Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invenoveritas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
Does anyone know how one could go about joining AUP and getting a Sim-Free phone? Not a Verizon phone but a Sim-free phone. I know its pedantic but thought somebody here would probably know. I chatted with an Apple agent and they said AUP wasn't available with Sim-Free but maybe someone has had a different in-store experience since Sim-Free has come available. Also says activation is required with AUP in the footnotes but maybe store reps aren't enforcing that?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Does anyone know how one could go about joining AUP and getting a Sim-Free phone? Not a Verizon phone but a Sim-free phone. I know its pedantic but thought somebody here would probably know. I chatted with an Apple agent and they said AUP wasn't available with Sim-Free but maybe someone has had a different in-store experience since Sim-Free has come available. Also says activation is required with AUP in the footnotes but maybe store reps aren't enforcing that?

iUP is only available on the AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon iPhones.

Out of curiously, why does it need to be SIM free? It's the same as the Sprint/Verizon model except for the missing SIM card and the included ejector tool.

invenoveritas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
My situation is: 1) I'd like to use AUP, 2) I have a T-Mobile account, 3) I don't want to enroll in AUP with T-Mobile activated Phone that is GSM only. I mean if I thought I could enroll with AUP using T-Mobile and get a Verizon phone, I'd do that but don't think they'll do that. I'm actually surprised they don't do AUP with Sim-free, I mean it makes me wonder if there is some sort of incentive/agreement between Apple and those 4 carriers.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
iUP is only available on the AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon iPhones.

Out of curiously, why does it need to be SIM free? It's the same as the Sprint/Verizon model except for the missing SIM card and the included ejector tool.
They will only sell you a Verizon or Sprint model on the AiUP if you have an active Verizon or Sprint account.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My situation is: 1) I'd like to use AUP, 2) I have a T-Mobile account, 3) I don't want to enroll in AUP with T-Mobile activated Phone that is GSM only. I mean if I thought I could enroll with AUP using T-Mobile and get a Verizon phone, I'd do that but don't think they'll do that. I'm actually surprised they don't do AUP with Sim-free, I mean it makes me wonder if there is some sort of incentive/agreement between Apple and those 4 carriers.

That's a pretty good reason. Thanks for the explanation!

Reactions: invenoveritas

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
if I thought I could enroll with AUP using T-Mobile and get a Verizon phone, I'd do that but don't think they'll do that.
I don't think they do that but you could ask them.
[doublepost=1476505693][/doublepost]
I'm actually surprised they don't do AUP with Sim-free
The SIM free was just released today. They may do that in the future. I would keep checking with Apple on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.