Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tutburymac

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2019
The OG Homepod does not have access to the official developer/public beta program. Only the 2nd Gen Homepod and the Mini do. For installing audioOS 17 beta on an original homepod, you´ll have to manually find and install the prive "invite only" dev profile.

In my opinion, is not worth it. The unit could get brick or die like in past beta firmwares.
My original HomePods are on the official Beta program.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I´ll be brave and dare to ask: Has homekit performance been finally fixed?

Well, my doorbell detection accuracy has varied massively through the 17 beta cycle and is far better when the ATV is the main hub as opposed to any of my HomePods. Other than that it’s actually been pretty good. I would say as good as it’s ever been.

• Love
Reactions: B/D and Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Well, my doorbell detection accuracy has varied massively through the 17 beta cycle and is far better when the ATV is the main hub as opposed to any of my HomePods. Other than that it’s actually been pretty good. I would say as good as it’s ever been.
Wow, that’s great news. Looking forward to it next month.

• Love
Reactions: StumpyBloke and B/D

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Wow, that’s great news. Looking forward to it next month.

If I remember, awhile ago, you asked if anyone had any luck in asking Siri to turn off a device after a particular amount of time via HomePod. I use that quite a lot and it’s almost instant now. In other words, I ask my HomePod to do it and within a second she comes back and says she set such and such a device to go off at my required time. So there is massive improvement in the responsiveness there at least.

• Love
Reactions: Itinj24 and B/D

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
If I remember, awhile ago, you asked if anyone had any luck in asking Siri to turn off a device after a particular amount of time via HomePod. I use that quite a lot and it’s almost instant now. In other words, I ask my HomePod to do it and within a second she comes back and says she set such and such a device to go off at my required time. So there is massive improvement in the responsiveness there at least.
It actually started working again on 16.6 about a week or so ago. My guess is it was some server side tweaks Apple was doing for OS 17.

However, it was and still is very delayed. I always got the, “working on that” “still on it” and then it would finally complete after ~10 seconds. Was never instant so this is even more to look forward to 👍🏻. Appreciate the update.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Maybe the HomePod software wouldn’t be so trashy is they made the beta program for it more and easier accessible. Just thinking out loud here…

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
I am not sure, I get an email from apple and install the profiles, as per my earlier video.Maybe I am “lucky”

Well, if you are a developer that makes sense.They "selected you" (along with others dev, of course) in this round to test the homepod beta software.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
Has anyone experienced Homepod not playing next song?
I mean, it'd randomly stuck on the last second of the song and not playing the next song.
There's still plenty of songs in the queue tho.
I think it happened since beta 2 and kept happening until the latest beta.

My 2 Homepods paired with Apple TV (4K 3rd gen with latest beta), already tried to ungroup them, still happening

It's very frustrated, I thought it might be with the first few betas, but it kept happening all the time with random music on Apple Music.

vyspirit

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2017
Hello, does anyone have the new HomePod 17 Beta profile? It seems like the old one is no longer valid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.