered in to a whole different plan choice page when they went to sign up again? Or were they going to tell all new customers that they couldn't have the $30 unlimited option?

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Check the Facebook link again. The AT&T rep backtracked and "clarified" that you will have to auto renew each month in order to keep the unlimited plan. So there is no starting on the unlimited plan then "pausing" for a month or more, then going back to unlimited. Not gonna happen.

And yes, this has to rank as one of the worst PR disasters ever. Actually more than a PR problem really.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
And yes, this has to rank as one of the worst PR disasters ever. Actually more than a PR problem really.

Um, I thought the price dropping on the original iPhone by $200 or, GASP, the "ships by late April" fiascos were the biggest disasters ever. Face it...time moves on and people do too. This will be a non-story in less than six months.

Mike Oxsaw

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Um, I thought the price dropping on the original iPhone by $200 or, GASP, the "ships by late April" fiascos were the biggest disasters ever. Face it...time moves on and people do too. This will be a non-story in less than six months.

What, changing the way America pays to get to the internet to metered usage will be a non-story? Riiiiggggghhhhttttt.

This is step 1 only. Other networks will follow, Cable and other land providers already trying to push metered usage.

The end of widespread unlimited internet use is not a fuss over a delivery date.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
http://www.facebook.com/ATT?v=wall&story_fbid=402167238908

Just one of a few links where the question was confirmed.

Later in that thread the same rep said:

Hi, to clarify, you can keep the unlimited plan as long at it's set to auto-renew.

Which means you can't start and stop it.

It was a non-contract service, of course price and limits were going to change over time. It sucks that they did it right away, but the idea they are giving to give people $30 lifetime unlimited for the iPad that they could turn on and off as they like is absurd and is not going to happen.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
What, changing the way America pays to get to the internet to metered usage will be a non-story? Riiiiggggghhhhttttt.

This is step 1 only. Other networks will follow, Cable and other land providers already trying to push metered usage.

The end of widespread unlimited internet use is not a fuss over a delivery date.

And by "America" you mean the 5% (let's be generous) of users who use 90% of the bandwidth who will pay more, not less than they do now, right? Yeah...thought so.

FYI...back in the early to mid-90s we did pay metered rates--hourly to be exact, happily, for internet access via AOL. I had bills upwards of $250 some months. Good times!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.