Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Think those build numbers quoted are incorrect
From the Home App on the Mini. Also I see the same information on the iPad and iPhone. Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 10.17.33 PM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 9.10.19 AM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 9.20.10 AM.jpg

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Update: finally got the HomePods to update to 17. Had to remove them from Home and do a Factory reset (three times) before they would update. Tried to connect them to the MAC and do the reset from it but that didn't work, so had to do it from a Power OFF reset. PS: make sure they are on the same WiFi that you want them to be on or you will half to go through changing that also :).

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
Update: finally got the HomePods to update to 17. Had to remove them from Home and do a Factory reset (three times) before they would update. Tried to connect them to the MAC and do the reset from it but that didn't work, so had to do it from a Power OFF reset. PS: make sure they are on the same WiFi that you want them to be on or you will half to go through changing that also :).
I said it was a bit of a faff 😂

Reactions: Kenny99

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
I have noticed a significant improvement in sound distribution on Atmos programmes, some proper behind me noises. The overall sound seems bolder to me on this version. Albeit with a few restarts a week due to only one of a pair working, and some very ropey lipsync. Music also seems better to my ear.(mine are the original HomePods not the newest ones)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
audioOS 17 beta only works on HomePod (gen 2). Is that just for the beta or will the original HomePods not get an update?

rti92391

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Don’t attempt the latest beta release unless you’re very brave, it’s a mess 😂
What problems are you seeing? So far, across four minis and a second gen HomePod, I haven’t seen any glaring issues

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
What problems are you seeing? So far, across four minis and a second gen HomePod, I haven’t seen any glaring issues
Pairing not working, tv audio through ARC or apple tv only going to one speaker second speaker has to be manually adjusted. Couldn’t unpair and repair to check, lipsync on apple tv terrible, resorted to Firestick in the end.

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
I only really use my Mini for music and airplaying audiobooks from my iPad, but I've had no issues since updating. The first beta seemed to have a bit of an issue with taking longer to start airplay, but that's working fine now.

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
Still not seeing AudioOS 17 developer betas for my OGs. Reading above it's not clear to me how some are getting this installed, unless adding a non-Apple website audioOS profile.

Minis are fine.

All other devices are on latest developer betas as well. Can anyone elaborate?

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
Still not seeing AudioOS 17 developer betas for my OGs. Reading above it's not clear to me how some are getting this installed, unless adding a non-Apple website audioOS profile.

Minis are fine.

All other devices are on latest developer betas as well. Can anyone have you tried using the steps i posted esrlier in this thread ?

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
Have you tried using the steps i posted earlier in this thread ?
I’ve read your posts. Not clear on which instructions you’re suggesting. My phone is on latest iOS 17 developer beta so there’s no profile installed under HomePods yet the minis update fine.

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
I’ve read your posts. Not clear on which instructions you’re suggesting. My phone is on latest iOS 17 developer beta so there’s no profile installed under HomePods yet the minis update fine.
I posted a video of how i got it installed, but first i had to uninstall the ios16 beta profiles.

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
I posted a video of how i got it installed, but first i had to uninstall the ios16 beta profiles.
That’s the thing. I didn’t have the beta 16 profile installed. On iOS 16 you could just toggle receive beta updates which is how I got to 17. You don’t need to install profiles anymore. I tried but it doesn’t seem to accept them because if this new feature. Sorry if I’m being dense.

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
That’s the thing. I didn’t have the beta 16 profile installed. On iOS 16 you could just toggle receive beta updates which is how I got to 17. You don’t need to install profiles anymore. I tried but it doesn’t seem to accept them because if this new feature. Sorry if I’m being dense.
I have to install a profile on my original HomePods, the mini we have doesn’t need one.

Reactions: Mjoshea148

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
The OG Homepod does not have access to the official developer/public beta program. Only the 2nd Gen Homepod and the Mini do. For installing audioOS 17 beta on an original homepod, you´ll have to manually find and install the prive "invite only" dev profile.

In my opinion, is not worth it. The unit could get brick or die like in past beta firmwares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.