Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Originally posted by lewdvig
Hah! Educate yourself - ATI has had this tech for YEARS and it's been in every Mobility part since the M6.

The 9700 is the M11.

I think everyone had this implemented before Apple.

Um... on PCs its always been software driven and non-dynamic. With this version, Apple wouldn't need to build a GUI for this, it could be totally driver-based and the driver can adjust the card itself, without any else's input. However, i still doubt that Apple will use this in their laptops until the heat requirements drops.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Re: It was Dell!

Originally posted by verb
Dell was the laptop manufacturer that is now using the Radeon 9700 and it is upgradeable just like the Alienware Area-51m.

I gotta say, that laptop sure looks sweet and it's about the same price as a top of the line powerbook, but probably 2x as fast.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/inspiron_xps?c=us&l=en&s=gen

What a monster, I currently carry a "desktop replacement" instead of a laptop, but that thing makes even my old Inspiron 8100 look positively dainty! It'd be great for a lan party.

verb

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
I wish Apple would see this trend towards desktop replacements or "desknotes" as they are called. Many of us want the ability to tote our computer around the house or too/from work, but aren't actually traveling with it. Most Mac owners I know that travel for work lug around a work laptop that is not a Mac. Therefore I'd argue portability isn't the #1 concern for powerbook and ibook users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.