Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxsaw

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
And by "America" you mean the 5% (let's be generous) of users who use 90% of the bandwidth who will pay more, not less than they do now, right? Yeah...thought so.

FYI...back in the early to mid-90s we did pay metered rates--hourly to be exact, happily, for internet access to AOL. I had bills upwards of $250 some months. Good times!

Yeah..... I think most people know that and were glad when it went away.

And this doesn't affect me personally as I'm way under 2GB, for now - but this is a change to the entire system and is more about the future rather than what you have now.

You're being sold a crock and buying into the marketing spin that tries to cover up the fact that their 'revolutionary' data plan of unlimited use for $30 with no contract lasted less than a month.

People bought 3G ipads after being told there was this great new pricing plan - the fact that ATT ran away from this in less than a month is really little more than a bait and switch.

Roll over everybody - ATT is telling you they're doing this for YOUR benefit.

It's also going to be bad for the economy is the long run. Communications infrastructure plays a key role in development and economic growth, and we're going to see charges for this go up, stifling growth in other areas.

It's the start of a game-changer - but ATT and the others will spend a few million on lobbying, run a few commercials and a media campaign, and the naive will be convinced this is being done for them.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah..... I think most people know that and were glad when it went away.

And this doesn't affect me personally as I'm way under 2GB, for now - but this is a change to the entire system and is more about the future rather than what you have now.

You're being sold a crock and buying into the marketing spin that tries to cover up the fact that their 'revolutionary' data plan of unlimited use for $30 with no contract lasted less than a month.

People bought 3G ipads after being told there was this great new pricing plan - the fact that ATT ran away from this in less than a month is really little more than a bait and switch.

Roll over everybody - ATT is telling you they're doing this for YOUR benefit.

The market will not tolerate Sustained high prices for internet usage. This is 2010. What may now be a rise in prices for some is a minor upward movement on a graph that is still trending downward. Competition ensures prices will fall--in electronics and communications it always does. This time will be no different. You'll see. No biggie.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
<snip>
And yes, this has to rank as one of the worst PR disasters ever. Actually more than a PR problem really.

I agree... can't wait to see how all this plays out. Less than a month that 3G iPads have been shipping - and many more waiting here in the US - all on the promise of unlimited 3G for $30 a month!

I can see maybe why things like the iPad cost so much with lawsuits being filed maybe... :(

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree... can't wait to see how all this plays out. Less than a month that 3G iPads have been shipping - and many more waiting here in the US - all on the promise of unlimited 3G for $30 a month!

I can see maybe why things like the iPad cost so much with lawsuits being filed maybe... :(

Really? That's why you bought your 3G iPad???

No contract = no valid lawsuits.

Game over.

Plenty of people will continue to buy 3G ipads and plenty of people will benefit from the price changes.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
What, changing the way America pays to get to the internet to metered usage will be a non-story? Riiiiggggghhhhttttt.

This is step 1 only. Other networks will follow, Cable and other land providers already trying to push metered usage.

The end of widespread unlimited internet use is not a fuss over a delivery date.

You have a strong point. Here in the US profits are good, and public good is bad. Never a good balance between them it seems. :( Now that they have us hooked on content we are screwed.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California

Game over.

Plenty of people will continue to buy 3G ipads and plenty of people will benefit from the price changes.

Well, not exactly on both counts

First of all, there was/is a contract that you agree to when you first sign up for the service in the form of AT&T's terms of service. I don't remember what it said, I never read those things and most people never do. They just click agree and move on. It's very likely, however, that there is a clause in the terms of service where AT&T reserves the right to change the service at any time. Again, pretty standard for these kinds if agreements. The question here is whether it was reasonable for AT&T to change the terms practically overnight. Frankly it wasn't, and no one would make an agreement with a company where such knee-jerk practices were to take place. The unlimited service was hyped by both AT&T and Apple since the iPad announcement a few months ago, and the service has only been live for a little over a month before AT&T, without any warning or prior indication to the public that it was discontinuing the service, abruptly pulled the plug. With that background, look up section 17200 of California's business and professions code. It's a favorite of plaintiffs class action attorneys.

The real issue here is damages, and there isn't anyone who will have anything close to a legitimate claim for damages. AT&T more than likely was aware of that condition and that's probably one of the major reasons why it felt empowered to pull a stunt like this. Make no mistake, these guys are bottom feeders. Don't think for a second that the change was made to benefit consumers. The recent, rather major hike for early termination charges, capped access plans across the board, the abrupt about face on the iPad's signature contract-free unlimited plan, all in the shadow of new iPhones and the unlocked 3G iPad.

It all means one thing: AT&T is circling it's wagons trying to lock in profit just in case there is a major exodus if unlocked iPhones appear (joining the unlocked iPad) and, gasp, the curse of real, legit competition should beset poor AT&T.

The ironic thing is the 2 GB plan is, by AT&T network performance standards, (at least were I live) effectively an unlimited plan. I can't imagine blowing through 2 GB in a month on AT&T's overpriced and underperforming excuse for mobile Internet access. That's the biggest joke of all.

The problem is all of 'em are, more than likely, just as bad as AT&T. If we are ever to get decent internet access in this country, it will only happen if, somehow, the companies that provide access in Korea and Japan come over here and set up shop.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Check the Facebook link again. The AT&T rep backtracked and "clarified" that you will have to auto renew each month in order to keep the unlimited plan. So there is no starting on the unlimited plan then "pausing" for a month or more, then going back to unlimited. Not gonna happen.

And yes, this has to rank as one of the worst PR disasters ever. Actually more than a PR problem really.

Wow, only slightly overstated. :D

SailorMike

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
Orlando
Can anyone tell me why the Apple store stills says that we can have start/stop unlimited?

"In the United States, 3G service is available through a breakthrough deal with AT&T. You choose the amount of data per month you want to buy — 250MB or unlimited. If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly data limit so you can decide whether to turn off 3G or upgrade to the unlimited plan. Best of all, there’s no long-term contract. So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you’ll be traveling and cancel when you get back. You don’t need to visit a store to get 3G service. You can sign up, check your data usage, manage your account, or cancel your service — all from your iPad."

That feels criminal and wrong. Sure AT&T can lie to us, but why you , Apple?

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Check the Facebook link again. The AT&T rep backtracked and "clarified" that you will have to auto renew each month in order to keep the unlimited plan. So there is no starting on the unlimited plan then "pausing" for a month or more, then going back to unlimited. Not gonna happen.

Guess you haven' seen the oil spill. This is a 4/5 outside of geek world ;)

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
The market will not tolerate Sustained high prices for internet usage. This is 2010. What may now be a rise in prices for some is a minor upward movement on a graph that is still trending downward. Competition ensures prices will fall--in electronics and communications it always does. This time will be no different. You'll see. No biggie.
Your assuming that there is honest competition, an idea not supported in business today.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Guess you haven' seen the oil spill. This is a 4/5 outside of geek world ;)

I have seen the oil spill and that's not a PR problem, that's a disaster. The CEO of BP, on the other hand, is a PR problem, to the extent that no one ever told him that opening his mouth wasn't exactly a good idea.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Can anyone tell me why the Apple store stills says that we can have start/stop unlimited?

"In the United States, 3G service is available through a breakthrough deal with AT&T. You choose the amount of data per month you want to buy — 250MB or unlimited. If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly data limit so you can decide whether to turn off 3G or upgrade to the unlimited plan. Best of all, there’s no long-term contract. So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you’ll be traveling and cancel when you get back. You don’t need to visit a store to get 3G service. You can sign up, check your data usage, manage your account, or cancel your service — all from your iPad."

That feels criminal and wrong. Sure AT&T can lie to us, but why you , Apple?
I've been wondering the same thing; why is that still up there on Apple's website? I can (and I'm sure you can too) think of several unlikely explanations involving other carriers, but the likeliest thing seems to be they're just not updating their website until the very last minute. Sure seems like false advertising!

Also wondering about the deliberate obtuseness of many, i.e. oh gee, 2GB is plenty! Obviously, the big deal is the no-contract part, the reduced data limit is the lesser annoyance. Doesn't affect me, I have WiFi model, but it would annoy me off big time if I had decided on the 3G model.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I don't see what you guys are all confused about. I'm not even an AT&T customer and I understand the new policy.

Basically if your sim is activated by the cut off you will have the ability to purchase unlimited 3g for life.

It took AT&T 60 days to reneg on their initial offering. If you think you can trust them to stick to a grandfather clause for LIFE, you're truly P.T. Barnum's kinda guy.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Really? That's why you bought your 3G iPad???
No, I did not buy the iPad 3G for the unlimited 3G service. In fact my first month was with the 250MB plan. Upgraded to the unlimited plan to be sure I was grandfathered in.

Game over.

Actually there is a contract... a month to month auto bill. Forgot the wording of the agreement about changes in the pricing... but that won't stop lawsuits from maybe being filed anyways.

The iPad 3G will still sell. Just not as many maybe. Like I said people love the words unlimited or free. And unlimited 3G for $30 is a bargain, even if most would end up using less than 2GB a month.

Mike Oxsaw

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Actually there is a contract... a month to month auto bill. Forgot the wording of the agreement about changes in the pricing... but that won't stop lawsuits from maybe being filed anyways.

The iPad 3G will still sell. Just not as many maybe. Like I said people love the words unlimited or free. And unlimited 3G for $30 is a bargain, even if most would end up using less than 2GB a month.

I agree, it changes the entire dynamic. Unlimited is essentially carefree - despite the fact that most people won't get there - 2GB imposes limits.

Now, with anything that consumes data - like for example streaming or downloading movies - you have to think about whether you're going to bust through your limit.

One of the key selling points of the ipad is being able to do much of what you could on a laptop virtually anywhere. Now you're forced to choose if you really want to watch that movie because you watched one a couple of weeks ago and you may go through your limit.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Don't get mad... Get even...

Seriously, if the iPad 3G was launched with the 2GB capped plan, it would not have sold nearly as well as it did.

Many of those iPad 3G purchases were based on the reasonable expectation that the ability to cancel and restart a "breakthrough" unlimited data plan would last longer than a month after the device shipped to customers.... and now a no contract, cancel anytime plan has turned into a de facto contract.... so if you ever let that unlimited plan lapse, you can't ever get it back.

I know of quite a few people who have filed complaints with the FTC against Apple and AT&T for this bait and switch.

Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. §§ 41-58, as amended)
Under this Act, the Commission is empowered, among other things, to (a) prevent unfair methods of competition, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce; (b) seek monetary redress and other relief for conduct injurious to consumers; (c) prescribe trade regulation rules defining with specificity acts or practices that are unfair or deceptive, and establishing requirements designed to prevent such acts or practices; (d) conduct investigations relating to the organization, business, practices, and management of entities engaged in commerce; and (e) make reports and legislative recommendations to Congress.

Don't just get mad. Join us!

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en

Attachments

• att_ipad_3g_plan_details-e1272478092912.jpg
    att_ipad_3g_plan_details-e1272478092912.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 81
  • ipad_data_plan.jpg
    ipad_data_plan.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 72

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I agree, it changes the entire dynamic. Unlimited is essentially carefree - despite the fact that most people won't get there - 2GB imposes limits.

Now, with anything that consumes data - like for example streaming or downloading movies - you have to think about whether you're going to bust through your limit.

One of the key selling points of the ipad is being able to do much of what you could on a laptop virtually anywhere. Now you're forced to choose if you really want to watch that movie because you watched one a couple of weeks ago and you may go through your limit.

I am surprised that there have been no cries of foul play on the unlimited aspect of the current $30 3G plan, or even a lawsuit over the lack of being able to download certain apps or update to apps.

Been doing a torture test here since signing up for unlimited service of sorts. Been trying to use my iPad 3G only in 3G mode since June 3rd. Limiting use of my iMac and MBP to things that the iPad can't handle - Hulu and some sessions with friends on video chat...

The reason for this test is because I have heard from more than a few folks that have seen my iPad that they thought it would be a great way to break free from a real computer for themselves or for their computer-less relatives. And for those same folk that don't have affordable or available internet access at home. And for some power geeks out there that want 24-7 net access for anything they want.

So far in two days I have used 513MB's of data. Watched some shows on ABC (only one full episode so far), some YouTube videos, IM+ chats, lots of news reading, some updating and buying of the iPad apps (though some require me to go wifi to update or purchase :( - what part of unlimited did AT&T or Apple not understand? LOL Though only a fool would try to dl Elements over 3G! ), a drive to work this morn using Maps as a poor mans GPS, and a couple of hours on Pandora.

I have yet to try to buy a video from iTunes (not sure if that would work anyways with my lack of success on some apps so far) or try to buy an album or book.

Some of this test is about when I did lots of travel, when I had to pay $10 a day for wifi. Or hunt for a cafe with free wifi. Was sort of fun to watch an episode on ABC, listen to Pandora, and read some of a book while resting in the shade at the park...

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
It took AT&T 60 days to reneg on their initial offering. If you think you can trust them to stick to a grandfather clause for LIFE, you're truly P.T. Barnum's kinda guy.

AT&T announced it two month ago, but in fact it was only available for sign-up a mere 35 days before the announcement they were going to metered plans.

Pretty much everyone who had an iPad on pre-order and delivered on April 30th or thereabouts, got to enjoy completing one month on this plan. Most others who had delivery in early to mid May, did not even have a chance to complete the first month before the news came out.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I don't see what you guys are all confused about. I'm not even an AT&T customer and I understand the new policy.

Basically if your sim is activated by the cut off you will have the ability to purchase unlimited 3g for life. If it's after the cut off you will only be able to purhase the 2gb max.

Any ipad ordered before the cutoff will be able to activate and use the unlimited package as they understand there is supply issues.

What's so confusing?

For life?

I'm sorry. My condolences to the family

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.