Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AnandTech reports that the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 will find its way into one major manufacturer in about a week:
There is one BIG notebook manufacturer that has not announced along side with ATI, but will do so and ship in approximately a week. We can't say more than that for the moment, but it is definitely a design win that ATI will be touting. We will cover more on it when the time comes.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Apple? 7% does not equal BIG.

He is refering to DELL which always seems to spec NVidia with a option to add ATI.

Anand would never refer to Apple as big. He usually pokes fun at Apple.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Originally posted by lewdvig

He is refering to DELL which always seems to spec NVidia with a option to add ATI.

True! I do agree with that statement.
What ever happened to the BIG announcement of the 9800PRO 256MB Video Card for the G5:confused:

I sent AIT an email and will post the reply as soon as I get it.

John

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
True in a sense but even many in the PC world acknowledge Apples success with the PowerBook line. Also its not the percentage of sales that make Apple big it is the number of units sold that would attrack ATI.

Lets face it if Apple hasn't successfully transformed the PowerBook with a 970 they will need whatever advantage they can get. Besides its about a week until IBM formally unviels the advance features in the 970. I could see this all coming together, in a rather nice PowerBook++.

Dave

Originally posted by lewdvig

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
He's not referring to Dell or Apple. He's obviously not referring to Apple... Apple doesn't announce products through websites or anything like that. But Dell is never the first to jump on the bandwagon either. He's probably going to announce alienware or voodoopc's notebook. Doesn't matter that much, because it's only a matter of time before more and more manufacturers use it. I'm sure Apple will put it in their notebooks. If not the next one (g4 speed bump?), the one after...
-Kevin

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by spaceballl
He's not referring to Dell or Apple. He's obviously not referring to Apple... Apple doesn't announce products through websites or anything like that.

Apple doesn't annoucne products through websites?

Well the only way it would be Apple that would make the word "big" be used appropriatly would be G5 POWERBOOK.
One can dream right?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Let me clarify my statement about websites. I meant reviewer websites. Often, the day a new product is released, NDAs are released, and all of these reviews of it come out on the same day (that's usually how ATi and nVidia release their graphics chips). I'm just saying that Apple avoids using reviewer websites for promotion.
-Kevin

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Alienware and Voodoo PC are insignificant. Hardly B_I_G.

Most of Anand's test rigs are supplied by Dell - you know when he says he can't tell you who made the laptop but he gives lots of benchmarks - those are Dells. Just like Tom.

Anand does not have to stoop to getting advance stuff from Alienware and Voodo. His buddies at Intel and ATI will get him the REAL goods.

A 9700 and a G4 is stupid. The G4 can't even feed the 9600 Mobility.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Originally posted by spaceballl
Let me clarify my statement about websites. I meant reviewer websites. Often, the day a new product is released, NDAs are released, and all of these reviews of it come out on the same day (that's usually how ATi and nVidia release their graphics chips). I'm just saying that Apple avoids using reviewer websites for promotion.
-Kevin

I agree! There is always as significant delay between the release of an Apple product and the time reviews for it get posted. The delay is for everybody - from C|Net (I know, they're biased) to MacFormat (the Mac magazine).

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
MacCentral had some speculation that Apple may be interested in this technology eventhough they weren't listed as a company using this graphics card. Just an FYI.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I read that this card emits so much heat that it doesn't fit in small laptops. So the Powerbooks will not use it in the near future, I bet.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Apple already integrates ATI mobile chips and will probably move to the 9700 with the next release. Especially with the new power savings through both dynamic voltage and frequency slewing, an idea no doubt Apple has helped them with.

But for the most part Apple is a major consumer of ATI mobility products. When you consider that most Wintel Notebooks ship with Intel's default chipset GPU, actually well over 50% of the Wintel Notebook market ships with Intel graphics chips. A market Intel does not plan to let go of. That is one of the reasons why the Powerbooks and iBooks are such great deals when you consider the whole system including the kickass GPU's in them.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Originally posted by stingerman
Apple already integrates ATI mobile chips and will probably move to the 9700 with the next release. Especially with the new power savings through both dynamic voltage and frequency slewing, an idea no doubt Apple has helped them with.

Hah! Educate yourself - ATI has had this tech for YEARS and it's been in every Mobility part since the M6.

The 9700 is the M11.

I think everyone had this implemented before Apple.

luggnutt

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by dho
next tuesday to be exact ;)

Indeed? No teasing now. Spill the beans. A comemnt like this is just annoying unless you give your support and cause for suspicion (or knowledge).

slightly

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
Beacon, NY
"next tuesday to be exact"

I think Dho is just using the accepted Apple rumour parlance there. It's like saying "Next year in Jerusalem" at Passover.

:)

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro

Regarding availability of 256MB RADEON 9800 PRO Mac Special Edition:

At this time ATI does not have an exact time of availability of the card. Please keep posted to http://www.ati.com for updates.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Kally Prassad
Customer Care
ATI Technologies, Inc.
ati.com

djdarlek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by Veldek
I read that this card emits so much heat that it doesn't fit in small laptops. So the Powerbooks will not use it in the near future, I bet.

aha, well I guess when the G5 PowerBook finally does see the light of day, we can all rejoice by selling our cookers towards the downpayment.

:D < my first smiey

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
If I had to put my money on it, I'd bet this card will never see the light of day into an Apple laptop. When the G4s get speed bumps, that's alll they'll get. they won't swap in a new card. By the time the G5s come out, ATi will have shrunk the die on this chip / improved it for the next one which will run cooler. Apple will use that.
-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.