Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Is there a way to create your own .ipa and upload to Apple TV, The iPwn store is great but sometimes doesn't upload the newest versions.
1-in Xcode choose the option above Apple TV simulator ,no need to connect the Apple TV to pc
2- enter your build indentifier name in provenancetv and top shelf

3- in Xcode tab find the "archive" option and select that

4- once archive is done , right click archive and select show in finder

5- right click the archive and select show package content

6- inside this folder find the provenance app, open iTunes and drag the app into iTunes

7- let it load and search for provenance in iTunes , right click and show in finder

8- you got yourself an IPA file

Reactions: profets

jaysue

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Tolleson, AZ
1-in Xcode choose the option above Apple TV simulator ,no need to connect the Apple TV to pc
2- enter your build indentifier name in provenancetv and top shelf

3- in Xcode tab find the "archive" option and select that

4- once archive is done , right click archive and select show in finder

5- right click the archive and select show package content

6- inside this folder find the provenance app, open iTunes and drag the app into iTunes

7- let it load and search for provenance in iTunes , right click and show in finder

8- you got yourself an IPA file

Sweet, I will try that out when I get a chance, thanks.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
8bitdo icade controller support was added to the regular provenance app
Just update the app to use it

Also added recently to provenance atv4 hold down on a game cover and you get the option to add it as a favorite , favorites will appear on top recently played games

And from before Atari 2600 & 7800 work now too

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My favourite way of playing classic games is to play classic consoles connected to classic TV's ;)
Or, playing classic games on modern consoles via their respective online storefronts.

dawgfang

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2005
Atlanta
Is giving your UDID to ipwnstore safe? From my limited research they have been around and have a great reputation.
Any pitfalls to look out for? Thanks in advance.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
My apologies. My Apple TV is jailbroken.

people who are jailbroken how do you install apps like kodi and provenance on atv4 ?
i don't want to rely on nitotv or a cydia AppStore to update provenance on tvos for me , i know how to get the .ipa and install via ifunbox ,but if you do it this way won't the 7 day limit be active ?

seems like apple is cracking down on ipwnstore and ipastore, mine still works but a lot of people are having problems with the service being down now and I'm reading sideloaded apps from these services not working on tvos 10.1.3 beta
https://www.reddit.com/r/sideloaded/comments/5q3aqi/question_using_ipwnstore_on_ios_103_beta_1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sideloaded/comments/5oubdg/question_ipwnstore_replacements/

and today i read the nitotv dev is working on a jailbreak for tvOS 10.1, I'm currently on 10.1.1 so i need to downgrade while i still can
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/01/28/tvos-10-1-jailbreak-possibility/

i just wanna know from people who are or where on a jailbroken atv4 how did you install apps from github without any time limit ?

my ipwnstore 1 year expires in a few months anyway

JDM2119

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
people who are jailbroken how do you install apps like kodi and provenance on atv4 ?
i don't want to rely on nitotv or a cydia AppStore to update provenance on tvos for me , i know how to get the .ipa and install via ifunbox ,but if you do it this way won't the 7 day limit be active ?

seems like apple is cracking down on ipwnstore and ipastore, mine still works but a lot of people are having problems with the service being down now and I'm reading sideloaded apps from these services not working on tvos 10.1.3 beta
https://www.reddit.com/r/sideloaded/comments/5q3aqi/question_using_ipwnstore_on_ios_103_beta_1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sideloaded/comments/5oubdg/question_ipwnstore_replacements/

and today i read the nitotv dev is working on a jailbreak for tvOS 10.1, I'm currently on 10.1.1 so i need to downgrade while i still can
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/01/28/tvos-10-1-jailbreak-possibility/

i just wanna know from people who are or where on a jailbroken atv4 how did you install apps from github without any time limit ?

my ipwnstore 1 year expires in a few months anyway

Hey Che, ddo you know if the instruction videos on page 1 to install provenance via developer account are still good or if any steps have changed? I had ipwnstore for a year but my sub expired and it seems like they are a no go now. Thinking of going the $99 developer account route if that is my only option.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Che, ddo you know if the instruction videos on page 1 to install provenance via developer account are still good or if any steps have changed? I had ipwnstore for a year but my sub expired and it seems like they are a no go now. Thinking of going the $99 developer account route if that is my only option.

Supposedly you can do it with a free account but the certificate expires weekly so you'll have to redo it constantly. I'm thinking of trying it for a week or two before I jump in with the money.

devincentis

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
I wonder how AppleTV 4k works with Provenance now. 4k classic games?

Don’t know for sure as I don’t have one but would think the same, except that you wirelessly connect to Xcode (which would be nice).

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I wonder how AppleTV 4k works with Provenance now. 4k classic games?

I suppose a good software upscaler could be created for it. There’s certainly plenty of evidence around these days of how much our classic games can be improved on with careful treatment of the rendering. Albeit the majority of that has been done in hardware or on proprietary systems.

But, it’s software, it’s technically possible. It’s just whether or not anybody has the time to develop it.

In the meantime I’ll probably throw Provenance back on the Apple TV to see how it’s holding up in upscaled 4K.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
So no more wires. That is definitely is a hurdle out of the way. How long do you have to author Provenance again with a developer account? It used to be 3 months didn't it?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
provenance 1.4 is out with ps1 support and crt filter , plus other systems
and 4k support for provenance interface
https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance/releases/tag/1.4

New:

• Pokémon Mini
  • Virtual Boy
  • Atari 7800 & Lynx
  • PlayStation
  • Neo Geo Pocket / Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 (CD)
  • SuperGrafx
  • PC-FX
  • WonderSwan
  • CRT Shader
  • Importer improvements (MD5 matching and performance improvements)

signulous has it on the site i got it installed on my atv 4k

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
got provenance working using this service, no 7 day limit , 12 months
https://signulous.com
$15

on the apple tv 4k

follow this guide connecting atv4k to Xcode wireless
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ugging-in-xcode-9-with-ios-11-apple-tv-4k-etc
had to reboot mac then it worked

got the iPa from signulous and I'm back in business
Nice to see a new service up and running with the 4k appletv without the usb-c port. I wanted to upgrade to this one but was waiting for a service like this and a walkthrough. Im assuming Kodi is available with signulous also. Ill check about popcorn time also.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Im considering installing Provenance on my AppleTV 4k again. Looking back through the instructions Im not sure where I go to download the latest files. I downloaded 1.4 which I though was the latest but it just downloaded an .ipa file instead of all the Provenance files. Whats the difference in the different files here?

Last, I signed up to be a developer on Apple. How long does Provenance work currently 7 days?

How does Signulous work with Provenance? Do I still use Xcode to install?

devincentis

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
Im considering installing Provenance on my AppleTV 4k again. Looking back through the instructions Im not sure where I go to download the latest files. I downloaded 1.4 which I though was the latest but it just downloaded an .ipa file instead of all the Provenance files. Whats the difference in the different files here?

Last, I signed up to be a developer on Apple. How long does Provenance work currently 7 days?

How does Signulous work with Provenance? Do I still use Xcode to install?

It currently only works 7 days and yes you still use Xcode to install. I haven't tried Signulous, if you have success please let me know.

I'd download the full program here (the "Clone or Download" green button):

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance

Matt OS X

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Hi guys! I'm a newbie here in this forum. It's all because I want to be able to play my NES on my apple TV 4th Generation. I found plenty of how to's on internet/Youtube but the problem is that these information are outdated with 2015/2016/2017 instructions that are not applied to today version. please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I have everything what I need to make this task accomplish but I'm stuck with Xcode version 9.4 and how can I sign up for a free apple developer account? I did tried but it forces me to pay $99 membership which I don't want to. How?

My apple TV is running on tvOS 11.4.1 (build 15M73), I have Xcode 9.4 and what else am I missing or?

Does anyone have or know there's a updated youtube video or url link that will help me to accomplish by installing Provenance on my apple tv with today versions. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Frankly you're better off just buying a NES Mini. Setting up emulators, and keeping them running (developer certificates expire after a while) is such a pain it really isn't worth it. Plus they suffer from a lot of input lag. To make matters even worse it's becoming increasingly difficult to find ROMs, as Nintendo have recently been shutting all the big ones down.

The NES and SNES Mini are really nice little products. Plus you get the real controllers, which makes a big difference.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Frankly you're better off just buying a NES Mini. Setting up emulators, and keeping them running (developer certificates expire after a while) is such a pain it really isn't worth it. Plus they suffer from a lot of input lag. To make matters even worse it's becoming increasingly difficult to find ROMs, as Nintendo have recently been shutting all the big ones down.

The NES and SNES Mini are really nice little products. Plus you get the real controllers, which makes a big difference.

Agreed - Also, do yourself a favor and upgrade to the wireless 8bitdo controllers.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009

I agree with this except you should mod the nes / snes classic and add more games

Much easier to do then appletv and provenance

And less lag , plus you get a genuine Nintendo controller

Reactions: PhoenixDown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.